• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do you care how others feel?

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I care, sometimes too much where I end up getting hurt. Sometimes I feel too much empathy for some people, especially ones who were mistreated, outcasted..

I know- it's really a horrible flaw, because sometimes, when I just want to shun some people away, I simply don't for the mere fact that I don't have the heart to.

I guess it depends on the person. Some people I don't care that much for, at all.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I care because I am an empath. The empathy precedes the caring. This is why I detach and become almost rudely uncaring when another's feelings are too strong, because they overwhelm me.

I always find it interesting to hear things like this. My sister (ENFJ) says similar things and they're quite fascinating to me.

I'm nowhere near an empath but I still care a lot about a lot of people. I wonder if empaths consider empathy actually a prerequisite for caring, cos sometimes I think my sister thinks that because I don't JOIN IN with the way she feels, I therefore don't care... :(

I personally find that NOT being empathic actually helps me to care more uh, well, efficiently, a lot of the time... so, being detached I think improves my caring ability so it's interesting to hear you say detaching makes you rude and uncaring... :huh:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Me me me me.

I do care about my close friends, alot, just that I never show my concern. And if I don't like the person, don't expect me to care at all. My 'care' for people is basically based on these three factors: respect, closeness, and vulnerability.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Within reason. I try to avoid unnecessary harm whether or not someone is a close friend. I just don't want to be responsible for anyone feeling bad. But irrational, unstable people irritate me and I sometimes against my better judgment go out of my may to annoy them. They like histrionics and I like to indulge them.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I guess this is an NF type topic.
How much do you care how others feel?
In light of the idea that you can't control how others feel, how much should you really care?

Frankly, I enjoy caring about others... But there are times when I decide NOT to give a darn. Actually, I am leaning towards the understanding that in caring about my own feelings, its best to focus on them, and let others manage their own emotions...

Sometimes it feels like being a bad guy, but it seems important to staying happy.

Any ideas, thoughts, feelings?
How much do you care?
:heart:
1.)Depends on how close I am to them. Not that if I'm not close to them I wish them pain, well unless they deserve it. But I'm not going to worry too much when they're insulted. Sorry, but I'm one person and can only help so many people in a day too feel better. I'm not saying if someone is geniuinely upset I won't listen to them. I am saying that if someone is just being ass because they got less then a B on something that counts for less then 5% of their total grade I don't care.or got called a bitch by a complete stranger. things like that happen move on. are you bleeding? is this going to cause you to not be able to function in the world? probably not, and if it does then you have bigger issues and go talk to someone who gets paid to listen to people like you.

2.)As much as you want. I mean sometimes the people who always are hurt no matter what happens *cough*room mate*cough* it's just I want to give them a good slap and go so what? someone was rude to you at the store; who gives a flying fuck really? probably never gonna happen again, can we move on? No no this isn't alcohol drinking level of hurt, yet those people who think it is....I wonder what would happen if something truly terrible happened to them. How would they cope?

I probably do care, but I learned from always being the sounding board for everyones problems to filter out some feelings of others otherwise I get overloaded.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I care about how some people feel. I don't really care a lot about all the others, although it's better if they feel good, too.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always find it interesting to hear things like this. My sister (ENFJ) says similar things and they're quite fascinating to me.

I'm nowhere near an empath but I still care a lot about a lot of people. I wonder if empaths consider empathy actually a prerequisite for caring, cos sometimes I think my sister thinks that because I don't JOIN IN with the way she feels, I therefore don't care... :(

I personally find that NOT being empathic actually helps me to care more uh, well, efficiently, a lot of the time... so, being detached I think improves my caring ability so it's interesting to hear you say detaching makes you rude and uncaring... :huh:

I think this has more to do with function. You can sit back and still give a shit - this is a good thing. Empathy, on the other hand, can be a bitch to deal with until you can do more with it other than have it on or off. Because of this, it's easier just to have it off so that your head and heart aren't exploding on an hourly basis.

I think you've talked about your sister before and I'm still of the belief that she still has some growing up to do, but that's me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Everyone wants different things. You know the old "love languages" schema, correct? Sometimes you can do something loving from your end for someone but they won't recognize it.

Empathy gives me the motivation to help, but yes, it can really interfere sometimes. Because if someone's angry or hurt, I feel bad letting them suffer if I could alleviate it in some way... but rationally I sometimes see that I need to just keep a cool touch because that's what they need, and they actually need to suffer a bit and work through it on their own. And so it's also playing into my own psychological weaknesses of wanting to be liked/approved of... empathy can be used to "win me a place" with them but I can't afford to do that at their expense ultimately.

When I was focused on spiritual direction for awhile, the psychologist running the session talked about "the pull." He said that it was common for each patient to exude a "pull" -- the thing they wanted the therapist to do for them, to make them feel better, and sometimes it wasn't the best thing for them. One thing the psychologist had to do was determine how the patient was trying to influence them, so they were aware of the desire, and then they could make sure they didn't just do what the patient wanted as part of making them feel better.

So I think the empathy is great in terms of making the connection and helping the other person feel heard/accepted; but it also has to be controlled sometimes if it gets in the way of doing what is best long-term.

I totally understand disregard's comment about having to pull back if the other person's emotions get too strong.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah Jennifer, which ties into what I was saying in the thread about NT's dealing with emotions...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Semi-related anecdote: Last night my friend needed a ride to take her daughter to the ER. I dropped them off at the door, parked the van, and started walking toward the hospital. About a quarter block away it hit me that I was entering a house of suffering, so I took a deep breath and mentally said to myself "Shields Up." Silly, but it helps me get through these things.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

my dad's the same way as you, so I know that he cares but in a detached way. My mom and brother accuses him of being uncaring, but I've actually talked to him about this stuff. Also I think I understand why he does this because we are very similar in how we think the world should be dealt with, and I find him the easiest to understand out of my family. I'm not saying I get him totally, but he's the one person that I don't have to explain everything to him. He gets it, we can say alot without saying much. (makes sense?)

btw way I think he's an NT of some sort probably not an ENTJ, but not totally sure. I can see him being mostly likely an INTP

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I care to a point. Ultimately, I care about everyone.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Jennifer had it right when she said, define "care". I understand that people have the right to their own opinions about how the world works. And I understand that people have feelings that should be taken into account in certain circumstances. However, I won't agree with someone just to satisfy their need for acceptance in most cases. If I do, it's probably because of some personal goal :p. If another person's feelings involve controlling me or manipulating me in any way, I will not care a single percent about their feelings. Generally, I try to get along and observe other people passively to get a better viewpoint on the world.

Sidenote: 100th post!

ygolo

My termites win
Quite a bit.

In light of the idea that you can't control how others feel, how much should you really care?

I really dislike the notion of "control." It is my belief that we can't "control" anything. We make plans and God laughs. There are going to be unforseen circumsatnces and adjustments that always need to be made.

However, we have a great deal of "influence" in a great many things.

We can't control the outcome of a vote, but does that mean we ought not vote? We can't control if the business we work for will succeed or fail, so does that mean we shouldn't do our jobs? We can't control if our teacher is going to pass or fail us in a class, but does that mean we shouldn't do the assignments?

I think it is the same thing with other peoples' feelings. He have no control over others' feelings (and even if we hypothetically did, we have no right to control them). However, I think it is still important to be kind or helpful when appropriate.

To me, it is similar to anything else we care about. We have influence, but not control over what happens.

One difference is perhaps, our right to the degree of influence.

In many matters, we would be perfectly within our rights, and often even morally obligated, to gain as much influence over a situation as possible. For instance if we were designing or building a bridge, building, pace-maker, or missle guidance system--here we are obligated to gain as much influence as possible.

But when it comes to other people, we have no rights or obligations beyond being a fellow human being.

Tropics

MBTI Type
INFP
It is impossible for me not to care when people's feelings are so obvious to me even when they hide it. Sometimes I get so in tune with people I know EXACTLY what they will say before they say it. I even get visions about things that will happen to them "good or bad" that turn into reality. It's even more intense with the people closest to me. I just "know" when they need me, so when I feel it I just pick up the phone if they are not near and I'm always right. I didn't understand why I was this way until I discovered I was an Empath and that these were perfectly normal occurrences for Empaths but sometimes you have to force yourself not to care because it becomes too much but then you only succeed about 50%. For me caring is not an option I just do.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess this is an NF type topic.

Frankly, I enjoy caring about others... But there are times when I decide NOT to give a darn. Actually, I am leaning towards the understanding that in caring about my own feelings, its best to focus on them, and let others manage their own emotions...

Sometimes it feels like being a bad guy, but it seems important to staying happy.

Any ideas, thoughts, feelings?
How much do you care?
:heart:

Everyone cares.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP

Empathetic, largely lacking in sympathy.

Rogue

MBTI Type
ENFP
Oh man! I care way too much.!!!! I will try to cheer up sad people even people who are meant to me.

It sucks because most people I've met dont seem to care back!! :cry:

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I think people care, all of us just in different ways. Some people show they care with words, others by "meaningful gestures", some by taking charge and intruding in your business because in their eyes they are doing this for your own good="let me help you with this".I care about people's problems and want to help them usually...I won't say I care 24/7 about everyone that'd be lying. Although I can't feel good knowing I am doing something that is directly or indirectly hurting someone else so I withdraw on my own desire,although that makes me unhappy...I just hate feeling guilty, but I don't guilt-trip people because I hate feeling guilty myself and would not want to make anyone feel that way. Talk to me about your shoes, I will fall asleep, politics same,talk to me about your feelings I will absorb every single word and try to make you feel better if there is nothing "shady"(manipulation,attempt to guilt-trip me, being overly dependant on me for affection or etc...)