• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Ni and clairvoyance?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ass :)

I tho am intrested to hear about clairevoyance from a psychological standpoint and I am intrested to listen to your ideas.

Duke University has the largest metaphysics lab in the country. If it's good enough for Duke, it should be good enough for you Entropie. ;)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
no Schwul :D

"a self-deprecating comment about WWII" ok that I really dont understand :D

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've had experiences like these before, but it's not prominent enough for me to strongly believe I have some psychic ability.

But I don't ignore it. There are so many things unexplained in the universe and so much undiscovered, I can hardly help but imagine that it is true.

Jaguar

Duke University has the largest metaphysics lab in the country. If it's good enough for Duke, it should be good enough for you Entropie. ;)

Hi Miss Kitty--

They do psychic research at universities all over the USA-- including Harvard.
There's some mighty ignorant people in this thread.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hi Miss Kitty--

They do psychic research at universities all over the USA-- including Harvard.
There's some mighty ignorant people in this thread.

Hello Mr. Big Cat

:yes:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think berens calls Ni the foreseeing function.

it's not clairvoyant and it's not psychic. Ni types spend a lot of time after the fact processing, sifting thru information, arranging their post-perceptions. they study the past to be able to see the future, extrapolate, and, in a focused way, recognize complex relationships that tie it all together. when Ni has good information and is somewhat flexible, Ni is able to get a sense of the movement of a situation and see where it's going. when it doesn't, it's screwed and doesn't see shit.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
introverted intuitives are the most likely to experience psychic phenomena.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I forgot to including this in the first post, but I also experience deja vu on a daily basis almost. Is this common in people with Ni?

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've had experiences like these before, but it's not prominent enough for me to strongly believe I have some psychic ability.

But I don't ignore it. There are so many things unexplained in the universe and so much undiscovered, I can hardly help but imagine that it is true.

Yeah, when I was around 15-16 I really thought I had magic powers or was touched by something otherworldly with how I could read people and predict. I went around thinking I was Obi-Wan-Kenobi or some shit (translation: I could be an insufferable fat head ;) ).

Later on I realized it's really just the stuff I pick up from people and environments. It's almost like I've got this massive data bank of information in my subconscious and it just gets quietly accessed to put this more detailed picture together when I'm speaking to someone; things getting picked up from voice inflections, body language, looks in the eye, etc.

I get weird vibes from certain places too, I practically ran out of the Cathedral at Notre Dame because it wigged me out so much. I used to think those sorts of feelings were like 'messages from beyond' or something, but when I got older and took time out to examine my own processes in my head, I think it's really my imagination and putting myself in what I think are the shoes of people from the past.

Like when I was in Notre Dame, I think I was just subconsciously putting all my academic knowledge of an older time period through my mind, thinking of how it might of been like back then, looking around and wigging out with the thought "Some bad, BAD oppressive ass shit happened here", while other people were probably thinking of the tales of Victor Hugo going "Oh how cool, this is where Quasimodo ACTUALLY lived!!!".

I realized I was not as 'unique' as I thought, I met other people who had that same kind of intuition and ability to pick things up. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea that perhaps some of us have some kind of psychological/neurological remnant from the darker ages of man still hanging around in us, but I personally just don't believe in the 'messages from beyond' or the 'messages from the outer limits' type of stuff. I like writing stories about it, but I don't believe in it.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I forgot to including this in the first post, but I also experience deja vu on a daily basis almost. Is this common in people with Ni?

I used to get deja vu alot but havn't had it in a while actually.

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP
I hold the theory that ESP exists at a subconscious level higher than that normally used by most people.

We Ni's have at least one function rooted in the subconscious, with some types (such as INF's) having two. Those functions pretty much stay active all the time, but also work in conjunction with 2-3 other functions dealing with the world immediately present to us. To that end, an active Ni's intuition and/or insight functions have a wide but limited scope

When we relax mentally, such as when watching TV, we temporarily shut down our more resource-consuming mental functions to conserve energy. An Ni at rest does this to his world-interface functions, leaving his unconstrained subconscious functions to work to their maximum and take on the role of autopilot. That makes the Ni prone to episodes of freak clairvoyance about whatever appears at the forefront of his mind.

It sounds crazy and complex. But the JAGgernaut is a crazy and complex INFJ. Simple minds cannot comprehend the JAGgernaut.

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
As ole' Jack Burton sometimes says:

"Wait a minute, wait a minute, I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some unreasonable things."

I take on his sentiment. I like to think that I can logically reason through many situations and understand what is going on based on observable features. However...I have had some run-ins with the supernatural, experienced moments of clairvoyance, and suddenly felt intense "vibes" from people or things. As reasonable as I want to be...I can't deny that crazy things have happened to me before. I just have to accept that there are some aspects to our universe that we cannot yet know or comprehend.

I think if supernatural phenomena were, indeed, real (and I think they are) then what says they have to play by logical rules? That's what makes it supernatural anyway....

And yeah...I experience a hell of a lot of deja vu. Sometimes I think that I knew that I was going to experience deja vu during defa vu and sometimes it goes on for so long I can accurately predict what will happen in the next minute or so.

I like it! :jew:

Jaguar

I think if supernatural phenomena were, indeed, real (and I think they are) then what says they have to play by logical rules?

Exactly. And I'm an NT.
You cannot apply logic to the illogical.

Just because something isn't logical,
doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

When I was young, everything had to be logical.
Utter bullshit.

Logic has boundaries, walls, which imprison us.
It's ordinary.

It is only when we go beyond logic,
we can experience the extraordinary.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^I dunno about that. I think that theres an internal logic to everything even if we dont get the rules. To go with the definitive NT cliche, the more thats been learned about subatomic physics, for example, the more that we've recognize that the same rules dont apply as on a more macro level. Same could be possible with things like ESP.

WTH? Lol.

Bein a smartass after the quip you made on whatever fallacy it was in Glorianas post. Just trying to balance the undue deference you receive elsewhere :D

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Later on I realized it's really just the stuff I pick up from people and environments. It's almost like I've got this massive data bank of information in my subconscious and it just gets quietly accessed to put this more detailed picture together when I'm speaking to someone; things getting picked up from voice inflections, body language, looks in the eye, etc.

I get weird vibes from certain places too, I practically ran out of the Cathedral at Notre Dame because it wigged me out so much. I used to think those sorts of feelings were like 'messages from beyond' or something, but when I got older and took time out to examine my own processes in my head, I think it's really my imagination and putting myself in what I think are the shoes of people from the past.

Like when I was in Notre Dame, I think I was just subconsciously putting all my academic knowledge of an older time period through my mind, thinking of how it might of been like back then, looking around and wigging out with the thought "Some bad, BAD oppressive ass shit happened here", while other people were probably thinking of the tales of Victor Hugo going "Oh how cool, this is where Quasimodo ACTUALLY lived!!!".

I must say, I can totally relate to this.

I think I freak my friends out because I somehow can "sense" when they're trying to keep some problem from me and when they enter the room I immediately say stuff like, "What did you two fight about?" I just think I read non-verbal cues better. Most likely because of the "subconscious data bank," as you put it.

And places emit these vibes as well, I agree. Once, I was attending a writers' workshop and one of the fellows asked me if I could see ghosts. I said no and asked why he asked that, he said that it was the way I looked at the surroundings (we were in an old university then). I realized it was because the place (which was huge) was giving off really strong emotions in specific places (ie, extreme joy in the garden, a heavy feeling of discomfort in the conference hall, etc etc). It seemed like I was trying to "see" the emotions as I feel them.

Crazy, yes, but I didn't even realize I was doing it. Hehe.