• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] Te can be very soothing?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Ok, so unless I have this wrong, Te is expressed by organising things into categories to maximise efficiency, making chore rosters? planning budgets? stuff like that?

Whenever I get really depressed, I find myself naturally falling back onto heavy use of Te to get through that day. I find it soothing to shut down my primary functions and lose myself in organising my life into categories, creating my weekly menu's and shopping lists, matching that to my budget.

My walls begin to look like some control freaks wall, with exact times for each chore to be done, for each person to do their share (because it's up on the wall you know lol) to speed up the process with minimal interruptions.

I don't want to exercise my Ne in a fantasy related way, I don't want to filter anything through my Fi because it's preoccupied with something else and isn;t thinking clearly.

Infact I won't be able to handle any emotional stress until after my day or two of heavy Te usage. Even my sleep has a time set for it, including the amount of hours I can afford to waste sleeping in relation to the other tasks I need to get done.

I am like a robot, I am not communicative except to point out if there is something you need to be doing to be doing your fair share, but that's it.

In a few days I am myself again, I slip back into my chaotic lifestyle and I feel refreshed.

Do any other NFP's find they need to do this sometimes to clear the cobwebs out?

Also, is this an example of stress and the shadow type coming out to play?

EDIT: and actually, was I even right about this being how Te is expressed?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Plz teach me how to do this :D
I just go on a Ne-rampage when my Fi is busy. If it's Ne that's overloaded, I'll revert to Fi, doing self-reflection

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Wha? :huh:

For a second I thought you meant Te was soothing to other people I was gonna say, hell no! LOL.

But soothe yourself?

Sure...I know when I organize events or even just make lists I feel better. I get perverse pleasure out of neatly stacking and ordering books or folding laundry. Have no idea if that is necessarily Te but the whole feeling in control and directly organizing the environment or what not, yes, it makes me feel better. Bringing order to chaos! You put the locus of control back on yourself and effect change...and all that...I like debating even, it puts me in a better mood.

Berber, just wondering but when did you figure out you were ENFP and not INFP?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I do this all the time. Especially in 'stressful' times like before a project is due, studying, or big problems.

I find it a great source of comfort. It feels as though I am 'taking control of my life.' Otherwise, things start spinning out of control. I even made a video blog about this, which if you allow me to post, will allow you to see my perspective about this.

[YOUTUBE="FVSRNNH59u4"]Tertiary Te FTW[/YOUTUBE]

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Plz teach me how to do this :D
I just go on a Ne-rampage when my Fi is busy. If it's Ne that's overloaded, I'll revert to Fi, doing self-reflection

Haha wish I could teach you, I never used to do this as much, but late 20's up til now it's become more pronounced.

Everything else just shuts down and I lose myself in the comfort of taking control. :)

Wha? :huh:

For a second I thought you meant Te was soothing to other people I was gonna say, hell no! LOL.

But soothe yourself?

Sure...I know when I organize events or even just make lists I feel better. I get perverse pleasure out of neatly stacking and ordering books or folding laundry. Have no idea if that is necessarily Te but the whole feeling in control and directly organizing the environment or what not, yes, it makes me feel better. Bringing order to chaos! You put the locus of control back on yourself and effect change...and all that...I like debating even, it puts me in a better mood.

:yes: It doesn't really matter how hard I try, I can never make order out of the chaos that is my mind, but I can do it outside of myself.

Berber, just wondering but when did you figure out you were ENFP and not INFP?

I'm still not 100% actually, LadyX suggested I look at it for a type for me since she felt an enfp vibe from me, so I did an enneagram test, and the cognitive functions test, which was Ne/Fi instead of Fi/Ne.

I think I am an extrovert with social anxiety.

Yes, I do this all the time. Especially in 'stressful' times like before a project is due, studying, or big problems.

I find it a great source of comfort. It feels as though I am 'taking control of my life.' Otherwise, things start spinning out of control. I even made a video blog about this, which if you allow me to post, will allow you to see my perspective about this.

[YOUTUBE="FVSRNNH59u4"]Tertiary Te FTW[/YOUTUBE]

Haha that was awesome, this is exactly what it's like for me. Everything else shuts down, and getting things done, being efficient is all the really matters. :yes:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I do try to do that, I tend to feel guilty for doing 'mundane' things instead of figuring out the problem :doh:

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
If I do try to do that, I tend to feel guilty for doing 'mundane' things instead of figuring out the problem :doh:

Oh, believe me, I don't do any of this until far too much time has passed in which I still haven't been able to figure out the problem.

Also, once it's all done, and I go back to being crazy again, I can do it without guilt because I managed to get a few important things done.

I actually feel more guilt for not doing the mundane things more often. I feel guilty for being absorbed up there ^^^ in the clouds, rather than down here in the real world.

Using Te, helps get rid of the guilt.

Maybe this is what blackcat meant when he spoke of actually being aware of and making use of Te as a means to improve your life. :doh: The penny drops finally lol.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you like the Functions-Order theory, they say the 3rd function *is* usually used as a source of relaxation. And as you said, in its own way, using Te could feel "soothing"...

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Ok, so unless I have this wrong, Te is expressed by organising things into categories to maximise efficiency, making chore rosters? planning budgets? stuff like that?

Whenever I get really depressed, I find myself naturally falling back onto heavy use of Te to get through that day. I find it soothing to shut down my primary functions and lose myself in organising my life into categories, creating my weekly menu's and shopping lists, matching that to my budget.

My walls begin to look like some control freaks wall, with exact times for each chore to be done, for each person to do their share (because it's up on the wall you know lol) to speed up the process with minimal interruptions.

I don't want to exercise my Ne in a fantasy related way, I don't want to filter anything through my Fi because it's preoccupied with something else and isn;t thinking clearly.

Infact I won't be able to handle any emotional stress until after my day or two of heavy Te usage. Even my sleep has a time set for it, including the amount of hours I can afford to waste sleeping in relation to the other tasks I need to get done.

I am like a robot, I am not communicative except to point out if there is something you need to be doing to be doing your fair share, but that's it.

In a few days I am myself again, I slip back into my chaotic lifestyle and I feel refreshed.

Do any other NFP's find they need to do this sometimes to clear the cobwebs out?

ya...i do that...especially when im stressed and want to avoid people's pity....i turn intj

heart

heart on fire

Te for you as ENFP is your Tertiary "relief" (At least this is what I understand it as) and the 3rd position is a more "childlike" function, your Te as such would be less "heavy" than mine as INFP?

So in me, heavy exclusive use of Te would be a sign of being stressed to the max and not so relaxing.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
This may be a more general human reaction to the sense of losing control over one's life, rather than typological reaction specifically to stress.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wish I had that! My life would be better if I took any pleasure at organizing things and making lists, etc. Every once in a huge while I do that -- and then I lose the list.

If I'm stressed, I want something that feels good, like massage, food, sex, sleep.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
It's my release. :yes: Researching, organizing, rationalizing. If I ever do something sensory-oriented, it's usually because it gives me time to think.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
If you like the Functions-Order theory, they say the 3rd function *is* usually used as a source of relaxation. And as you said, in its own way, using Te could feel "soothing"...

Interesting, I didn't know that the 3rd function was considered a source of relaxation, but it seems to gel well with what I'm experiencing.

ya...i do that...especially when im stressed and want to avoid people's pity....i turn intj

Yes, that's part of it, if I have fallen back into this behaviour to get me through it is because I don't want to talk about it, because I really couldn't stomach any pity. :yes:

Te for you as ENFP is your Tertiary "relief" (At least this is what I understand it as) and the 3rd position is a more "childlike" function, your Te as such would be less "heavy" than mine as INFP?

So in me, heavy exclusive use of Te would be a sign of being stressed to the max and not so relaxing.

I really should read up some more on this, there is alot I don't know about why and how the functions work in the order they do. It's very interesting piecing it all together.

This may be a more general human reaction to the sense of losing control over one's life, rather than typological reaction specifically to stress.

True, that would make sense to. :)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It's my release. :yes: Researching, organizing, rationalizing. If I ever do something sensory-oriented, it's usually because it gives me time to think.

Yeah, I think I use it to help get me out of my procrastination loop.

sculpting

I am with you here.

When I get totally emo freaked and can't figure out what to do next-Ne overload, I make lists.

Then I force my self to start at the first item. Pretty soon I am off and running and I feel my confidence levels picking up as I feel like I am competant and accomplishing things. The aspect of control over the localized things around me seems to help me feel more in control of all my Ne emo as well.

It does also seem to shut down Fi quite a bit and I become very impersonal and blunt but effective.

I learned this my senior year in high school when I would be so overwhelmed with stuff to do and I would verge on minipanic attacks.

Thisguy-that INTJ transition for an entp suddenly makes a lot more sense as I notice some of mine do this and can be real terse, however if it allows them to gain control over chaos I could see it being a useful tool.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
... quick question ...

Someone said Te is hell for other people, why is that?
I thought I read that people who use Te can organize people well

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

:yes: Certainly rings true for me. I would add here though that I am also doing this in the ideas realm.
Step 1 -- detaching from any emotions felt connected to the situation/task (lack of motivation, any fears or concerns)
Step 2 -- if it's a task, like you said, break it down quite well and almost to an extreme into little bits and set time frames for everything. If it's ideas, organize/categorize/prioritize and also use that in debate for following the other person's argument (you missed A or B is not a good analogy). I read somewhere that Te helps present an argument based on facts that are available to everyone.

Yep. :cry: People are very surprised about this though because the Ne crazy person who is constantly cracking up at themselves turns on 'business mode'. I have friends repeatedly ask me if I'm okay. More often than not, I'm a-okay just in Te mode.

I have periods of going back and forth. I think perhaps this is because my job has been pretty stressful this past year so I've been doing it more. Else, my work requires being able to go back and forth between the two.

Sometimes, I really wish I could use thinking in the interpersonal realm. My relationships are so Ne/Fi ruled which sucks. If I could use Ti more, I'd be making better decisions.

I wonder about this too. I thought it was. I'm curious to hear about this from other people too.

Could the folding of laundry and organizing your environment be more Se? Just wondering since its a sensory thing to do.

sculpting

... quick question ...

Someone said Te is hell for other people, why is that?
I thought I read that people who use Te can organize people well

check out the tertiary Te thread that amar started a bit ago in the NF land.

Te isnt really very nice at all to others as it is about accomplishing tasks, items, things, not about cuddling and emo connections.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
If I'm stressed, I want something that feels good, like massage, food, sex, sleep.

I'm all about loud music, sex, and going over the details of things that I like. With the last thing I think that what I'm doing is trying to find the exact details that make hobby's like linguistics and MBTI appeal so much to me. I'm not so much into massage but I think that's the result of being crazy ticklish :). Food and sleep meh. The food thing is really interesting to me because you would think someone with Se would resort to that. Also, have you considered that maybe you're an ENFJ, tilty, rather than INFJ? I would think that you would find stress in the details.

And no, JocktheMotie, I don't use Te when I get stressed as you can see above. It is true that Te and Se are somewhat similar but while I may line up all the details I don't make lists of things to do or make myself more organized when stressed. I don't assign any value to any of the details, I simply acknowledge their presence and strive for a completeness of my perception of them. What's really cool is that I know pretty much everything about my favorite hobbies after I'm stressed or I'm at least quite advanced in comprehending them (If they're a theory for instance.) I've been told that this looks a lot like Ti when I explain theories I like to others.