• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Differences between INFJs and INFPs?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually dreamy and poetic vs. intense and moody doesn't really seem appropriate to me.

I think an INFP is actually much more likely to tell someone to fuck off than an INFJ. I think INFPs are probably more rebellious and counter-culture and openly "weird", and INFJs more, like, politically correct grammar nazis who knit together at bitch 'n stitch circles once a week.

Glad you think so highly of us :hug:

matilda

I think an INFP is actually much more likely to tell someone to fuck off than an INFJ. I think INFPs are probably more rebellious and counter-culture and openly "weird", and INFJs more, like, politically correct grammar nazis who knit together at bitch 'n stitch circles once a week.

Yes to everything 'cept the first sentence. :yes:

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
commas are to infjs as ellipses are to infps...wait, what was the question..?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes to everything 'cept the first sentence. :yes:

I have no trouble telling someone to fuck off.
INFP's can be so different, from each other, and have a sense that they are different from others to. This added level of 'estrangement' makes a difference between INF ~P or ~J, IMO. INFJ's usually seem more organized and social.

I do love commas,,,,,,,,!

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Mmmmmmh, commas!!! I loves dem :D

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I, overuse, commas, all, the, time, too!
wow, that, is, interesting, how, so, many, of, us, have, that, tick,l,o,l,o,l,o,l,o,l.
I, also, enjoy, using, superfluos, exclamation, points, to, further, illustrate, the, intensity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this, looks, how, shatner, sounds, doesn't, it?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have no trouble telling someone to fuck off.
INFP's can be so different, from each other, and have a sense that they are different from others to. This added level of 'estrangement' makes a difference between INF ~P or ~J, IMO. INFJ's usually seem more organized and social.

We do play the game well, huh? No one guesses the extent of our inner anxiety ;)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
These are gross generalizations, but are some of the trends that I've observed. For the INFPs, I don't know for sure because I'm not inside their heads, but this is how it looks to me:

INFJs are more likely to care about getting their message out or have an agenda for where they want a conversation to go or what they have to say. INFPs are more open to listening first without processing it all right away.

INFJs have an internal structure for measuring everything against. INFPs are have very passionately held feelings about some things, but are less likely to have strong feelings immediately about whether something is good or bad.

INFJs need several go arounds before conflict is completely resolved. Kind of like having a bunch of junk that needs to have places found for it. Nearly always there are a couple of stray items that are found later. INFPs are likely to take a final stance on something and expect it to be done with.

INFJs tend to be more directive when giving instructions while INFPs tend to describe the situation and expect the hearer will infer what needs to be done.

INFJs are more likely to try to influence other's behaviour, particularly if they care about them and it is destructive. INFPs are more likely to let them learn for themselves and not want to influence the process as much.

INFJs are curious to know how people work and ask questions to flesh out their understanding of a person so they can better prepare for how to deal with them. INFPs tend to take things in as they come without trying to direct the interaction or plug the new details into a preexisting structure in their minds. They are more likely to filter things through the lens of their own personal experiences.

INFPs have strongly held views, but they are based on a personal criteria more than one decided by external factors. Therefore they can be quite unconventional, compared to INFJs.

INFPs have a goofier and very imaginative sense of humour and are more likely to have more gears in between serious and joking modes of communication.

INFPs are often less practical in every day matters and sometimes have a tendancy to avoid dealing with problems. INFJs do that when they are overwhelmed by details, but generally like to face problems more directly.

INFPs are less emotive and appear dispassionate compared to INFJs. However, they are much more passionate under the surface in some regards. INFJs are more emotive, and given the right circumstances passionate express it. While they have layers, they are likely to want someone to understand everything about them inside out. INFPs seem to like some privacy and operate more internally. INFJs need to discuss things with people to organize them in their own minds, while INFPs take in information but do not need people's input the same way to decide how they feel about something.

There's a bunch of others, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Not always, but INFPs tend to be the stereotypical emo kids at school who also like anime. INFJs would be the ones who are friends with a variety of fringe groups, but are not part of them themselves. They're more anthropologists.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
i'd say at school, INFJs are the go-getting camp counselor types and model UN kids whilst INFPs can be found masquerading in any and every group.. Ironically, I think most of those 'emo' and 'anime kids' are probably just other types romanticizing and masquerading as INFPs

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFJs tend to be more directive when giving instructions while INFPs tend to describe the situation and expect the hearer will infer what needs to be done.

INFPs have a goofier and very imaginative sense of humour and are more likely to have more gears in between serious and joking modes of communication.

these i resonate with as being very true!

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I already linked this old topic (INFJ vs INFP --which is more forgiving?) in the newer 'INFJs & Forgiveness' thread, however I had made a post in it about how my INFP boyfriend and I differ in our attitudes on forgiveness and it seems relevant here as well (i.e. too lazy to recontribute) :laugh::
My first reaction was to choose INFP. However, having dated an INFP for as long as I have --I have found myself rationalizing and ultimately forgiving people that he simply cannot bring himself to based on how he feels.

If "forgiveness" is being likened to "tolerate" then he can withstand the company of those he dislikes longer than I by simply ignoring whatever spills out of their mouth and then staring off into space. But if "forgiveness" means understanding or accepting someone who has done wrong, I am more capable of seeing their P-O-V even if I disagree and just disregarding the social road-bumps I'm unconcerned with.

Arguably, he appears more forgiving than me given his lax demeanor, but if pressed to be honest you'll find he cannot shake his prejudices. Outwardly, I probably seem more unforgiving given my scrutinizing behavior, but if pressed (with points that are valid to me) I can spontaneously make an about-face to the astonishment of my intimates.

Added note: If you'd really like to get to the nitty gritty differences, feel free to PM me. My INFP boyfriend and I have been friends and together off/on for nearly a decade and we know a great deal about each other. 'Heart' is also a good source of information because she's an INFP married to an INFJ.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'd say at school, INFJs are the go-getting camp counselor types and model UN kids whilst INFPs can be found masquerading in any and every group.. Ironically, I think most of those 'emo' and 'anime kids' are probably just other types romanticizing and masquerading as INFPs

Agreed. The emo trend seems very ISFx to me. INFPs are not that open with emotion usually.

Anime is for most any nerd of every type :tongue:

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP

I think INFJ sense of humor depends on current mood and relationship with the person telling the joke. I know my response to someone I'm not friends with joking around with me is usually a blank stare.

Now, if I do feel like joking around...I think the username says it all.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think INFJ sense of humor depends on current mood and relationship with the person telling the joke. I know my response to someone I'm not friends with joking around with me is usually a blank stare.

Now, if I do feel like joking around...I think the username says it all.

it is funny because it sounds very like a member's on this forum who got banned recently...............;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm telling.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Someone should make all girls born, who need to be INFJ blondes and all brunettes INFP. Would make it a lot easier !

But wait, I love Brunettes... bad idea -.-

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

INFJs are curious to know how people work and ask questions to flesh out their understanding of a person so they can better prepare for how to deal with them. INFPs tend to take things in as they come without trying to direct the interaction or plug the new details into a preexisting structure in their minds. They are more likely to filter things through the lens of their own personal experiences.

INFPs are often less practical in every day matters and sometimes have a tendancy to avoid dealing with problems. INFJs do that when they are overwhelmed by details, but generally like to face problems more directly.

INFPs are less emotive and appear dispassionate compared to INFJs. However, they are much more passionate under the surface in some regards. INFJs are more emotive, and given the right circumstances passionate express it. While they have layers, they are likely to want someone to understand everything about them inside out. INFPs seem to like some privacy and operate more internally. INFJs need to discuss things with people to organize them in their own minds, while INFPs take in information but do not need people's input the same way to decide how they feel about something.

I think these ones are more obvious when I compare myself to the INFP's I know.

One other thought: Myself and the INFJ's I know are very active listeners, and will really focus on the other person who is talking, and give feedback or other sorts of cues (head nods, facial expressions, reactions to what they're saying, whatever) to let the other person know we're listening and focusing on what they're saying. I believe this is an element of Fe. One thing I have noticed with the INFP's I know is that when I'm talking, they make very little eye contact and they often aren't looking at me, and are looking down, or around at other things...which to be honest is distracting and makes me think they aren't even listening or paying attention!! It's not that they're not...it's just that it makes it so I don't KNOW whether they are or not. (And the usual caveat that this doesn't mean all INFP's are like this)