• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] How can I tell if a female INFJ likes me or not?

ldzpplin518

MBTI Type
ISTJ
She and I (I'm an ISTJ) have been friends for about 9 years. I can't get a good read on her because we've been friends for so long. I'm probably just overanalyzing everything, as I'm wanton to do. Is there anything that I should be on the lookout for though?

We are training for the Chicago Marathon together, so we hang out all the time.

DO INFJs react well to bluntness? Should I tell her that I like her or just kiss her (that's really out of my comfort zone as a very shy guy)?

I'm driving myself up the wall with this one and would greatly appreciate any help.

P

Phantonym

Hi ldzpplin518! Welcome to the forums! As to your question, you might find this thread helpful. Good luck! :)

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
If you make a move and she doesn't like you that way, the 9 year friendship may end. Does she get all pissed off and territorial when there are other women around you?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
It depends on how brave you are...

I suggest you have a one-on-one talk with her in a quiet location. Tell her there's something you've been meaning to say to her for a while and just slowly explain it from your POV. Watch her reactions carefully while you're doing this. If she makes any avoidance gestures (that means tilting her body away from you despite turning her head to nod in your direction, watch where knees and feet point, or make fidgeting motions (however brief those might be... they should repeat though) then back off. Otherwise just tell her you like her. No kissing until the thought registered.

I suspect the first reaction an INFJ do if you suddenly kiss her is to push you away and follow perhaps by anger. (Heck we in general don't tolerate hugs too much. That's a good check... how often does she hug you relative to everybody else around?) Not a good way to start a relationship.

ldzpplin518

MBTI Type
ISTJ
If you make a move and she doesn't like you that way, the 9 year friendship may end. Does she get all pissed off and territorial when there are other women around you?

We usually hang out by ourselves or with our mutual guy friends. She doesn't generally like other girls because one of her ex-boyfriends cheated on her. However, when we do hang out in a group, she and I are usually having our own side conversation.

It depends on how brave you are...

I suggest you have a one-on-one talk with her in a quiet location. Tell her there's something you've been meaning to say to her for a while and just slowly explain it from your POV. Watch her reactions carefully while you're doing this. If she makes any avoidance gestures (that means tilting her body away from you despite turning her head to nod in your direction, watch where knees and feet point, or make fidgeting motions (however brief those might be... they should repeat though) then back off. Otherwise just tell her you like her. No kissing until the thought registered.

I suspect the first reaction an INFJ do if you suddenly kiss her is to push you away and follow perhaps by anger. (Heck we in general don't tolerate hugs too much. That's a good check... how often does she hug you relative to everybody else around?) Not a good way to start a relationship.

Since we usually run together, I'll try to talk to her then, but it'll be difficult, if not impossible, to judge her body language while doing this.

It's good to know that INFJs don't tolerate hugs too much, because we don't hug too often (but we do hug on occasion). I can't think of seeing her hug others when they are around.

I'd also like to add that while trying to feel things out, I invited her to my friend's wedding as well as on a weekend getaway with some of my college friends. She is really interested and took the time off work to go to both.

In any case, I need to just buck up, get over my innate shyness and just tell her how I feel. I'll make sure to post how things go.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Their advice all sucks. Phooey to their advice, they're introverts. I'm an ENFP. I'm fucking pro.

Just fucking grab her shoulders, smooch her right on the lips, look her in the eye, then walk away. Don't look back, just keep on walking.
Seriously.

Don't do anything weird with your tongue, just old-school pucker-face style. Use that MMMMMM-WAH sound if you'd like. When you look her in the eye, see if she's blushing or just confused looking. The thing is, you can pass it off as a momentary random kiss just for the hell of it. Do it when she's talking, nagging you, or something like that.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Their advice all sucks. Phooey to their advice, they're introverts. I'm an ENFP. I'm fucking pro.

Just fucking grab her shoulders, smooch her right on the lips, look her in the eye, then walk away. Don't look back, just keep on walking.
Seriously.

Don't do anything weird with your tongue, just old-school pucker-face style. Use that MMMMMM-WAH sound if you'd like. When you look her in the eye, see if she's blushing or just confused looking. The thing is, you can pass it off as a momentary random kiss just for the hell of it. Do it when she's talking, nagging you, or something like that.

If it was female trying to seduce male INFJ, I know I'D fall for it... but not Male-for-female INFJ, not usually anyway. I do think that trick only works AFTER she takes you into confidence (As in sees you as a significant other)

Oh, and that strategy is tough to pull off even IF she would fall for it. You practically have to be an ESTP to pull it off without a hitch ;)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If it was female trying to seduce male INFJ, I know I'D fall for it... but not Male-for-female INFJ, not usually anyway. I do think that trick only works AFTER she takes you into confidence (As in sees you as a significant other)

Oh, and that strategy is tough to pull off even IF she would fall for it. You practically have to be an ESTP to pull it off without a hitch ;)

Had an INTJ do that to me once, and even after rejecting him he still kept coming. He also got me in the end ;)

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lololol~ that's a great tactic!! Probably quite difficult for a shyer kind of person to pull off though. I'd like to know how an INFJ would treat a crush in comparison to a friend. From what I've noticed, they tend to be quite intimate with their friends as it is. You may have just broken through the distant Fe shield and into the Ni or something crazy like that.

And I just confirmed this in that "how to seduce as an INFJ" thread. They actually do do this. When they want you, they will supposedly make it slightly more clear: more smiles, more focused attention, and that's about it :doh:.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
like lauren ashley said in that other thread that sky blue linked: if she is spending most of her time with you, that is a good indicator. when i start 'letting someone in' i focus on them a lot; invite them over more, tm them more, am available more, etc. if i'm not interested, i don't do those things.

it's a bit more confusing because she's so close to you. but i would think if she's already let you in as a good friend, the potential is overwhelmingly there for y'all to become lovers. if she likes you enough (which is rare for infj) to do so many things with you, and share her past with you, she could make that leap pretty easily, i'd guess, judging from how i would be.

how to proceed? i'd prefer a guy in your position to take it slow so i could savor and comtemplate every nuance of the moment. i mean, once that line is crossed there really is no going back. and the tentative, shy, titillating moments of discovering that someone likes you--or better yet, wondering if someone likes you--are some of the sweetest times life has to offer, imo. for infj they don't come around very often, because we are so picky about who we let in.

you know what to do, if you've known her 9 years. follow your intuition, and be subtle. read her and find your moments. she's probably waiting.........

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
DO INFJs react well to bluntness? Should I tell her that I like her or just kiss her (that's really out of my comfort zone as a very shy guy)?

Not sure about other INFJs.. but personally, I have a lot of respect for those who can clearly express their thoughts/feelings. I'd just tell her if I were you.

Also, if you've been friends with her for this long, can you recall any instances where a platonic friend has made romantic advances toward her in the past? How did she respond? What could you expect, worst case scenario? And if the feelings are not returned, do you think you'd want to/be able to maintain a friendship with her afterwards?

Like your INFJ, I have more male friends than female; most of those friendships have spanned over a decade. If I developed a romantic interest in one of them, I wouldn't want to make it terribly obvious until I was certain [or close to it] that the feelings would be reciprocated, at least to some degree. I wouldn't want to make a friend uncomfortable just because of how I felt at the time, and risk potentially damaging the bond I already have with them.

So, I'll reiterate here.. depending on your individual dynamic with her, only you can determine the stakes & what's worth the risk here. Your best bet's to continue to be a friend at the core of however you approach this, and communicate as a close friend would, your feelings for her, and what you want. Just be sincere and open.

ldzpplin518

MBTI Type
ISTJ
it's a bit more confusing because she's so close to you. but i would think if she's already let you in as a good friend, the potential is overwhelmingly there for y'all to become lovers. if she likes you enough (which is rare for infj) to do so many things with you, and share her past with you, she could make that leap pretty easily, i'd guess, judging from how i would be.

I agree, since she and I are already such great friends, it is very difficult to get a good read on what she's feeling. I do know that I've gotten past many of her layers, because she has let me in and told me all about her past and other "secrets" in the past.

you know what to do, if you've known her 9 years. follow your intuition, and be subtle. read her and find your moments. she's probably waiting.........

I did finally say something to her today. We went running with some other people and at the end we broke away from the pack. We had some time to walk around the block while we waited for them, so I told her how I felt and asked her if she wanted to be more than friends. She said that it explained why I've been acting differently lately, but that ultimately "[she] didn't know. [She] didn't know what to say". Our friends caught up to us at this time and didn't talk anymore about it. We did, however, go for a cooldown walk afterward and she did walk next to me for a good chunk of that.

I don't know about all the other INFJs out there, but "I don't know" is a fairly typical response from her for just about everything from "what type of ice cream do you want?" to "what do you want to do tonight?".

Based on our history, is there anything that I should or shouldn't do over the course of the next couple of days? I mean, she's obviously taking some time to think about this. Is there anything I can do during this time besides just twiddle my thumbs?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on our history, is there anything that I should or shouldn't do over the course of the next couple of days? I mean, she's obviously taking some time to think about this. Is there anything I can do during this time besides just twiddle my thumbs?

I'd suggest giving her space so she can let this resonate.
Twiddle away. :D

And good job, seriously, regardless of the outcome. It's great that you stepped up and addressed this.. a lot of people just don't have the guts, and potentially miss out.

Good luck. :hug:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Take her out for dinner and spent the night together.

After that you'll even know if you like her !

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

gawd, entropie, you are such a ho! but infj usually have a hard time separating sex and love, so you'll prolly get the results you want..............

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1

Extroverts and their advice :laugh:

The fact that she even spent the night with you would be a pretty good indicator, at least!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
She and I (I'm an ISTJ) have been friends for about 9 years. I can't get a good read on her because we've been friends for so long. I'm probably just overanalyzing everything, as I'm wanton to do. Is there anything that I should be on the lookout for though?

We are training for the Chicago Marathon together, so we hang out all the time.

I'm driving myself up the wall with this one and would greatly appreciate any help.

Tell her how you feel and ask her how she feels.

Honestly, that is the best course of action for an ISTJ and really anyone. You don't even have to worry about how to be smooth about it, I think the most important thing for you right now is just to do it and get it over with. There is nothing you are gaining right now by drawing it out or putting it off.

The not so good news is that it may take you a couple tries (with different people) to get it down "right" and feel comfortable doing it, but I have an ISTJ friend and she is her own worst enemy.

She is surprisingly passive when it comes to her love life and in the past has waited way too long to make a move (or not made a move at all) and missed opportunities.

Don't be that person!

Go for it!

PS Just read the update - CONGRATULATIONS!!! Remember how good it felt to finally do it and remember that the next time you like someone. Unless she ends up being The One. ;)

In general, it's good to give people a bit of space after you tell them something like that and then to follow up. Don't let it just hang there, if you don't hear from her for a while try to talk to her on the phone or in person (not by email or text or voice message) but at the end of the day - if they want you they want you. "I don't know" is an acceptable TEMPORARY answer but eventually it means "No".

But GOOD LUCK! :D Let us know what happens!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tell her how you feel and ask her how she feels.

Honestly, that is the best course of action for an ISTJ and really anyone. You don't even have to worry about how to be smooth about it, I think the most important thing for you right now is just to do it and get it over with. There is nothing you are gaining right now by drawing it out or putting it off.

The not so good news is that it may take you a couple tries (with different people) to get it down "right" and feel comfortable doing it, but I have an ISTJ friend and she is her own worst enemy.

She is surprisingly passive when it comes to her love life and in the past has waited way too long to make a move (or not made a move at all) and missed opportunities.

Don't be that person!

Go for it!

meh. totally not my style at all. i usually agree with the czecze point of view and wisdom. i really prefer romantic things to stay on the down low for a while. i like the build up and subtlety and wonderment of it all. guys that would come right out and spill their guts aren't very attractive to me. yet i DO like honesty. just a different thing. being circumspect and feeling the underlying energy for me is so much more interesting and allows for a slower build of feeling than plopping it out on the kitchen table right in front of you.