• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] Tertiary Te

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you tell me something if it is not a secret: In which situations do you realize that you have too little Te in yourself ?

I mostly experience Te as a nuissance, really. It's effort that I have to put in stuff I don't really wanna go through. Often I have a bunch of ideas (Ne), which feel right (Fi), but categorizing them and classifying them or executing them (Te) would a) mean I have to stop Ne-ing, which is way too fun and b) would limit the way I can use those ideas coz you can only categorize in a certain way (alfabetically, genre, etc etc) which means that the perfect feel (Fi) gets compromised and the associations taht I cannot classify get lost (Ne). I'm just unwilling to do that and rather keep them floating about with a little reminder (Si?) for when the opportunity strikes.

The moments I do notice that it's lacking, is when I'm pressured and unable to use Fi as filter for Ne. I'm literally unable to decide at that point and use Te to break the gridlock. Also when I am overloaded with ideas and I have no clue as to how to fit them all together and make them realistic. I royally suck at that so I turn to my So :blush:

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
But, how do you know? And what's the point?
How do I know? Intuition :D

The point is usually just entertainment. I enjoy knowing motivations, either because it's fun to manipulate someone else based on them or because the information is just interesting on its own-- kinda like how it's cool to hear a crazy story about someone you don't know. It doesn't affect you, but hey, it's there!

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I mostly experience Te as a nuissance, really. It's effort that I have to put in stuff I don't really wanna go through. Often I have a bunch of ideas (Ne), which feel right (Fi), but categorizing them and classifying them or executing them (Te) would a) mean I have to stop Ne-ing, which is way too fun and b) would limit the way I can use those ideas coz you can only categorize in a certain way (alfabetically, genre, etc etc) which means that the perfect feel (Fi) gets compromised and the associations taht I cannot classify get lost (Ne). I'm just unwilling to do that and rather keep them floating about with a little reminder (Si?) for when the opportunity strikes.

The moments I do notice that it's lacking, is when I'm pressured and unable to use Fi as filter for Ne. I'm literally unable to decide at that point and use Te to break the gridlock. Also when I am overloaded with ideas and I have no clue as to how to fit them all together and make them realistic. I royally suck at that so I turn to my So :blush:

Well, this is a typical FP logic. But you are overlooking one thing about Te which that imbracing your Te will change who your are. Also it will change how you think about things. The main thing is that Te usually can be linked with faith into your own desicions. Which is because they are better if you have developed Te. Which is very useful trait in life.

You are right if you say that you will lose some of your values in the process of developing Te. But you will gain another set of them if you develop your Te a little bit.
So it is not likely that you or any other FP will fall into a depression because of this. Which is because you are changing things at their root. But you will still have a fair a mount of Fi to make your life nice/what you want. Because nothing will change by a large degree.

FPs look at this from more practical side which is can be summarized in question " Do you really want to spend the rest of your life hidding from Te ?" The sooner you realize that you need a certain minimum of Te always in your life the better.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No offense but that's ironic coming from you :D

I do appreciate your insights though :)

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
aw, Antisocial... I agree with you, but go easy on 'em ;)

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
It's ok, we seem more fragile than we are ;) :hug:

:shocking: Are you kidding me?! I live with Tiny Army! NFs are freaking vicious!

It's also true that you attract more flies with honey... :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:shocking: Are you kidding me?! I live with Tiny Army! NFs are freaking vicious!

My condolences :hug: :D

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
I could say many things but instead I will just ask you " What makes you think that this is ironic if it comes from me? "

Eh, that's obvious, isn't it?

Fe and Te are parallel rational judging functions and evidently equally respectable and potent. And you reportedly don't have much Fe yourself, so... yeah, the irony was quite thick...
This lack of Fe (or F in general) doesn't make your insights in the useful employment of Te any less true or helpful of course. Please, tell more about the mature use of Te, I'd really like to know how to recognize mature vs. immature use of Te in my attempts to develop it further.

But while we ENFPs, including Amargith, have a fair chance to develop better use of tertiary Te (under mature, well-skilled Ne-Fi supervision obviously), I doubt INTJs have much chance with Fe before the six functions above your Fe have been duely developed and integrated. (You'll be great at Fe when you're 80, AO!)

Developing your Fi on the other hand would be likely to yield great results in your life, being right there in your third slot of cognitive tools available. Get a bit familiar with it, and slowly you'll see how it can sometimes support Ni-Te agendas with refining your communication, feel new satisfaction in your actions and support a deep sense of what's valuable and what's delusional to be involved in. Or perhaps you're still too young for this process to be pressingly necessary. You are quite young, right AO?

(BTW, do we have here one more case of an INTJ asking questions he already knows the answer to? Just for the noble purpose of progression of insights through conversation of course, I'm aware of that. ;) And appreciate it too, believe it or not!)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Eh, that's obvious, isn't it?

Fe and Te are parallel rational judging functions and evidently equally respectable and potent. And you reportedly don't have much Fe yourself, so... yeah, the irony was quite thick...
This lack of Fe (or F in general) doesn't make your insights in the useful employment of Te any less true or helpful of course. Please, tell more about the mature use of Te, I'd really like to know how to recognize mature vs. immature use of Te in my attempts to develop it further.

But while we ENFPs, including Amargith, have a fair chance to develop better use of tertiary Te (under mature, well-skilled Ne-Fi supervision obviously), I doubt INTJs have much chance with Fe before the six functions above your Fe have been duely developed and integrated. (You'll be great at Fe when you're 80, AO!)

Developing your Fi on the other hand would be likely to yield great results in your life, being right there in your third slot of cognitive tools available. Get a bit familiar with it, and slowly you'll see how it can sometimes support Ni-Te agendas with refining your communication, feel new satisfaction in your actions and support a deep sense of what's valuable and what's delusional to be involved in. Or perhaps you're still too young for this process to be pressingly necessary. You are quite young, right AO?

(BTW, do we have here one more case of an INTJ asking questions he already knows the answer to? Just for the noble purpose of progression of insights through conversation of course, I'm aware of that. ;) And appreciate it too, believe it or not!)

Of course that the answer is obvious. It is just that I was wondering what will get as answer.

By the book Fe should be my 6th function but according to function test it is the least developed function and I agree with this.
I am in mid 20s if you think that is young then OK of you don't then once again it is Ok.

What exactly do you mean by mature/immature use of Te ?

lamp

Te use feels very 'foggy' to me: I do not feel I consciously avoid using it, but I basically feel it is unreliable. I often make simple mistakes or run into a brick wall while trying to use it. Ne illuminates my options and Fi helps me decide what I want, and I use Te to visualize how I can attain goals or solve problems. Often, I will explain my situation and how I am acting and someone will say quickly "why dont you _______?" and my view of the situation will become much clearer.

So to answer AO: basically any time I am chewing away at something grounded in reality :]

sculpting

No ofence but working on that project does not have much to do with this.
But you are right that is Te + (something else)

What I am saying is that at the moment you lost you patience Te wasn't dominant function in the air anymore.

Ne plus Te means you see many potential solutions and you want them all RIGHT FUCKING NOW! I'm just saying....:) I dont think feeling was involved here in either Fe or Fi forms.

Literal best of both worlds won't ever happen. Theory says the functions aren't equal in strength and maturity and are not equally consciously accessible. Literally, says theory, one just doesn't control tertiary functions as well as one can control auxiliaries. They require more mental energy to call up, and most importantly the results are suspect if the dominant and auxiliary functions are not properly engaged first.

This makes sense. If I use Te alone or in the spur of the moment to work with Ne it is pretty bitchy. If I use Te to push forward an long term goal that is actually motivated by Ne-Fi it is much more focused, not destructive and productive. It likely functions more like an ENTJ but in short spurts. I can go head to head with an ENTJ in these situations to fight for the Fi ideal.

However on the converse I feel like Te is under better control for me than Fi. Fi comes with lots of raw power but it's not refined and gets into all types of trouble. Te may not have the same strength and takes more energy to use, but it much easier for me to control and use. It is still an axe to an ENTJs scalpel though.

:)

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
However on the converse I feel like Te is under better control for me than Fi. Fi comes with lots of raw power but it's not refined and gets into all types of trouble. Te may not have the same strength and takes more energy to use, but it much easier for me to control and use.

In an extroverted setting it probably is easier to use, also potentially a lot more fun, it being your relief function.

But from your description, it's still Fi that's the big gun, the one that's got more potential for doing things for you. It needs you to be introverting sometimes, but there it is.

I suspect of tertiary functions in general that they're used a lot more than people think they are.

(Hm, I'm feeling a little pompous today, particularly in this thread, what's up with that?)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're in teacher mode. It's ok, don't sweat it :D

Tiny: do you ever that feeling where you might as well not get started on it with Te as it cannot possibly live up to the expectations of both Ne and Fi? I mean, Ne just runs of the tracks of reality sometimes and Fi demands perfection in inner harmony and the ideal situation, I find. Te just isn't up for the task imo, and often I rather dream than get started as getting started means disappointement. Dreaming about it allows for the illusion that you're still able to make this dream and the good vibes you get from it, come true :blush:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Te use feels very 'foggy' to me: I do not feel I consciously avoid using it, but I basically feel it is unreliable. I often make simple mistakes or run into a brick wall while trying to use it. Ne illuminates my options and Fi helps me decide what I want, and I use Te to visualize how I can attain goals or solve problems. Often, I will explain my situation and how I am acting and someone will say quickly "why dont you _______?" and my view of the situation will become much clearer.

So to answer AO: basically any time I am chewing away at something grounded in reality :]

:yes:

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
You're in teacher mode. It's ok, don't sweat it :D

Tiny: do you ever that feeling where you might as well not get started on it with Te as it cannot possibly live up to the expectations of both Ne and Fi? I mean, Ne just runs of the tracks of reality sometimes and Fi demands perfection in inner harmony and the ideal situation, I find. Te just isn't up for the task imo, and often I rather dream than get started as getting started means disappointement. Dreaming about it allows for the illusion that you're still able to make this dream and the good vibes you get from it, come true :blush:

Oh, my, this is too true for comfort! :doh: :cry: The Best is the enemy of the Good and all that. Plus the general NP resistance against boring chores is not helping at all.
How is it that we can see it while it's happening, but from there to actually act accordingly seems just a gigantic task? To me, at least. Have you found efficient ways to force yourself beyond this stage?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm afraid of using it. Really am. I..got encouraged to do so last week and was reminded of why it was I only use it when not around people and even then. It makes me feel like an elephant in a china cabinet around people. And the worst part is, that if I completely embrace it, I don't realize I was said elephant untill later on :doh:

Is this just because I have no practice? Do you gain more refined control over it if you just bite the bullet? Or is this because it's a tertiary function and I'll just have to live with it? I absolutely love Te in NTJs, and admire the way they wield it. I must look like such an amateur to them :blush:

Um..
I don't think Te means that you need to be a bossy loud- mouth. (Thinks about some Te doms.. well, maybe it does :doh:)

Well for me tertiary Te is just about being efficient, a problem solver, go-getter. Time schedules, organizing things. You don't have to yell about it and knock people down along the way. I think us efp's can do Te in a more relaxed and people oriented way. You might be using it without even realizing yet.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Ne plus Te means you see many potential solutions and you want them all RIGHT FUCKING NOW! I'm just saying....:) I dont think feeling was involved here in either Fe or Fi forms.

This is what I was talking about. What you have said is a good example of underdeveloped Te. Since every skilled Te user knows that he/she can't have them all at the same time even if intuituon can comprehend how would that look like.