• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] What book should every NF read?

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, or generally anything by Carson McCullers

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, definitely.
also, Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

wastrd

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm positively surprised no one has mentioned Paulo Coelho.

Chloe

I'm positively surprised no one has mentioned Paulo Coelho.

+1 ;)

The Unbearable Lightness of Being--fantastic book giving the T vs. F perspective on intimate relationships with the backdrop of social change.

1984--brilliant and frightening

+1
Kundera is my all time favorite. :smile:

+ one hundred years of solitude.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Milan Kundera is an NF uber-genius. His writing is so deep and psychological - it feels so rich and good to me, like a beautiful meal. Read anything by him!
I recommend reading Ulysses by Joyce for a shot of tream-of-consciousness mind calesthenics. I can read one page and my mind catches fire from the shear creative bacchanalia of it. Same for Shakespeare. The words!
Lincoln's speeches are inspiring too.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry (I believe that's the author's name)
War and Peace :smile:- Tolstoy
The Razor's Edge - W. Somerset Maughm (also Of Human Bondage is good too)
Bleak House - Dickens
Portrait of a Lady - James
Love in the Time of Cholera - Garcia Marquez

--------------

Oh, there are many more!!! (for example, I'm reading Daniel Deronda right now (by George Eliot - who was probably an INTJ) and am really enjoying it; only halfway through though) And sorry, I like long books. :)

And yes re. Kundera - I'd say he's an INFJ author

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I loathe Harry Potter.

LOL!

I understand.

Madame Bovary!
Tipping The Velvet!

Jacob Have I Loved (it's a young adult novel)
Phantom Tollbooth
The Namesake

the short story collection by jeanette winterson

grasshoppersings

MBTI Type
infj
Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

The Four Agreements by that Native American author guy of the Toltec tribe

My favorite book above all others ever written or to be written is by my favorite author. The book is the Bible. A book that actually reads you as you read it. Fascinating.

heart

heart on fire
I had zero sympathy for Madam Bovary. In the early parts of the book, I wanted to slap her silly! Then when she kills herself I am just stunned thinking what about your child?!?! Epitomy of selfishness.

And I also had very little sympathy for Anna Karenina.

I loathe Harry Potter.

Me too. :D

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

ooer, cos i really dug her sometimes when it comes to things i don't like about myself, ha.

but.. on another note, i loathe harry potter as well! ;)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had zero sympathy for Madam Bovary. In the early parts of the book, I wanted to slap her silly! Then when she kills herself I am just stunned thinking what about your child?!?! Epitomy of selfishness.

I had no sympathy for Madame Bovary either. I had only a little for Anna Karenina, but I don't think Tolstoy meant for you to have much. I did enjoy his contrast of her & her brother's affairs (she ends up with sooo many problems from her infidelity, but he keeps messing around while his wife has all the anguish).

I did have much sympathy for Edna in The Awakening though. That's another good NF read.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I did have much sympathy for Edna in The Awakening though. That's another good NF read.

OMG, did all of us take comp lit in school? LOL

At Heart and Orange ^^ that's exactly why NFs should read Madame Bovary! I just thought it was the awesomest example of "discursive" la la la writing ever! I loved how Flaubert could go on for pages just describing the countryside or someone walking down a field. I wish I were fluent in French to see what it's like in its untranslated glory.

I liked the Awakening. I know a lot of reviewers at the time painted Edna as "selfish" but I thought Chopin was trying to show how she was forced to make this stand and be courageous, but then, that may be my own post-modern feminist (obvious) read on things.

Another one:

Jane Eyre

But seriously if you are NF, I really recommend "Tipping The Velvet" it'll get your Fi/Fe all tickled.

lalalost

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo is pretty epic :) And other classics like Death of a Salesman, Great Gatsby...

I despise Twilight.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Catcher in the Rye. It's a classic, but every young NF should read it. It gives relevency to the "Because I feel like it" aspect of our personality, how we can do things for no particular reason unlike our cousins, those cold blooded NTs.

Even though Holden is probably an ISFP and not an NF, NFs reading the book will find depth in every thing he does and it will all symbolize something, whatever you make it out to be.