• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] What does an unhealthy INFP look like?

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
I searched to see if this was already a thread and nothing came up. That's surprising to me. I know so many INFPs and a lot of them have problems so it's difficult to know if I'm typing them right in my head. What are some clues?

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
From what I understand they'd be isolated and completely overwhelmed by emotion to the point of not being able to deal with stress of any kind. Perhaps with standards for relationships that are far too high and unreasonable, preventing them from ever having one and becoming the quintessential cat lady.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Me! :wacko: :crazy:

=^.^=

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Whine.jpg

myspace-emo-comments-19.jpg

LOL.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. :laugh:

As stress increases, 'learned behaviour' tends to give way to the natural style, so the INFP will behave more according to type when under greater stress. For example, in a crisis, the INFP might:

* concentrate only on what the INFP sees as important
* work alone if possible
* contribute creative ideas, but overlook current realities
* fail to consider the cost implications
* be overly idealistic
* appear out of touch, perhaps not fully recognising current realities, and disregarding those they find unacceptable
* be stubborn over issues the group did not anticipate being a problem
* spend too much time thinking
* avoid conflict and not giving forthright criticism when it is needed
* focus so much on interpersonal issues that cost and other impersonal considerations are not adequately discussed

Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INFP's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESTJ. Example characteristics are:

* being very critical and find fault with almost everything
* doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
* becoming bossy or domineering and ignoring others' feelings
* being pedantic about unimportant details

This is an actual list of traits I've found. Seems fairly accurate.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
* concentrate only on what the INFP sees as important
* work alone if possible
* spend too much time thinking
* being very critical and find fault with almost everything
* doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising - eating
* becoming bossy or domineering and ignoring others' feelings
* being pedantic about unimportant details

Yeah, I'm actually not a clean bill of health... LOL

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
From what I understand they'd be isolated and completely overwhelmed by emotion to the point of not being able to deal with stress of any kind. Perhaps with standards for relationships that are far too high and unreasonable, preventing them from ever having one and becoming the quintessential cat lady.

Yeah, pretty much what I've seen. I don't know about "any kind" of stress, but not being able to deal with stress well at all. Feeling threatened and/or disappearing from situations that might cause them to have to reevaluate their "standards" and "beliefs."

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They'd likely be any of the following: insanely moody, difficult or impossible to reason with, extremely defensive & sensitive, have very poor communication & social skills, self-absorbed, cynical, live in a filthy mess of chaos, be obsessed with minor details they've blown out of proportion, passive-aggressive, have an explosive temper (maybe even violent), a major detachment from reality, seem confused & lost in life, be withdrawn, rebellious, depressed, have an inferiority complex, seem arrogant as a defense, and may isolate themselves from people. There might be substance abuse also.

Besides the crazy cat lady, there's also the self-absorbed, reclusive, miserable artist stereotype for unhealthy INFPs (unlike the ISFP who is romanticized for this, the INFP is outcast). Another stereotype might be the incoherent hippy who lives in a pigsty and gives out philosophical advice to teenagers. Then there's the overly passive INFP who puts up with other people's abuse and seethes internally, but likely they explode and become one of the above stereotypes, or wilt into the crazy cat lady.

However, please keep in mind that what may seem like "problems" in an INFP to an ESFP may not be problems at all. Much of the natural INFP behavior and perspective goes against the mainstream flow of society, but that doesn't make it unhealthy.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
They'd likely be any of the following: insanely moody, difficult or impossible to reason with, extremely defensive & sensitive, have very poor communication & social skills, self-absorbed, cynical, live in a filthy mess of chaos, be obsessed with minor details they've blown out of proportion, passive-aggressive, have an explosive temper (maybe even violent), a major detachment from reality, seem confused & lost in life, be withdrawn, rebellious, depressed, have an inferiority complex, seem arrogant as a defense, and may isolate themselves from people. There might be substance abuse also.

Besides the crazy cat lady, there's also the self-absorbed, reclusive, miserable artist stereotype for unhealthy INFPs (unlike the ISFP who is romanticized for this, the INFP is outcast). Another stereotype might be the incoherent hippy who lives in a pigsty and gives out philosophical advice to teenagers. Then there's the overly passive INFP who puts up with other people's abuse and seethes internally, but likely they explode and become one of the above stereotypes, or wilt into the crazy cat lady.

However, please keep in mind that what may seem like "problems" in an INFP to an ESFP may not be problems at all. Much of the natural INFP behavior and perspective goes against the mainstream flow of society, but that doesn't make it unhealthy.

I second this.
Overall, unhealthy INFPs are just VERY, VERY oversensitive. I was very withdrawn and lonely as well.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Are there many INFP's that think they are healthy?

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I think that I am healthy now. I've become a lot more balanced than I was when I was younger. I used to be VERY unhealthy.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What do you see as the difference?

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
What do you see as the difference?

I'm able to balance my emotions out with logic. In other words, I have more control over what I'm feeling, instead of letting myself fall into a downward spiral. I also have less of a tendancy to fall apart in the first place. Things don't affect me as strongly and I'm able to bounce back from bad situations. I'm less dependent on people. I'm less neurotic and more confident in myself. My social skills have improved and I'm a lot more outgoing. Those are the main things, I believe.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I think that unhealthy INFPs can vary depending on their Enneagram (because I believe than EnType matters just as much as MBTI type, if not more in certain cases). The INFP type seems to be mostly EnType Four, though. With that type, they become so embroiled in their own feeling that they don't even take them objectively. They become controlled by it and tend to withdraw, trying to break away from the emotions which have become menacing. This can lead to abuse like alcohol or even food abuse. A better description of unhealthy/healthy fours can be found here

All of that was theoretical stuff. I don't have enough good experience to be of any concrete help. But anyway, Coeur described it very well AND he's an experienced INFP to boot!

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think that unhealthy INFPs can vary depending on their Enneagram (because I believe than EnType matters just as much as MBTI type, if not more in certain cases). The INFP type seems to be mostly EnType Four, though. With that type, they become so embroiled in their own feeling that they don't even take them objectively. They become controlled by it and tend to withdraw, trying to break away from the emotions which have become menacing. This can lead to abuse like alcohol or even food abuse. A better description of unhealthy/healthy fours can be found here

All of that was theoretical stuff. I don't have enough good experience to be of any concrete help. But anyway, Coeur described it very well AND he's an experienced INFP to boot!

That sounds about right, although I've never engaged in substance abuse. I'm a 4w5.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

:hi:

I'm able to balance my emotions out with logic. In other words, I have more control over what I'm feeling, instead of letting myself fall into a downward spiral. I also have less of a tendancy to fall apart in the first place. Things don't affect me as strongly and I'm able to bounce back from bad situations. I'm less dependent on people. I'm less neurotic and more confident in myself. My social skills have improved and I'm a lot more outgoing. Those are the main things, I believe.

I relate to this fully. Healthy INFPs FTW. :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

INFPs tend to be very hard on themselves, don't give themselves much credit, and are often perfectionists. Even if they feel mostly healthy, they probably see tons of room for self-improvement, and they may tend to dwell on where they lack over the positive side.

I actually feel that no one is truly "healthy" anyway, but there are simply degrees of unhealthiness. If the negative tendencies of the INFP personality interfere with functioning in life and gaining some kind of satisfaction and happiness, then that's when it's a big problem.