• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Differences between INFJs and INFPs?

Curtis24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Lately, I've been wondering if I may be an INFP or not. As you can see from my profile, I usually test as INFJ.

What are some of the differences between INFJs and INFPs? And when I say this, I mean more generalized descriptions of the two types. I have a pretty good idea of the difference between each function, so don't just say "INFJs plan, INFPs improvise" etc. How do the two types come across differently?

The stereotype I've picked up is that INFJs tend to be intense and moody, INFPs are more dreamy and poetical. I know that's generalized, but is that accurate in your experience?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
infjs tend toward a general overuse of comas in their writing.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Jivin' Jeff Jones is a very good source on this one. He's an INFP.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

...Truth :)D). I use a lot more commas than I probably need to. I think this is because my ideas are racing through my head and I'm trying to get it all down before I forget it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I only can talk about them in sounds:

infp = uaeeehhhhh
infj = *yawns*

now I forgot what i wanted to say about the infj but its 20 to 5 am already -.-

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this true!? Because, I always, always, always, overuse commas, always.

Okay, we can put this down in the official INFJ profile: "Overuse commas, generally" ;)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How funny. I'm a comma-kazi too.

Comma-kazi? Ha. INFJs seem pretty wordy in general. I can write essays when inspired, but most of the time I can't be bothered to write very lengthy responses online.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
INFJs have the ability to start sentences by stating what other INFJs do and then to talk about themselves.

(5 days later)

The INFJ presents himself in a completly unique way in a thread where he actually took position concerning a topic.

(8 days later)

a significant bee flies over a dead body looking on the world from a million perspectives, a gift mankind would go crazy with :D

(13 days later)

4 so-called conformist INFJs rot together to beat out the shit of entropie, leaving him bleeding and beaten up, naked, in a corner of a back-alley, calling only the cops telling them he robbed them

(19 days later)

I should start on day 1 again, cause those happenings tend to repeat itself here, with you so-called Humanitarians :D

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^:rofl1: Entropie, you kill me. You've perfected the art of nonsensical, yet hilarious responses.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
yaya "all my friends do it to, its hilarious" :D

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
The stereotype I've picked up is that INFJs tend to be intense and moody, INFPs are more dreamy and poetical. I know that's generalized, but is that accurate in your experience?

I dunno about this. The "dreamy and poetical" thing is overplayed with most INFP profiles imo. You are just as likely to find depressed, bitter, melancholy and jaded INFPs as you are to find dreamy, poetical, seeing-the-world-through-rose-tinted glasses INFPs.

Ha, I'm sorry but INFPs tend to do that too (though maybe we overuse parentheses to disguise this failing).

While I appreciate Fidelia's vote of confidence, I think you should grill Toonia on this topic. She could probably point you to every resource on INFJ vs INFP in existence.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually dreamy and poetic vs. intense and moody doesn't really seem appropriate to me.

I think an INFP is actually much more likely to tell someone to fuck off than an INFJ. I think INFPs are probably more rebellious and counter-culture and openly "weird", and INFJs more, like, politically correct grammar nazis who knit together at bitch 'n stitch circles once a week.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ :yes: :D

Determining if you use Fe (extroverted feeling) or Fi (introverted feeling) seems to be the easiest way to tell, IMO.
Read more about the functions and take a cognitive function test, if you haven't yet.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
^ :yes: :D

Determining if you use Fe (extroverted feeling) or Fi (introverted feeling) seems to be the easiest way to tell, IMO.
Read more about the functions and take a cognitive function test, if you haven't yet.

And after that ?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And after that ?

Well, then he should have a better idea of what his type is, based on his functions and whether he sees himself using Fe or Fi. Did I spell it out for you?