• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs... would people describe you as an extravert?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Regarding the OP, sorry, wonkavision's hawtness can be so damn distracting :azdaja: those who know me best think I am some kind of recluse freak of nature, (though as of late they've been changing their minds about that :)).

But when I am with acquaintances, I appear quite extroverted.

I would bet strangers find me quite extroverted as well.

When people seem open and receptive to it, (and vice versa), I approach and engage them in conversation.

If I am in the right mood, and you need me to fill the void by talking, I'll do so, and if you need me to fill the void by listening, I'll do that too.

Despite being so energetic and full of life and vocal, in general, there is nothing better than feeling the rapture of admiring someone or something else that is beautiful.

Sure I can talk, but I'd much rather listen, especially if you've got a good story to tell.

:)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
4_with_dom_west_reduced.jpg

DominicWest.jpg

But wonkavision is even hawter.

:wubbie:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've swayed between Introversion and Extroversion, and still do.

If you get into the functions of it, I can say that I have a very strong Fi and that it is nearly tied with Ne, but isn't. In this manner, I am more openly intuitive, and underneath it, Feeling.

I do feel like an Introvert sometimes. I do like to get away from people, and being alone to think has soothed a lot of my problems. I do spend quite a bit of time alone, but that isn't out of want.

So, in general, I am not one of the more extroverted ENFPs, but I am extroverted and I am very social and goofy and am always up for a good time.

Xellotath

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I was highly extroverted when I was younger. In my teens I forced myself to introversion when I realized that most my Fe-dominant environment really.. really didn't get me. Not to mention that most of their approaches to soothe me only made things worse. In spite of this self-imposed introversion diet, I still preserved my people skills.. instincts that I normally use on the outside to get by, but that I -make it- a point to forget when I'm on this forum... simply because I am dead serious about figuring my personality out..
In real life, I will modify everything about me to match the person I talk to... so I'm a lot nicer and extroverted in general. Here.. I try to get everything out, no matter how aggressive and insane I may seem.
I'm also..bias. I think that extroversion in ENFPs is but a tactic to create a more Fi-friendly environment...hence all the idiotic value-oriented crusades.
I've grown to really dislike my extroversion because I -know- its just a tool for Fi.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
thanks for posting that wonka. i was just talking with someone a bit about this at work the other day...it's a new job but you can tell who the obvious extraverts are...and i'm not one of them...he said that i seem kind of quiet and soft spoken....and...anyway it made me wonder about other enfps.

People (who don't know me very well) tell me that all the time. It's like if there are a lot more OUTGOING and loud people around, then I'm happy to take the back seat... and some people only know me that way.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
People used to know me as outgoing and having this edge to me.. they always go, "Wow. You changed." I used to be more feisty/in your face. If something bothered me, I'd say it. If something made me laugh, I'd let it be known. I used to have my own style, but since I grew up and had a chance to travel to certain parts of the world, I realized how microscopic we are as humans, and that in the grand-scheme of things.. all the superficiality doesn't quite matter as much to me. I become more reflective/quiet. Perhaps, it's also because I've adapted to living a rich suburbia, where life is pretty much like the movie the Truman Show. (friggin boring ass hell)

My family would definitely describe me as extroverted. I used to be a go-getter. Now, I'm just non-nonchalant/whatevers about things.. Yup. Yup!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I wonder though Viv, if people who didn't know you "before" would describe you as extroverted or outgoing? I know a few super laid back and nonchalant folks who are also extraverted.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
^They definitely would.. Friends/family have noticed a change.. They all remark on the fact that I changed.. and all go- We miss that old you.. If they needed someone to negotiate something, I'd be all up on it.

Now, I'm still extroverted, but I guess with experiences, I just don't look at life quite the same way as I used to? My values changed, and so I have a totally different outlook on things.. Hence, the way I communicate is a bit different.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Some times I just don't click in conversation with others or I'm just content to listen to others talk. So if someone confused me as an introvert I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, I think this is probably the main reason someone would think I was an Introvert.

I'm pretty quiet if I'm not interested in the topic.

And even if I am interested, I generally only talk when I have something especially important or funny to say.

Especially in a group setting, or if arguing/debate is going on, I might have a lot to say, but I'm more interested in what I can gain from listening.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I think this is probably the main reason someone would think I was an Introvert.

I'm pretty quiet if I'm not interested in the topic.

And even if I am interested, I generally only talk when I have something especially important or funny to say.

Especially in a group setting, or if arguing/debate is going on, I might have a lot to say, but I'm more interested in what I can gain from listening.

I agree. When it's shooting the breeze than I'm not even there. My mind will usually be lightyears away from small talk conversations.

And when it's with people who don't get my values or don't accept them, than I'm just a listener.

By the way, I wish I was as "hawt" as Wonkavision so Captain Chick could talk about me in a post before actually getting to the chase.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yep yep me too! that's it totally...i am quiet when i don't have anything to add to conversations i don't care about...it all makes sense now...i think i knew that but i must have forgotten. that's totally what it is.

all's right the world again...thanks other enfp people. you're the coolest. :)

seeker22

MBTI Type
XNTJ
I know many of us have mentioned not feeling very extraverted and now that I know more about mbti I get that i function like an extravert. I just don't think it's very apparent to others....do you know what i mean? that extraverted attitude...i mean does anyone ever think you're kind of quiet...or soft spoken? or what?

Great post. I completely relate.

I have elements of each, DEFINITELY.

I can fall off the face of the planet for days at a time and friends won't hear from me. I need down time, time to process, time to read, think, reflect, formulate fresh ideas and concepts... Believe it or not I can feel drained by others and need time to myself. "Do not disturb."

However, put me in a room of strangers and watch me go! ;)

I'm at ease with others and can naturally put others at ease - when my batteries are charged up. If they are not then me + roomful of strangers = MUST FLEE!

I believe many ENFPs are truly AMBIVERTS when it come to the E/I.

Oh yeah and I agree - if the topic doesn't engage me I will go mute.

VanillaCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yes, ambivertedness is definitely what I am. Some people know I'm an extrovert, others don't. Some people just bring me out of my shell I guess. Those tend to be the people that have something in common with me, or are so extraverted that they make me want to be twice as much! But for random people who don't have much in common with me or who I just plain have no connection to, [ or are just plain boring ] I usually just don't talk much at all, except for the random talk like, "OMG I KNOW YOU WANT ME, YOU DONT HAVE TO KEEP STARING AT ME." or silly little things like that. And they'll usually laugh, but sometimes it's just me trying to infuse some life into our interactions ;P

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well I think part of the problem is that people don't understand what Extraversion and Introverson are.

The following is a quote from "What Type Am I?", by Renee Baron.

BARON:

(Notice how she includes THINGS, not just people and activites)

BARON:

You see, people get off track when they put the emphasis on how much someone talks or socializes.

The key difference between Extraversion and Introversion is not whether someone talks a lot or not, but whether they get energy from the OUTER WORLD or their own INNER WORLD.

The next important point is that what people DO with that energy varies.

Extraverts get energy from the outside world.
Sometimes Extraverts pour that energy into more talking and socializing, and
sometimes they pour it into a solitary activity.

Introverts get energy from their own inner world.
Sometimes they pour that energy into more solitary activities, and sometimes they pour that energy into talking and socializing.

In conclusion, you can not tell whether someone is an Extravert or an Introvert solely on the basis of how much they talk or socialize.

It would be nice if it were that simple, but understanding personality type goes beyond looking at the surface of things.

thank you for making this point, because up until this point I had been determining "introvert" based up on the fact that I don't prefer to be extremely social every day

I'm starting to wonder if I'm actually an enfp

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually I have seen this in someone I am somewhat sure is ENFP. He has such a wide circle of friends and social activities that I don't think he could be an introvert, but he is very soft-spoken and a little bit distant, so I hesitated to type him as ENFP. Now I am fairly sure that that's what he is :yes:

I'm the opposite of this. I don't have a wide circle of social activities, per se, but I'm not at all soft-spoken or distant. I'm expressive and outspoken.

Does that make me an E?

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Most people think I'm far more extraverted than I actually am. I do love being around people, but almost equally love being alone to read, write, be online and research ideas and philosophies,etc...

I'm very extraverted with people who know me well. I will talk them to death, and that's why I think they believe I'm so extraverted. Also, I am professionally extraverted and know how to take charge on the job or in a business. I have no problems promoting a business idea aggressively, but I don't promote myself too much. I prefer that the spotlight not be on me.

In an intimate classroom setting, I will speak out a lot and get engaged in conversation. In my larger college lectures, I rarely spoke and I sat in the back. Unless someone is clearly an introvert, I prefer to be approached than approach.

Ambivert here for sure.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Here's the skinny
At checkout counter of store:
Checkout clerk:smile:: Hi, did you find everything ok?
stain:): Everthing except my personality and sense of humor. You see, i lost it in the parking lot here 2 weeks ago. So, i decided to check the lost and found and the lost and found clerk there said ":D: Not to sure i follow you." So, i then went around back and rumaged through the dumpsters to see if they were there. Very little luck. i guess the wind blew them away.
Checkout clerk:smile:: lol
stain:): :)

The reason i do that is to avoid the 'same ol same ol' stuff. But when a clerk tweeks the convo into more personal yet comfortable (to her/him) dialog due to feeling more at ease with an unusually different customer from the response the clerk recieved from there 'same ol same ol' question, i feel the clerks convo tweeking as a bit of an intrusion (perhaps) and a bit too close for someone i don't know. Even though their convo shift wasn't all that personal.

Sound ENFP-ish?

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
See, I sometimes waver between I and E like many others here, but for me it's a little different. I need very little alone time. Frankly, all I need is the twenty minutes alone that I get every day in the shower. If I get much more than that, ma pants get antsy.

Still, I'm called introverted all the time. My voice is very soft and I'm gentle and laid-back. Also, I'm sensitive, so if I feel like I don't fit in a social situation, I will shut up hard core.

I wouldn't know which personality I am had I not read all the descriptions I could get for both ENFP and INFP. INFP just doesn't fit. ENFP does.

Regardless, I think most people would guess me an introvert. Everyone except for my good friends and, of course, the strangers that I love chatting up in grocery store lines.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Most of them wouldn't describe me as extravert, but hey, everyone would turn introverted when they're surrounded by exhausting people!