• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ theme and variations

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've noticed that there is quite a range of kinds of INFJs.

Synarch had an interesting characterization of them (eg the delver, the crackpot, etc) in another thread.Others have also alluded to at least 3 different common enneagram types that are often INFJs.* I personally have found in online forums some INFJs that I really identify with and others that seem so far removed, I don't have much that I can relate to.

If you had to describe any distinct varieties of INFJs that you know what would you call them/how would you characterize them?*

Also, do you think that the types commonly attracted to INFJs are drawn to INFJs generally, or certain species of them, depending on type?* (eg ENTPs like one strain more while INTJs might like a different strain of them)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm trying to remember where it was - somewhere in the Bonfire discussions, but I can't remember where. I'll bet either Sarcasticus or Synarch would remember, if they read this. It wasn't extensive. I think three categories with a one sentence description.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Too lazy to re-write. Not sure if this is similar to synarch's theme...

*chuckles* Bad experiences with other Fe users does not exempt you for the category.

It seems to me that INFJs come in two flavours... Scrap that, 3 flavours.

InFJ <- very heavy on Fe (ladypinkington is a good example)
INFj <- I don't mean socionics, light distant affection (Toonia)
INfJ <- The confusing Ti varient that looks half like INTP, but the J-ness makes the casual acquaintance think you're INTJ.

V

violaine

^I like these.

INFJ Subtypes:

The Pleaser - Takes in people who need their "help" and caring. Unable to not sympathize.
The Crackpot - Believes in The Man. Feels victimized and / or paranoid about the larger world.
The Delver - Has a particular interest and is following it to it's conclusion.
The Archon - Has a plan for their life and is following it. Constantly optimizing.

I didn't really identify with any of these as being all-encompassing. I could easily be the crackpot, the delver and the archon. I assume they were written quickly though and need fleshing out to be made more distinctive and comprehensive.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I didn't really identify with any of these as being all-encompassing. I could easily be the crackpot, the delver and the archon. I assume they were written quickly though and need fleshing out to be made more distinctive and comprehensive.

I totally half-assed that list in about 2 minutes. So, yeah. It's far from fleshed out.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
We liked it though Synarch. Expand please!

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
We liked it though Synarch. Expand please!

Thou art too kinde.

That's going to take some thought and since it doesn't have anything to do with myself it will take a lot more thought than usual. I will think on it during my long drive this afternoon.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, want to flesh 'em out now? :p

Yes, dear.

battle_ax.jpg

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
We'll try to be patient! In the meantime, does anyone else have any distinct INFJ varieties they'd like to offer?

V

violaine

LA posted this in the thread I quoted Synarch from. Covers it very nicely:

I've found Socionics subtypes to be fairly interesting (in that poorly translated from Russian way); their subtypes have been a springboard from which I've begun to delineate the differences between people of the same type. The subtypes are based on the idea that within a type, individuals of that type will be disposed to focus on either their dominant or auxiliary function. There is also a balanced subtype. This produces two main subtypes, with the third falling somewhere in between the two extremes. These are my descriptions of them:

Idiosyncratic INFJ
[Ni-focused]

This subtype of INFJ appears quiet, serious, and somewhat shy initially, but can open up and be very outgoing, verbose, and witty. Likes joking, laughing, and discussing ideas with a small group of people they are familiar with. Can be mistaken for an extravert. Is somewhat possessive of those they love, including and especially their friends and significant other. Can be a bit moodier than the other subtype, and may manifest a great temper when angered or offended. Is often interested in mysticism, the occult, and other symbolic studies, and is original in thought and behavior. May speak metaphorically and is inclined to abstract and figurative thinking. They are also often absent-minded, dreamy, and immersed in their inner world. Likes to advise others and are full of new concepts and ways of seeing the world; observer of people. Their primary interest lies in upliftment of self and others, and finding a "higher" understanding of life through study and the sharing of innovative and progressive ideas.

Often of Enneagram type 4w5; high Ni types inclined to 4w3
Often attracted to extraverts, especially ENFPs and ENTPs

Psychologist INFJ
[Fe(i)-focused]

This subtype of INFJ is serious, well-mannered, and diplomatic. Prefers serious conversation and rarely, if ever, jokes. Has a calm and passionless presence, and can come off as cold and reserved. Can be mistaken for ISFJ at first meeting. They are prudent in offering opinions, but when they do are very insightful. Is skilled in handling wide varieties of people and can be found giving one-on-one advice. Common occupations include teacher, librarian, psychologist, or social worker. Often religious and/or follows a system of morality. Abhors injustice, violence, and conflict, and sticks up for the underdog. May come off as pedantic or self-righteous. They are hardworking and responsible, and emanate great wisdom and life experience even when young. Seem down-to-earth, stable, and graceful. Some are interested in humanitarian issues and/or alternative lifestyles.

Often of Enneagram type 9, with a possible wing type of 1
Often attracted to introverts, especially INTxs

In different discussions I have had with others it's been noted that there are what was termed the librarian style of INFJ (though that sounds slightly pejorative) and the more bohemian/arty INFJ.

I quite like Nightning's categorizations.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^I was just posting this; you beat me to it! :cheese:

Although I'm still working on those types...

V

violaine

Oops, sorry! After I posted it I was wondering if I should have just VMd you! They are wonderful descriptions.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^...great minds :)

In different discussions I have had with others it's been noted that there are what was termed the librarian style of INFJ (though that sounds slightly pejorative) and the more bohemian/arty INFJ.

My subtypes are basically those.

LavaLucy

MBTI Type
infj
This is interesting, I think I identify much more with the first one - but I work in a library like the second one mysterious.

I'm pretty sure I know 2 or 3 infjs (after complaining that I didn't know any and trying to find some) now ... but still they seem nothing like me, unless that's what all infjs think. They are much more conventional? I suppose than I think myself to be and a lot less silly or into strange/geeky things. Maybe I just hang around with too many in_ps :) good times.
So I am yet to meet someone who feels similar to me. I was excited, I answered this ad for an infj coffee group (whoa) someone wanted to started and they never emailed me back :(

Anyways this is interesting, please continue..

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That Idiosyncratic INFJ describes me to the dot.