• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Differences between INFJs and INFPs?

B

brainheart

Well, I hate to be the monkey-wrench, but I do this all the time too. imo, however, it does not provide evidence of being Ni - Fe. It's a behaviour. Behaviours can be attributed to multiple cause.

I type IEI in socionics too. But I am not an INFJ. I think the most definitive thing that helped me figure out the difference between the two types was the concept of J vs P. After all, I was caught up in the same trap you and [MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION] are falling into, namely that Fe is all about being nice to others and that Fi doms don't accommodate the preferences of other people. This is simplistic and not universal in any way.

So, let's look at J vs P. This is an excerpt from a page on Vicky-Jo's site, infjorinfp.com. There's a variety of stuff on that site, some of which I think it good, some is bupkis, but this I think hits enough of the mark on the communication preferences of INFJ vs INFP. See where you fall after reading this MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT:

You seem to be under the impression that I made this decision flippantly, based on some minor behavioral difference. I assure you that wasn't the case. I've read a lot and done a lot of research.

Part of how I reached that conclusion was the J vs P difference, actually- or what Jung terms rational vs irrational. Introverted intuition is an irrational (or perceiving) function. His explanation of the introverted irrational types fit me far more than the introverted rational types, which is what Fi is.

Basically this is a theoretical disagreement. MBTI categorizes INFJs by their auxiliary function vs their dominant function. That strikes me as a really dumb way to do things. It's like saying an INFJ is more Fe than Ni. For this reason, honestly, I think many INFJs are probably actually ENFJs. I think Vicky Jo is quite likely one of them.

I find it interesting that you mention behaviors and then list behaviors Vicky Jo states are the difference between the two types. The behavioral focus of MBTI and cognitive functions is what turned me away from it in the first place and on to enneagram. I am far more interested in my motivations, which is more of the enneagram emphasis. MBTI always struck me as a little shallow and trivial. But then I read Psychological Types and I realized it's just that MBTI is stupid, not the original text of Jung's.

I admit that I'm not completely sold on Fe being my auxiliary function. I think it's entirely possible that I use Ni-Fi, or that my auxiliary shifts between Fi and Fe depending on the circumstance. More than anything I'm an introverted intuitive feeler. But I do suspect that I am a Fe auxiliary, and I think it explains something quite well about myself that I haven't been able to put a finger on with my former typing of fi-ne.

To answer your question- I do both directing and informing. It depends on the situation and the context. I find Vicky Jo's way of determining type to be extremely flawed because it is a laundry list of behaviors and that means nothing to me. I'm looking for the gestalt. Laundry lists strikes me as arbitrary. My favorite sources as far as all of this goes have been Jung Psychological Types, Lenore Thomson Personality Type, and Naomi Quenk Was That Really Me?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You seem to be under the impression that I made this decision flippantly, based on some minor behavioral difference. I assure you that wasn't the case. I've read a lot and done a lot of research.

Part of how I reached that conclusion was the J vs P difference, actually- or what Jung terms rational vs irrational. Introverted intuition is an irrational (or perceiving) function. His explanation of the introverted irrational types fit me far more than the introverted rational types, which is what Fi is.

Basically this is a theoretical disagreement. MBTI categorizes INFJs by their auxiliary function vs their dominant function. That strikes me as a really dumb way to do things. It's like saying an INFJ is more Fe than Ni. For this reason, honestly, I think many INFJs are probably actually ENFJs. I think Vicky Jo is quite likely one of them.

I find it interesting that you mention behaviors and then list behaviors Vicky Jo states are the difference between the two types. The behavioral focus of MBTI and cognitive functions is what turned me away from it in the first place and on to enneagram. I am far more interested in my motivations, which is more of the enneagram emphasis. MBTI always struck me as a little shallow and trivial. But then I read Psychological Types and I realized it's just that MBTI is stupid, not the original text of Jung's.

I admit that I'm not completely sold on Fe being my auxiliary function. I think it's entirely possible that I use Ni-Fi, or that my auxiliary shifts between Fi and Fe depending on the circumstance. More than anything I'm an introverted intuitive feeler. But I do suspect that I am a Fe auxiliary, and I think it explains something quite well about myself that I haven't been able to put a finger on with my former typing of fi-ne.

To answer your question- I do both directing and informing. It depends on the situation and the context. I find Vicky Jo's way of determining type to be extremely flawed because it is a laundry list of behaviors and that means nothing to me. I'm looking for the gestalt. Laundry lists strikes me as arbitrary.
I completely agree on the bolded. I don't have the normal type Fe at all because I'm much more Ni-Ti. That changes Fe into a whole new bird. People just ignore Ni in the descriptions leaving all the Fe folks described as similar. A lot of inspiring social causes could just as easily be done by ESFJ, ISFJ, or ENFJ, and possibly moreso than an actual INFJ.

Edit: I've been thinking that it can be helpful to identify IN types based on their concrete connection to reality. An INFP is going to have a more Si-Te connection while the INFJ will have a more Ti-Se connection. These are very different. Since it is difficult for some to identify what is going on abstractly within a person, look at how they connect to the outside world. INFJs can have an unexpected earthiness and problem solving, and I completely see it in myself as I live in the forest and improvise solutions around the house. My INFP sister is a visual artist at heart, but in her search to figure out how to make a living she started into library science which I think would feel comfortable to a Si-Te processing. She wasn't quite able to connect with it, but the attraction was there.

Does the INF have a secret internal Scully (Si-Te) or MaGuyver (Ti-Se)?

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm rarely offended. I'm not that type of sensitive. My irl infp friend however is easily offended and will defend principles that make no sense or have no point (IMO). I'll get offended if someone is doing something like hurting other people, and that's not right so I'll be offended by the act and the implications thereof. If anything I would probably offend everyone irl if I didn't take care with my words. I can be dreadfully brutal honest. But then I feel bad if the other person feels bad so it's a balance.

I either talk too much or not at all. Infp experience is that they're too sheepish to ever be at that, 'talk too much' state. Or at least about things that might spur disharmony however they're the first to stand up to be different for the sake of being different. Which is irritating because I see value in being capable of 'fitting in'.

So I think infp tends to be more free bird and infj or at least myself, might seem more rigid by comparison, even though I think I'm an open minded person. I also don't think Infp's question their emotions as an infj might. Actually, the way they question things appears all together different than the way I do or other infj types I've known to be infj.

B

brainheart

Edit: I've been thinking that it can be helpful to identify IN types based on their concrete connection to reality. An INFP is going to have a more Si-Te connection while the INFJ will have a more Ti-Se connection. These are very different. Since it is difficult for some to identify what is going on abstractly within a person, look at how they connect to the outside world. INFJs can have an unexpected earthiness and problem solving, and I completely see it in myself as I live in the forest and improvise solutions around the house. My INFP sister is a visual artist at heart, but in her search to figure out how to make a living she started into library science which I think would feel comfortable to a Si-Te processing. She wasn't quite able to connect with it, but the attraction was there.

Does the INF have a secret internal Scully (Si-Te) or MaGuyver (Ti-Se)?

You might be on to something with this. I can be very hands on and practical (Ti-Se). I'm the one in the house who does the repairs, the wall painting, etc. I've reshingled a roof. I often enjoy to do manual labor and as a kid thought it would be cool to be a carpenter. I love to figure out how to fix things but definitely not by the book, more in a MacGuyver sort of way. I recently just reupholstered cushions for a friend's camper. I loved figuring out the best way to do it, with no instructions to guide me. These are the sort of jobs I do to make money (and so I don't have to get a 9 to 5 job). They aren't totally 'me', but I can do them, and enjoy them.

EDIT: I should add one of the major things I noticed that helped me to determine Ni over Fi was that Jung focuses on the role of the inferior function. I could very much see myself in his explanation of Ni under the influence of inferior Se, and not in Fi under the influence of inferior Te.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Guys, I was just mentioning one minor aspect of the difference between Fe and Fi. I didn't mean to imply that one small behavioral characteristic was grounds for determining between types or Fe and Fi.

Nor did I mean to suggest that INFPs are stubborn and unable to change their opinions or that INFJs are too eager to please and are therefore super wishy-washy...or vice versa.

Just a minor point. A minor characteristic I read about and happened to have noticed in myself.

I'm also going to echo what [MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION] said. My decision to reevaluate my cognitive functions is not based on one or two behavioral characteristics I might possess, nor is it something I'm just doing on a whim. I'm reevaluating this because of what is going on inside my brain and how it processes information and perceives the world. This is a serious process for me and has involved hours and hours of studying the eight functions. It's based on A LOT of reading on Ni and Ne and realizing I may have been very wrong initially about which I was using.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can be very hands on and practical (Ti-Se)...I often enjoy to do manual labor and as a kid thought it would be cool to be a carpenter. I love to figure out how to fix things but definitely not by the book, more in a MacGuyver sort of way. I recently just reupholstered cushions for a friend's camper. I loved figuring out the best way to do it, with no instructions to guide me. These are the sort of jobs I do to make money (and so I don't have to get a 9 to 5 job). They aren't totally 'me', but I can do them, and enjoy them.

Ditto, although my ISFP wife is JUST as handy as me, if not more! I'm no MacGuyver, and would probably relate better to Scully lol, but since I was a kid I've loved taking things apart, fixing them and rebuilding them. I still enjoy tinkering with small electronics. As I said, my wife is quite handy but usually leaves electronics repair for me, probably because she knows I love it so much (even though she'd probably be better at it).

Don't really know if this indicates Ti-Se-- just an observation of my own behavior, habits, interests.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm rarely offended. I'm not that type of sensitive. My irl infp friend however is easily offended and will defend principles that make no sense or have no point (IMO). I'll get offended if someone is doing something like hurting other people, and that's not right so I'll be offended by the act and the implications thereof. If anything I would probably offend everyone irl if I didn't take care with my words. I can be dreadfully brutal honest. But then I feel bad if the other person feels bad so it's a balance.

I either talk too much or not at all. Infp experience is that they're too sheepish to ever be at that, 'talk too much' state. Or at least about things that might spur disharmony however they're the first to stand up to be different for the sake of being different. Which is irritating because I see value in being capable of 'fitting in'.

So I think infp tends to be more free bird and infj or at least myself, might seem more rigid by comparison, even though I think I'm an open minded person. I also don't think Infp's question their emotions as an infj might. Actually, the way they question things appears all together different than the way I do or other infj types I've known to be infj.

I don't get offended unless someone makes things very personal, or as you said, they are hurting others. Only my closest friends and family are really capable of this. If someone disagrees with my principles, I'm more wont to keeping my mouth shut, or politely disagreeing and then looking for common ground.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

To answer your question- I do both directing and informing. It depends on the situation and the context. I find Vicky Jo's way of determining type to be extremely flawed because it is a laundry list of behaviors and that means nothing to me. I'm looking for the gestalt. Laundry lists strikes me as arbitrary. My favorite sources as far as all of this goes have been Jung Psychological Types, Lenore Thomson Personality Type, and Naomi Quenk Was That Really Me?

I hadn't really questioned Vicky Jo's type, but she is quite bubbly and could pass for an ENFJ. It's also possible she's just had a lot of practice and experience interacting with people and developing that outward, energetic image.

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hadn't really questioned Vicky Jo's type, but she is quite bubbly and could pass for an ENFJ. It's also possible she's just had a lot of practice and experience interacting with people and developing that outward, energetic image.

Not sure who you're referring to but it could also be her enng or life experience. I generally have people assume I'm an extrovert because I'm so NOT shy to talk with that 'mask' of me on. In other words, I play the politician fairly well in person :p it's exhausting though!! I also had my parents move me to several schools as a child so I guess I got accustomed to not getting to know people and having to put on that 'social' face to keep from being picked on. It could be a thousand things. Even MBTI and ENNG can't discount a persons environment and experiences that influence their personality.

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the differences between infj and infp are pretty obvious once you get to know the person. Fi and Fe present entirely different. Not to mention the detached manner of NiTi thinking. I'm older and see how I differed in different periods of my life but I've always been an infj when it comes to the way I've thought and interacted with others. I must admit that I find myself in a state of guilt next to an infp. Their idealism is so unrealistic and I find myself being judgmental which I hate. It irritates me the way they think and draw conclusions and I'm not sure where to begin to explain that. I get along with them and totally adore them. But there's this part of them that drives me bonkers like they're a kid who needs to grow up. I always feel like I'm the parent in the dynamic and I suppose it's feeling like I have to pick up their slack. Their choices are often based on intense feelings opposed to actual intuition and they're hurt all the time by situations they put themselves in but they don't take responsibility for the fact they wouldn't be hurt if they weren't there in the first place or with that person in the first place. But they were because of how they felt. It's like I love infp but they drive me bonkers all at the same time!! Lol!!!

I realize I've probably made several enemies just now. They'll smile to my face but internally will be plotting my demise. Another thing that drives me bonkers. That Fi hiding how they truly feel. How do I trust that? Passive aggressive nightmares. If I had to say one thing it's please! For the love of god! Just be pissed outwardly so you can get over it and move on! It's like being selfish with your awesomeness because those traits totally push people away.

NOT SAYING ALL INFP's are like this !!!!!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think judging by outward actions is tough. Why I would be unlikely to say "Oh, yeah, I guess it's not that good" I would be likely to say "I can see that" or "That's true enough" or some such, while usually not changing my opinion internally (especially not right in the moment).

Still, I have Fi-ish (well INFP-ish) motivations for doing so. I feel that everyone is entitled to their own opinion (about subjective things, anyway), and that many things are a matter of personal taste or grow out of personal experience. If someone says they like X (even if I don't like it), who am I to argue? In the moment I can usually understand why they would think such a thing, and see the merits of their perspective. That approach means I often soften my tone, and make it clear that my opinion is just that, and other's don't have to hold the same opinion.

Conversely, if I know someone hates Y, and I like Y, I'm probably not going to bring it up around them, because why should I have to defend my opinion? (Arguing about things that are objective is a different matter, even if I'm not a great fan of arguing.)

If I haven't already made up my mind on a subject, I'll often try to enter as deeply into the perspective of the other person as possible, to understand why they feel as they do, and how their opinion makes sense in their eyes.

There is a way in which Fe feels a bit more evangelizing to me, and that it's more reinforcing for valuations to be shared for Fe than it is for Fi. Fe seems to want feelings to be contagious and reflected, where Fi is doesn't expect this, but is happy when it finds a resonance with someone else.

So, I engage in a lot of the same external behaviors but I think Fi (plus a little e5) means my internal opinion hard to shift. When I feel pushed I tend to dig in internally, even though this doesn't show much externally.

Of course we can't type based solely on behavior, which is why 90% of the celebrity typing I've seen is wrong. Freddie Mercury an ESTP? Seriously?

I think I can relate to the bolded bit, by the way. I think this was partly why I mistyped before. I misinterpreted my own "evangelizing" Fe for Fi.

Hello,

Apologies if this has been mentioned already. INFJ's "tend" to want to go process before they are ready/willing to discuss, with the intention of resolving, a conflict with you. Most INFPs I've spoken to find this annoying. "We" want to get the conflict out in front and then out of the way asap.

Yeah, I tend to want to deliberate a lot in my own head before addressing a conflict with someone, at which point I will deliberate more aloud with them as I search for common ground/compromise/etc.

Well, I hate to be the monkey-wrench, but I do this all the time too. imo, however, it does not provide evidence of being Ni - Fe. It's a behaviour. Behaviours can be attributed to multiple cause.

I type IEI in socionics too. But I am not an INFJ. I think the most definitive thing that helped me figure out the difference between the two types was the concept of J vs P. After all, I was caught up in the same trap you and [MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION] are falling into, namely that Fe is all about being nice to others and that Fi doms don't accommodate the preferences of other people. This is simplistic and not universal in any way.

That's not why I began to question Fe over Fi. Outward behavioral characteristics might help to accentuate those differences for me, but I don't accept them as concrete, written-in-stone evidence. It goes much deeper than that. It's hard for me to really articulate in words.

Tell me where you see yourself in this ...

I've indicated the areas I see myself by bolding them

So, let's look at J vs P. This is an excerpt from a page on Vicky-Jo's site, infjorinfp.com. There's a variety of stuff on that site, some of which I think it good, some is bupkis, but this I think hits enough of the mark on the communication preferences of INFJ vs INFP. See where you fall after reading this MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT:

To sort out whether your preferences are for INFJ or INFP, investigate whether you possess the directing or informing style of communication.

"What's that?" you are probably asking. Well, it's a concept that's nearly impossible to explain via the internet, but I'm going to try. According to Dr. Linda Berens, the founder of Interstrength Associates (formerly Temperament Research Institute), each of us is hard-wired to utilize one communication style over the other. That means you're just plain born that way -- it's innate! And it's not only about the words we use; it's how we communicate our intent (though some of us have been conditioned to soften or amplify our natural style, depending on our environments and how we were nurtured).

David Keirsey titles these styles of communication "role-informing" and "role-directing" -- which is the same concept with longer labels. And let me make it clear: directing and informing are on a continuum, and everyone is capable of doing either one at any given time

The question is, which style are you more comfortable with? (And nobody gets to live on the mid-point.)

The directing style of communication is easiest to spot. The extreme form is the style used by traffic cops, stressed parents, and military commanders. It includes communications that would be classified as a "direct order." Examples include:

"Sit down."
"Put it over there."
"Clean your room."

The message is delivered in an authoritative tone of voice. The reason Keirsey calls this "role-directing" is because the person speaking the words assigns what roles are to be played in the interaction. In the examples above, the speaker adopts the "in charge" role, while the recipient is automatically subordinated. The listener is expected to cooperate and play the role the speaker has determined.

The informing style of communication is harder to detect. Sometimes those with the directing style are simply oblivious to it, not recognizing that a defining interaction just transpired. Extreme forms of this communication include messages that might be classified as "victim talk." Examples include:

"I don't have any money."
"That music is so loud."
I'm not feeling good."

These communications are delivered in a non-authoritative tone of voice. The reason Keirsey calls them "role-informing" is because the person speaking the words is deliberately not defining what roles are assigned in the interaction. In these examples, the listener gets to choose what roles are to be played -- meaning they have been granted authority whether to ignore the remark or act upon it. The critical factor is that the recipient of the message gets to determine what part they choose to play. They can act on the information, or not -- the decision is freely theirs.

The examples I've posed are those of extremes -- bossy on the one side, victim on the other. But please don't think I'm painting INFPs as victims and INFJs as persecutors -- I'm using extreme examples and descriptions to make my point! In real life, most normal communications fall somewhere closer toward the mid-point. Perhaps the best example is the simplest one:

Informing communication: The light is green.
Directing communication: Go.

Chances are you've spoken phrases of both these kinds during various episodes in your life. Which reinforces the point I made earlier -- everyone is capable of doing both styles of communication. And one episode of directing does not define you as having the directing style; nor does one episode of informing define you as having the informing style. The appropriate question to ask yourself is, which style are you more comfortable with?

In this special situation we are investigating -- meaning our attempt to distinguish a preference for INFJ or INFP -- it can be tricky to discern which communication style one prefers (compounded by how this is nearly impossible to explain through the internet). In a nutshell, INFJs are more comfortable telling other people what to do than INFPs are, despite both being introverts. INFPs are more comfortable just providing information.

I'll provide a couple more examples:

Directing: "Ask Jerry for specific instructions on balancing the budget." "Marion, would you find a restaurant to host fifty people at a banquet in September?"

Informing: "Jerry has some information that might help you balance the budget." "Marion, do we have information on any restaurants that could host a banquet in September for fifty people?"

See how both request the same outcome, but in entirely different ways?

And here's a domestic example. Let's imagine we have run out of milk. A spectrum of remarks to a family member might include

We're out of milk.
We need milk.
Would you be able to get us some milk?
We're out of milk and I was wondering if you could get us some?
We're out of milk. Would you please get us some?
Would you please get us some milk?
Please get us some milk.
Get some milk.

Can you find which phrase you're most likely to say?

Asking someone to get milk might seem like a pretty simple thing, and yet, with all the uniqueness in the world, can still cause a communication gap! Within this small range of possible choices, a whole lot of misunderstandings can still occur. (It doesn't take an extraordinary situation to create extraordinary conflict.) Depending on one's style and how they ask, one may think the requestor is being rude or even being manipulative, or not asking for what they really want. And the way people cope with these communication mismatches is by labeling behaviors "passive-aggressive" or "bossy."

According to Linda Berens in "Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to Interaction Styles," the directing style of communication has a task/time focus, while the informing style has a process/motivation focus. The intent of directing is to give structure; direct. The intent of informing is to evoke, draw forth, inspire, seek input.

Certain work roles emphasize one style of communication over the other -- for instance, therapists are taught to be informing in their communication. It is considered undesirable to tell patients what to do. However, the military emphasizes directing -- giving orders is an expected behavior. (One of my clients served in the military, and all these years thought she had INFJ preferences. It was an awakening for her to discover her true preference for Informing!)

The ticket is to look for the thing you prefer, the thing you do naturally -- not the thing you believe you are supposed to do or have been trained to do. I have seen plenty of INFPs employ directing, but they have usually ratcheted themselves up and are using extraverted Thinking, and it looks stressed and is not graceful to witness. (I look for how relaxed and natural the style is in order to uncover the true preference. Sometimes an INFP will inform and inform and inform, and then they get "triggered" and the directing bursts out.)

The directing/informing dimension is often linked to the J/P dimension on the MBTI. People believe that "J's" have the directing style, while "P's" have the informing style. But this is not the rule, although it is true in the case of INFJ vs. INFP. (Examples where it's not true include how ISFJs prefer the informing style, while ISTPs prefer the directing style.)

According to Dr. Linda Berens, for people with informing preferences (like INFPs), it's as if people are just a leetle bit more important than Task. And for people with directing preferences (like INFJ), it's as if Task is a leetle bit more important than people. It's as if one concern is operating in the foreground, and the other is operating in the background. So NFJs -- who do care very much about people -- sometimes may seem insensitive when Task is looming and they feel pressured to accomplish a goal. And NFPs may not care enough about Task to suit NFJs. (It is impossible to have equal concern about both at once -- one must take primacy.)

INFPs feel uncomfortable "intruding" on other people's choices -- they want people to decide for themselves to do things. INFJs may inform up until things aren't getting done -- and then they direct (and may even take charge). This may come across as harsh or out-of-character to others, but it really isn't unnatural. I found my directing style most clearly when piling my nieces and nephews into the car, and it was a big contrast to my brother-in-law's informing style as he gave them information that would make them want to get into the car. (Unless he gets stressed out, of course, in which case he manifests a mean and ugly directing style.)​

THIS (bolded) is very much my style. It often surprises people as they are normally accustomed to me having a more laid-back, "do it however you feel is best" approach to leading others and/or working in groups.

I'll never forget the day my sister put her wine glass on the floor and a child went stumbling toward it. My brother-in-law called out, "The wine glass is in the path of the oncoming child!" I called out "Move your glass!" Not that it mattered -- wine was spilled. But how obvious a contrast between the two communication styles.

A good situation to investigate which style you naturally prefer is seeing how you deal with customer service people. When you have a complaint to make, do you prefer to direct or inform? (Unless you are angry, of course, in which case you may be inclined to do directing, regardless of preference.)

The directing types are inclined to "tell, ask, urge." They are "moving forward" and they sound "definite." The informing types, on the other hand, tend to "inform, inquire, explain, describe." They are "flowing, open, eliciting." INFPs sound patient while INFJs sound impatient. INFPs tend to perpetuate conversations; INFJs often kill them. INFJs focus on time and task, while INFPs focus on the emergent process. INFPs can sometimes be longwinded; INFJs can sometimes be short-winded (both to their own detriments!).

THIS (bolded)

INFJs fool themselves into believing they only use the informing style of communication because they dilute their requests with "please," and "would you mind," and "could we maybe..." They think this dimension is really about how polite people should be. (It's not!) By "softening" their orders this way, INFJs delude themselves into believing they utilize only the informing communication style, because their self-image often prevents them from identifying with a communication style that might be perceived as "bossy" or "harsh." (I know one INFJ who concedes that she is "refreshingly direct.") INFJs bristle at being called "directing," especially when they "only want to help" or "offer some advice." Their directing tends to include other-centered remarks, such as, "You should quit smoking," or, "Why don't you take a vacation?" The question they must ask themselves is whether or not they make clear what results they want. If it's clear -- that's directing, no matter who's the focus or how many hesitant "would-you-mind's" and "do-you-suppose's" are slathered onto their remark. And take a good look at what communication looks like when a task is "at risk"!

THIS (bolded)

Directing types are sometimes shocked to discover that informing communications could even be classified as instruction or contain requests! To them, it just sounds like unproductive "noise." I myself provide an excellent example of this. I would have gone to my death insisting I had the "nicer" informing style of communication until I took a live workshop with Dr. Berens. During this workshop, I encountered my own directing style -- to the extent that they used my interaction with an INFP as an example of what extreme directing looks like! Yikes! But what a wonderful gift of self-discovery -- to identify and own my innate "bossiness." (You get to witness my directing style in action all throughout these articles -- I make no bones about telling readers what to do!)

INFPs, on the other hand, sometimes believe they have the directing communication style because they can be tyrannical with some others, such as family members or close friends -- but tyranny in itself is not directing! It's often useful to investigate how an individual operates in the workplace or at school to see whether it's different than how they relate to people they are intimate with. For instance, if an INFP invites someone to visit their home, do they tend to be directing or informing with that someone...?

Sometimes INFPs are in situations where they are required to give orders, such as to children or students. These directing episodes are sometimes painfully memorable, so they assume they display the directing style. In point of fact, they did -- just not gracefully. Because it isn't natural, it isn't really their preference.

Also, some INFPs believe saying, "Shoes don't belong on the bed" is interchangeable with saying, "Don't put shoes on the bed." But it's not! Here lies the rub -- that's exactly the sort of difference we're looking for. Can you determine which style is which in those examples?

Without practice, INFPs don't appear graceful when they adopt the directing style, and INFJs don't appear graceful when they adopt the informing style -- both need lots of practice.

INFJs like to think they communicate in the manner of INFPs-- flowing, open, eliciting. INFPs like to think they communicate in the manner of INFJs -- assertive and self-confident. Both types often delude themselves around this point, and it can be a challenge to separate out the truth from idealized self-image. Dr. Berens also says: "My experience has been that INFJs and ENFJs tend to see themselves as having an informing style, but when you get down to it, they are rather unhappy if the person [they are relating to] isn't taking some kind of responsibility and action toward achieving their potential. In this case, living up to or developing potential is the task! And they often don't realize that there is a one-up kind of quality to this having a vision for someone else."

THIS (bolded)

Ironically, INFJs are wont to label informing communication as "passive-aggressive" (and it can be), while INFPs are wont to label directing communication as "bossy" (and it can be). Neither completely comprehends why the other communicates the way they do -- but INFPs are perhaps handicapped more, because INFJs (and others) are often downright oblivious to their style of communication. (Thus many INFPs complain about feeling invisible.) Sometimes it takes another informer to recognize when a request has been tendered. It's like a dog whistle -- some people can't even hear it!

In public circumstances (like school and work), one's communication style becomes painfully apparent, and discrepancy between these styles can create serious problems. INFPs often get overlooked at work and are sometimes not considered "leaders" due to their informing communication style, while INFJs sometimes find themselves in leadership positions they didn't intend, due to speaking up with a directing "voice" and discovering themselves suddenly "in charge." I've boasted to my husband that I can inadvertently "direct" with my little finger, while my INFP friend can yell "fire!" in a crowded room and be utterly ignored. That's what Linda means when she talks about the communication style being "hard-wired" -- it's not only the words we use, it's how clearly we telegraph our wishes. Don't get hung up on specific content -- ask yourself whether you're a person who naturally causes people to jump into action (or cease action instantly), or whether you normally eschew that kind of delivery.

THIS (bolded)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure who you're referring to but it could also be her enng or life experience. I generally have people assume I'm an extrovert because I'm so NOT shy to talk with that 'mask' of me on. In other words, I play the politician fairly well in person :p it's exhausting though!! I also had my parents move me to several schools as a child so I guess I got accustomed to not getting to know people and having to put on that 'social' face to keep from being picked on. It could be a thousand things. Even MBTI and ENNG can't discount a persons environment and experiences that influence their personality.

(I was referring to Vicky Jo, who runs the INFJorINFP website.)

I didn't have to suffer moving around much as a kid, but in school I tended to socialize with a large number of cliques very easily. Skaters, preps, jocks, band nerds, etc...It helped me build a very strong diplomatic style of interaction. How much of that is hardwired in me or learned behavior I am unsure of.

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(I was referring to Vicky Jo, who runs the INFJorINFP website.)

I didn't have to suffer moving around much as a kid, but in school I tended to socialize with a large number of cliques very easily. Skaters, preps, jocks, band nerds, etc...It helped me build a very strong diplomatic style of interaction. How much of that is hardwired in me or learned behavior I am unsure of.

Hard wired I think. I find Infj's as well as myself, do really well acclimating towards any social environment we want to taste for a moment. Lol!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hard wired I think. I find Infj's as well as myself, do really well acclimating towards any social environment we want to taste for a moment. Lol!

I think hardwired too, but it's not always easy to determine whether behavior is nature or nurture induced.

I was shy and only kept a small number of really close friends, who were usually outcasts like me, but every group knew me by name. I was sort of popular, just not in the outgoing, having a ton of friends sort of way. I just felt a very natural desire to get along with every type of group, even if it meant being looked at as weird for one minute talking to the rednecks, then another minute hanging out with the black kids.

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think hardwired too, but it's not always easy to determine whether behavior is nature or nurture induced.

I was shy and only kept a small number of really close friends, who were usually outcasts like me, but every group knew me by name. I was sort of popular, just not in the outgoing, having a ton of friends sort of way. I just felt a very natural desire to get along with every type of group, even if it meant being looked at as weird for one minute talking to the rednecks, then another minute hanging out with the black kids.

That is so me. Seriously. lol! It's a natural disposition I think. I also think that how healthy an infj is depends on environment seeing as Ni is subjective. I think that I always knew it too so I tended to drop groups once I felt they weren't good for me. That could just be a me thing though.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Reading the bolded sections, I realized that I do this ALL THE TIME! I had never considered this as a major indicator of Fe, and I may be totally wrong and off base with this, in which case the type experts and type snobs can swoop into this thread and tell me how wrong I am. But in conversation with others, I am forever softening and slightly amending my opinions, and I realize now that I do this not because I am wishy-washy or insincere, but because when someone disagrees with an opinion I have, my brain automatically begins to question whether my original value or opinion was so concrete and accurate to begin with. I've occasionally been criticized for doing this, and as a result I will sometimes try to be more stalwart and stick to my original opinion or statement, regardless of whether I still feel so certain about it, but this rarely feels natural to me, and I start to feel as though I am being dishonest with myself for the sake of seeming less ditzy or flighty or indecisive.
I also do this plenty, but I've attributed it to Se. What I think is important and meaningful, but I have no basis for calling it correct if I don't check that it holds up outside of my head, too. The facts are what gather in the impersonal spaces between people as all of the perspectives and applications come out and certain notions hold consistently while certain others don't. I value getting things right more than I value claiming my own internal stuff, which contradicts the popular images of all the types I wear, but oh well. The structures/hierarchies are not inside of me, but they're not inside of anyone else, either. They're invisible things between us, and we discover their shapes by throwing our perceptions out and paying attention when they seem to bounce off of the air.

But on the other side of the balance, I still don't like that I do the quoted so much. There is a specific class of things that don't need to be objective (until someone gets hurt) because individual makeup determines the truth of them. Example: what someone wants to be when they grow up, how they want to look, what integrity means to them. When I don't stick to those guns, I feel very dishonest because my outer attitude changes out of sync (in contrast to you realizing that yours are in sync) with an internal "right" in the service of something else, that something else often being fear or need. When I adjust beyond sticking to the facts, it isn't for the sake of politeness or peace or any of the other things newbies accuse Fe of faking for. It's only to protect myself. In such a case, the changeability is neurotic ("against type") and more than that just immoral, and actualization requires developing a stronger grip on my guns.

Retrospective observation: all of the above carries an assumption of an ideal "way". Checking that assumption, I have no rational backup to justify it. How do I know a proper thing exists? I actually don't. Might be relevant.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Thanks for your thoughts.

No, I don't think you made the decision flippantly. I don't see anything in what I said that suggests I think so, but my apologies if that's the case.

What I do sense is that you have seriously found flaw with MBTI in trying to assign yourself a type. From what I see here, and based on your agreement with Lyedecker above, it seemed you counted the behaviour above as mounting evidence of being Fe. Specifically, "I adjust my opinion to others around me" and I felt it important to point out that, in and of itself, doing such a thing is not necessarily an "Fe thing". I see it far more as a component of enneagram-based social-dominance, and even an enneagram 9 characteristic. The "peacemaker" as such generally likes to minimize waves as much as is reasonable, and this can include the softening of personal opinion in order to jive with the goal of harmony.

Yes, I saw the conundrum upon posting, but what I was hoping for was a moment of gestalt, of sensing the essential difference out of that text as opposed to checking off, "Do I do this or do I do that?" because to me, there's enough there to peel away the superficial layer of it all and get a feeling for the essence of a key difference - that essence of that difference being, do you lean towards shaping the world around you, or do you tend to adapt to the world?

To me, that feels like a key point. I can't use better words atm moment to describe that feeling unfortunately.

*nods* - what is the something that Ni dominance explains ... what is it you've never before been able to put a finger on? I am curious if you'd like to share. :)

B

brainheart

*nods* - what is the something that Ni dominance explains ... what is it you've never before been able to put a finger on? I am curious if you'd like to share. :)

Why I feel like a camera turned inward. Why when I write fiction or do art it's like I'm excavating some internal primordial yet futuristic swamp that is far bigger and far deeper than me. Why I have never felt bored, and never will, because everything I see or think or feel knocks around inside me and metamorphoses into endless permutations of perspective, insight, and reality. And everything I never see or think or feel still manages to enter my brain, it must, because otherwise I don't know where it comes from. Why my internal world is so incredibly hard to describe, and the closest thing I can do to describing it is to tell what images it sends me. Here is a mad woman with furry teeth. Here is a sock, holes for heels. Here is a person, her face fusing to carpet in a plastic cell.

S

Stansmith

[MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION]

Is it something like this?

B

brainheart

[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION], pretty much. But I think courtesy of being a four probably a little more personal/ self absorbed. I'm not sure if the four emotional quality is the extroverted feeling coming into play or what. Still disentangling this.

I do think, though, that Ni is more interested in conveying the subjective perspective while Fi is more interested in conveying the subjective feeling.