• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] new age people?

S

Sniffles

I wouldn't call what I do New Age. In fact it's a common insult in the Pagan community as it's generally associated with wannabe's and treehuggers that have lost touch with reality (though I'm pretty sure this isn't true for all of them). Yes, I'd say NFs are attracted to it, but I'd also say that since it's become a trend, I doubt they're the largest group of practitioners these days.

Yes, I own crystals and I do use them. They're one of the many tools I use in my spiritual path. I know of the chakras but haven't worked with this elaborately yet, no channeling, meditation yes, ufo's hell no, mysteries ?, ghosts no unless you count my ancestors or nature spirits, ESP no, astrology basic knowledge, no practice, tarot yes, palmistry no but on my list. Other things...yes, but I think it's best to not go into detail :)

Translation: Im a new ager in denial. :tongue10: :smooch:

I don't adhere to New Age beliefs(being a devout Catholic), but I do admit to a certain interest and curiousity about it - as well as the paranormal and occult in general. I have to admit that the real hard-core hippie types do piss me off.

lua

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
The closest thing I have to anything New Age (oops, actually I do own a tie-dye shirt) is a tarot card - "The Lovers" - that my creepy stalker mailed me last month.

I guess I'm interested in learning about metaphysics, but I'm interested in learning about most things.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Basically I care only for the techniques and mechanics of it, and am not interested in some attached philosophy. Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Sit still and be quiet for a long time, and it supposedly empties your head.

I can't get past the sitting still part. :doh:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But don't stereotype me, please. I've been stereotyped here enough.

You seem to be very afraid of this. Freaked out, so to say.
Why do you care so much about what people think of you?

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
i Do tarot cards as a way to get conversation going and people to open up.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are the NF's the ones who are the most into the new age movement?
Things like chakras, channeling, paranormal, spiritual, meditation, crystals, ufo's, mysteries, ghosts, ESP, astrology, tarot, palmistry, etc.?
Which type is the most new age?
Is it ENFP or INFP or?

Maybe...the stereotypical NF anyway. I could see other types liking this stuff.

Personally, I am religious & Christian, but not exactly "traditional". I suppose I have some "unusual" beliefs. I don't like to discuss it online though. :)

I don't practice anything to do with magic and am not into "mystical" stuff. I believe in spirituality though, and I love symbolism.

I really, really dislike most self-help books & avoid that section at the bookstore :D. I enjoy psychology, but I find a lot of self-help stuff to be too fluffy and not founded on anything very "legitimate". Cognitive behavioral therapy is something I can get on board with, when it's not packaged as some goofy self-help system. I admit that advice from those books often clash with my personal values and I just end up perturbed.

Do you own a tie dye shirt?

I own a maxi dress that has a subtle tye dye print :D. It's not that hippy looking though. I tend to prefer an elegant bohemian look when I go that route. Hippies are too...dirty! Probably from all that tree-hugging :tongue:

I admit some of my ideals sound disturbingly "happy hippy" when I say them outloud. :D

G

Ginkgo

Translation: Im a new ager in denial. :tongue10: :smooch:

I don't adhere to New Age beliefs(being a devout Catholic), but I do admit to a certain interest and curiousity about it - as well as the paranormal and occult in general. I have to admit that the real hard-core hippie types do piss me off.

Then this will really piss you off. :)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LANwIgpha7k"]Age of Aquarius[/YOUTUBE]

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Things like chakras, channeling, paranormal, spiritual, meditation, crystals, ufo's, mysteries, ghosts, ESP, astrology, tarot, palmistry, etc.?
Is it ENFP or INFP or?
Do you have any crystals?

As a percentage of their type, I would guess INFJs would top the list in being interested in these types of things.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
I for one am very interested in New Age "stuff" Spirituality, mediums, Law of Attraction, etc. I sometimes go to a Spiritualist church, and my mum (INFJ) and I have endless supplies of Spiritual and Self-help books, ha. Oh, and angel cards. :cool:

But I'm questioning my type at the moment. :rolleyes: lol.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Is it ENFP or INFP or?

I relate to none of the above. I'm a Baptist. And very wary of New Age stuff.
I know some people who messed up with transcendental meditation and mediums, and ended up with demonic presences in their houses and even demonic possession.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know some people who messed up with transcendental meditation and mediums, and ended up with demonic presences in their houses and even demonic possession.

That is so scary.
Perhaps I should stop trying to revive my dead cactus... :horor:

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
:yes: should there be a tinge of embarisment associated with this?? ... Does it mean you're an NF if there ain't?? :D:D:D HAHAHA

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
New Age is trying to reinvent old school thought and market it as something new when clearly there is nothing new about the New Age. Its a mish mash of ideas borrowed from everywhere without a uniform platform to take any of it seriously. And hence dubious people of disreputable merit milk it for what its worth. A band wagon of amusement to be taken as lighthearted entertainment, has a lot of negatives since there is wishy washy stuff that isn't pertinent to reality. While I find myself interested in many systems and ideologies, the notions and images the New Age conjures up should be changed to something that sounds less new agey. :cheese:

Is the New Age like a fine wine or a beer that's left out of the fridge too long?

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is the New Age like a fine wine or a beer that's left out of the fridge too long?

Apple juice with a Tokai label for pseudo-intellectual spiritualists to munch on.

Chloe

Things like chakras, channeling, paranormal, spiritual:yes:, meditation, crystals, ufo's, mysteries, ghosts, ESP, astrology, tarot, palmistry, etc.?
Is it ENFP or INFP or?

In my case I'm only into spirituality. Lately. I've began to really feel the need for spiritual..

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
I despise the term "New Age" with a passion. The majority of the practices sold to the New Age crowd are older than Christianity.

I do, in a spiritual sense, practice some things considered New Age. I practice Kundalini yoga and meditation from time to time... focusing on chakra roots and so on. I fast and I'm a vegetarian. I focus far more on Eastern spiritual philosophy than western. No I don't perform crystal healing or listen to trance music. :p

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it ENFP or INFP or?

Negative to all of the above. I think pretty much everything listed is ridiculous. The only thing I would not scoff at on that list would be 'meditation', but only because its aim is to bring about more self-awareness, which could lead to growth as an individual, and I'm all about that. I myself don't meditate, though - in the sense that is meant by the word. As for 'spiritual', I do not think it is a great descriptor of myself, at least as the word is typically used, since I do not practice or hold to any specific beliefs/rituals, although ethically I think I have solid beliefs and I also have quite an affinity, love, appreciation, and care for the natural world/ecology, and the universe at large.

I suppose the New Age movement would have a good % consisting of NF's, but honestly I think the other half could easily be xSFP's.

Synapse said:
New Age is trying to reinvent old school thought and market it as something new when clearly there is nothing new about the New Age. Its a mish mash of ideas borrowed from everywhere without a uniform platform to take any of it seriously. And hence dubious people of disreputable merit milk it for what its worth. A band wagon of amusement to be taken as lighthearted entertainment, has a lot of negatives since there is wishy washy stuff that isn't pertinent to reality.

:yes:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm not a big follower of the new age stuff anymore, but I don't think someone can be royally opposed to it, or rule it all off as "wishy washy" nonsense because it holds a lot of Truth. But then again, a lot of it fluffy gibberish.