• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] I am bored and need a hobby.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
i am bored shitless lately and sick of cleaning the house. must get out and do something i enjoy.

i'd gladly get a part time job just to get out of the house but i have to wait till my 4 year old starts kindergarten.

so far i have tennis on my list of things to try. i used to play when i was a teenager but outside of wii, haven't played in years.

i'd love to hear some suggestions if you have any. :)

Usehername

On a mission
Weren't you into spinning or cycling for a while? Do you have a bike? Getting outside on the beautiful days goes a long way to feeling like you're living/doing something of significance, and having a trainer at home for the not-so-nice weather days (or babysitter-less days) is helpful.

Do you need intellectual stimulation? Physical activity? Creative activity? Social engagement?

If I were in your position I'd sign up for a second language class, because that's artsy/social/intellectual all in one, plus utilitarian and cool in its own way.

amelie

MBTI Type
XNFJ
I'm in the same position - at home with 2 little ones. I have no idea what your interests are, but I joined a mother's club to have some places to go and meet some people. Other than that, I've done a Bunco group, book club, blogging, photography (took some classes for that, which was awesome - and you have a perfect subject)...it's hard because you have to do things you can do with kids under foot. :)

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Drama! :D It is highly rewarding, is filled with very interesting people, and has lots of opportunities for personal growth.

Atomic Fiend

Drama! :D It is highly rewarding, is filled with very interesting people, and has lots of opportunities for personal growth.

Or better yet skip the classes and just start spreading rumors about people you don't like cause there husbands to cheat on them, and just spread general chaos!

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Check out what sort of workshops and courses your local community college or community center has and learn a new skill.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes! Wake Tech just issued their latest non-credit course book! Lots of fun stuff! I want to get well even faster so I can take some writing and art courses. :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
hi jen! i think our demographics are sorta similar re: age and kids, etc. i am super bored too. but then i got knocked up so now i'm bored WITH a baby (my fifth). anyway, i have always wanted to do pottery. it's easy to find classes on that. i haven't done that yet. and i think it's fairly cheap to get into. i also make the occasional mosaic out of glass or old broken tile. that's really fun! and pretty cheap too. and everyone likes to receive mosaic coasters or artwork, and there is the therapeutic value of working with color and expressing yourself. otherwise, i'm not really artistic.

i like to make my own cream and lotion and oils and salves and stuff and lip balms, etc. all my friends love it, so it's fun to give away. and i've made money with it too. that's pretty fun and useful. i knit, but that's kind-of expensive and can be a waste of time. unless you make really cool skullcaps that people will really wear.

then there are the active sports. i tried snowshoeing this past winter which i didn't really like, well, i like uphill but not downhill. i like hiking and bike riding, but that depending on where you live that can be hard, and i'm sure you've already thought of those.

well, this staved off 10 minds of my own boredom. thanks!! i was never bored in my life before. i hope this 'phase' passes soon, and for you as well.

heart

heart on fire
Start writing your memoirs. Seriously. Get into touch with your past and all that. In reflection you'll learn more about yourself and get into different avenues now and will find something key about yourself that will lead to a new interest in the here and now.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
You know what kind of crappy suggestions you'll get from me. ;)

Kayaking/canoeing
Hiking
Backpacking
Bushcraft

Usehername

On a mission
Reading a genre you want to have read (not necessarily classics) or book clubs for the social aspect?

Guitar? It's actually not that difficult to learn--what's difficult is bypassing the 3 months where your brain understands but your finger muscles are still dumb, and consequently you sound like you suck.
After 3 months suddenly your nervous system can control the muscles and it gets infinitely easier. I'm convinced this is why people drop guitar--they don't give their nervous system and muscles time to catch up to understanding how to play. I've seen about 4-6 friends teach themselves who didn't have any musical background, and so far as I can tell, 3 months is "the barrier." (Of course, it matters how often you practice--probably 8 minutes a day for the first three months would be more than enough, and after a while your fingertips will be callused and it won't hurt, and you'll be able to sound good so you'll want to play for longer periods.)

You could pick a very specific something and master it. Is this fun for an NF? I would love to have learned every single country's name and location on a map--this kind of trivia makes politics/history/geography discussions so much easier b/c you're less lost, and gives you grounding in case you find interest in subjects and want to learn more. It's the kind of work everyone wants to have done, but no one wants to do, but feels great for the rest of your life when it's in your knowledge base.

You could learn to juggle--apparently this expands parts of your brain that make you more mentally sharp.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Running a business occupies a lot of time. For me it's a vocation and avocation. It will be even more fun when I actually get around to selling my product--at that point I might take a vacation.

i'd gladly get a part time job just to get out of the house but i have to wait till my 4 year old starts kindergarten.

You could start a day care center.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think making cosmetics or candles from home is a good one. If you like the indoors/outdoors rock climbing, kickboxing, other fitness classes. Since you are a make-up artist, you could always volunteer with an organization to give make-overs. I know some people like crafts, you can do it at the same time as your children and make home-made cards and what not.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You could start a day care center.

As a former home daycare provider (emphasis on the "former") I wouldn't recommend it.

Tennis sounds good. You could teach spinning. I like yoga but it's not very exciting.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think making cosmetics or candles from home is a good one. If you like the indoors/outdoors rock climbing, kickboxing, other fitness classes. Since you are a make-up artist, you could always volunteer with an organization to give make-overs. I know some people like crafts, you can do it at the same time as your children and make home-made cards and what not.

Oh, that's a wonderful idea!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
you could take up fencing and learn french so then you could say witty things in french while fencing, if I wasn't so lazy that's what I'd do.

ewomack

Check meetup.com for gatherings of other folks in your area... I was amazed at the diversity of groups that meet in my area.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
It's neither a time-intensive nor fitness-enhancing hobby, but may I suggest bonsai as an interesting occupation which I imagine would be particularly suited to INFJs? Too late: I already did.

Penda

MBTI Type
INFJ
Boredom is clearly a sign of insufficient brooding and worrying....errr, actually I have no idea...