• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] new age people?

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Try stuff on buddhism, and zen in particular. Other schools of Buddhism have their selling points as well. Some martial arts schools teach this genre of meditation as well. Most of the above will be generally applicable, ie not-buddhist in flavor. "Pay attention to your breathing, when your mind wanders return it to your breathing", nothing particularly requiring a buddhist orientation/perspective there.

There are scientifically shown benefits of meditation: as I recall reduced stress, improved serotonin levels, more oxygen in the blood, reduced stress kind of stuff. Similar results for tai chi and yogic stretching/postures.

Find meditation that is about either maintaining internal awareness and/or paying attention to breathing, that should divest you of any of that 'gimmicky hippy nonsense'. The hindu/yoga stuff, that could go either way. Yogic stuff as taught in this country is rather sterilized and would be similar to the breath and buddhism stuff mentioned above. Some of the Hindu stuff, well, gets rather "flowery", which may or may not be someone's 'cup of tea', and it sounds like its not yours.

Basically I care only for the techniques and mechanics of it, and am not interested in some attached philosophy. Thank you for the suggestions. :)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I find my ISFJ friend way more interested in all of this than I am.

I love all things new, so they may call of this stuff "new age", but it's not new and different enough to excite me.

It's all advertised as being from old traditions, either wicca before christianity, or something they've been using in the far east for over a thousand years. Take tarot or reiki? they're not new are they?

None of it is actually new. This is why they appeal to my isfj friend so much, old, steeped in tradition and symbolism, full of rituals that make her feel something, and just make me say "why"?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I live in a multicolored volkswagon bus, tye-dye my HAIR, never shave under my pits (I braid it) and live in a group marriage with seven spiritual beings from Sirus A. I don't like Sirus B men, they smell funny and they have pudgy legs.

We all ride around to the different parking lots reading people's fortunes.
:party: I thought you seemed familiar!

I am immensely entertained by New Age people and end up around them often by mistake. I've even chanted in circles with a crystal bowl resonating on my head, but that was largely for the money which I needed badly. True story.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't call what I do New Age. In fact it's a common insult in the Pagan community as it's generally associated with wannabe's and treehuggers that have lost touch with reality (though I'm pretty sure this isn't true for all of them). Yes, I'd say NFs are attracted to it, but I'd also say that since it's become a trend, I doubt they're the largest group of practitioners these days.

Yes, I own crystals and I do use them. They're one of the many tools I use in my spiritual path. I know of the chakras but haven't worked with this elaborately yet, no channeling, meditation yes, ufo's hell no, mysteries ?, ghosts no unless you count my ancestors or nature spirits, ESP no, astrology basic knowledge, no practice, tarot yes, palmistry no but on my list. Other things...yes, but I think it's best to not go into detail :)

P

Phantonym

I'm not into the New Age stuff but I find people who are into it very fascinating. It's the passion they seem to invest in it that I find appealing. For them, it's everything. I have a friend who's a masseuse and interested in all sorts of New Age things. She can talk forever about all things esoteric.

I own a deck of Tarot cards and use it maybe once a year. Mostly because I love the gorgeous images on the cards :) For me, dabbling in Tarot is introspection, not something to live your life by. Just something to get you thinking, maybe get some things sorted out. There's also something in it that causes an uneasy feeling that accompanies me for quite some time.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I love Metaphysics.

I don't like New Age anything, because it's just a modern day hippie movement and a load of rubbish.

I agree with Scott N Denver- you can't connect Buddhism/Taoism with New Age. And I'd be much more of mind to follow in Buddhist and Taoist teachings, which I have.

Has anybody heard of Ram Dass? He wrote 'Remember: Be Here Now' which I have read and drawn a ton of meaning and virtue from. Stuff like that, that you take meaning and virtue from, is where is should be at. All else just gets in the way of having a practical and real spiritual awakening.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
ESP is closely linked to Intuition in my opinion.

You can even have Extrasensory Perception Dreams where you escape into a void alters time and space and be thrown into somebody else's experiences somewhere else in the globe from a different town. It can be attained in REM sleep, under use of Psychedelics, or through deep meditation.

It's the same concept as having a vision. Native Americans use to travel into the hills and meditate and have visions, which can be closely related to ESP.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Has anybody heard of Ram Dass? He wrote 'Remember: Be Here Now' which I have read and drawn a ton of meaning and virtue from. Stuff like that, that you take meaning and virtue from, is where is should be at. All else just gets in the way of having a practical and real spiritual awakening.

Yes. Wasn't he famous for "discovering' Neem Karoli Baba?

I want to read his books at some point but have not yet. He went to India and met people there. Pretty famous name, one of those 1960's Americans who went to India and brought stuff back, in his case more Hindu stuff. Others brought back Buddhist stuff.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Perhaps some clarification would be order. I see at least 4 groups coming up in discussion here: New Age, metaphysics, eastern, pagan. Personally, I'm not particularly sure what distinguishes the first and second from each other. The first, second, and fourth may very well all share similarities making it more important to draw defining lines. For example using crystals for healing. Even the second acknowledges it can be done [I've seen it discussed in books on taoism and chi kung for example] but places low priority on it, but I think the 1st 2nd and 4th all actually do it.

Correct me if I am wrong but we all seem to think that the 1st is sort of "the new kids on the block", perhaps somewhat misguided in their approach, and perhaps not actually very good at what they do.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
IME New agey people are the ones most likely to talk about "the energy." As in "the energy of this room is bad" "[peron's] energy is bad" "this pencils energy is bad", "I'm getting a bad feeling about this", etc.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Perhaps some clarification would be order. I see at least 4 groups coming up in discussion here: New Age, metaphysics, eastern, pagan. Personally, I'm not particularly sure what distinguishes the first and second from each other. The first, second, and fourth may very well all share similarities making it more important to draw defining lines. For example using crystals for healing. Even the second acknowledges it can be done [I've seen it discussed in books on taoism and chi kung for example] but places low priority on it, but I think the 1st 2nd and 4th all actually do it.

Correct me if I am wrong but we all seem to think that the 1st is sort of "the new kids on the block", perhaps somewhat misguided in their approach, and perhaps not actually very good at what they do.

IME New agey people are the ones most likely to talk about "the energy." As in "the energy of this room is bad" "[peron's] energy is bad" "this pencils energy is bad", "I'm getting a bad feeling about this", etc.

Yeah, New Age is overrated. But there are a few themes of it that I like. I love metaphysics. It's funny but not a lot of New Age-ers are aware of Metaphysics or at least really aware of it..but then again, how can be be sure we even know what we're talking about. As for paganism, I haven't really thought of it. Native American myth is considered Paganism to a degree so I guess I believe in it.

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Strange but true

Hmmm, this is a very interesting question. I have a very strong science background but don't entirely discount someone having a different belief system.

While I was living in South America I took part in a Candomble ritual in Bahia, Brazil. This is very different from "voodoo" which is considered a channeling of more negative forces,or "black magic," as was explained to me by the locals. The ritual involved inducing a trance on a participant and taking away evil spirits through the actions of the priestess. She called out all the non-local people to take part (obviously I was a doubting thomas:huh:)and I have to say I experienced the most overwhelming sense of euphoria that took over my body. My friend also took part and years later she said she experienced nothing to what I described. To this day I don't understand what happened, but I just accept it.

So, although I don't believe in New Age for myself, I don't discount it. I also have no crystals, tie-dyed shirts but I do like Enya.:yes:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Are the NF's the ones who are the most into the new age movement?
Things like chakras, channeling, paranormal, spiritual, meditation, crystals, ufo's, mysteries, ghosts, ESP, astrology, tarot, palmistry, etc.?

Don't own a tie dye shirt or crystals.
Love paranormal, spiritual, meditation, ghosts, ESP, astrology, tarot, palmistry and self help books. Saw a psychic twice.

Got to keep an open mind.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Unrelated to type, I've seen many people of many types be new agey. My mom is an ENFJ so I've been exposed to this kind of thing and met many different people.

So yeah. Not a type correlation.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I've dabbled in all that stuff, but then again, I've dabbled in just about everything.

Die-hard New-Agers creep me out, but I like a lot of ideas that come out of that movement.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've dabbled in all that stuff, but then again, I've dabbled in just about everything.

Die-hard New-Agers creep me out, but I like a lot of ideas that come out of that movement.

Us ENFP like to dabble here and there, and places we shouldn't be but don't regret going. It gives the softness a little edge.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
When I was a teenager, I went to a new age happening with my mom who was interested in new age. We were very disappointed. The whole happening was a horrible hoax. Someone took low-quality "aura photos" and asked a lot of money for them-- they were photos taken with a lousy filter technique. Someone gave a speech about her "healing paintings" which were supposed to cure things like cancer and, of course, asked a lot of money for them. Someone sold tapes with an "angel meditation programme" to follow. And some people there seemed to be very much into that stuff. How could they be so gullible? I really don't see NFs in general to be like that.

Although a few of my NF friends did take part in a new age sort of thing last year... Turned out the "leader" of the cult was a narcissist. Luckily, my friends didn't get hooked on the thing, but left in time.

I do think there are some good ideas in new age, like many religions being paths that lead to the same God etc... but all the cults, hoaxes and silly trends around new age are repulsive.