• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJ's: Not Manipulative.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
My type does not manipulate. ENFJ just understands how his actions speak.

Discuss.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't find ENFJs to be manipulative. I do find them to be shameless flirts though :D

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The ENFJ's I know in person, I've never considered any of them to be manipulative. Quite the opposite in fact. "What would you like to do?" "What about doing___?" "Does __ sound good to you?" etc

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Come to think of it, occasionally they will say something on purpose to get a rise out of someone (er, me), but it's never malicious, just teasing. I suppose they know what buttons to push then....

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Come to think of it, occasionally they will say something on purpose to get a rise out of someone (er, me), but it's never malicious, just teasing. I suppose they know what buttons to push then....
Exactly. And that's why our form of going after what we want can get confused with manipulation.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You can manipulate. Why don't you?
Because we understand how such action would speak lol.

Personally, it would get in the way of my other goals. Friendship, unity, harmony, etc. Also because it seems trying is by definition trying too hard when it comes to this subject. You don't impose your understanding onto interpersonal communication, instead we understand by observation, reception, perception. I observe interpersonal communication much as I would observe a chemical reaction in a test tube, and I feel that personal interference and intervention pollutes the purity of the process.

Compare it to how someone involved in a high-stakes interpersonal confrontation, say an ultimatum from a significant other, takes a step back from the situation. Know what I mean?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm...the two ENFJ's I know can be very manipulative. Maybe they don't see it as being manipulative. Or maybe they aren't very mature ENFJ's. Who knows. But let's just say the words "evil puppet master" has been used to describe one of these ENFJ's...and that term was used by the ENFJ's closest friend!

I've noticed that the two that I know have used others to their own gain. Or have twisted the words of others to start conflicts (possibly) to ingratiate one person closer to the ENFJ.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Let me ask the question. You can manipulate, why would you?

You refer perhaps to the phenomenal interpersonal skills INTJs are famous for?

Personally, it would get in the way of my other goals. Friendship, unity, harmony, etc. Also because it seems trying is by definition trying too hard when it comes to this subject. You don't impose your understanding onto interpersonal communication, instead we understand by observation, reception, perception. I observe interpersonal communication much as I would observe a chemical reaction in a test tube, and I feel that personal interference and intervention pollutes the purity of the process.

:nice: Sounds cool.

Where does leadership fit into this?

(I am really trying to not come off all knee-jerky about these questions--genuinely curious.)

Compare it to how someone involved in a high-stakes interpersonal confrontation, say an ultimatum from a significant other, takes a step back from the situation. Know what I mean?

Dude, seriously, that'd be like interpersonal communication or something.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Kalach, don't even. NTs and INTJs as well are extremely good at learning what I call 'pressure points' if they put their mind to it. "If I push here and pull there and insinuate this then..voila, the reaction I was hoping to get out of this person!"

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Kalach, don't even. NTs and INTJs as well are extremely good at learning what I call 'pressure points' if they put their mind to it. "If I push here and pull there and insinuate this then..voila, the reaction I was hoping to get out of this person!"

Really? The dead eyes aren't a giveaway?

I shall have to study up.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What is your definition of manipulative (Brendan) ?

I don't know what manipulative means , but I think I recognize the twisting of words MDP2525 mentioned in the ENFJs I know. Also a slight predisposition for double-standards maybe.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Setting aside for the moment the fact that declaring that your entire type doesn't do something is pretty questionable, I'll respond to your actual point.

I think what you mean is that ENFJs don't *intend* it as manipulation the way ENTJs do. You legitimately see yourselves as helping others/making a positive difference in most situations, and usually you are. So people tend to really like you, and for good reason.

But ENFJs can easily come off as manipulative to other types who don't really understand your thought process/reasoning for your actions. And they may never understand--but the fact is ExxJ types tend to be considered more manipulative, simply because they're outwardly involved with the outside world in a goal-oriented and methodical manner. Dominant Te/Fe gives the impression of manipulation, generally to strong P types who don't take perceived threats to their freedom lightly.

EJ: When are you going back to school?
IP: I dunno, whenever the time feels right.
EJ: You should really make a plan for getting your life together...it would help you in so many ways!
IP: *thinks: "Man, this guy is really manipulative!"* Umm yeah...thanks.

Your good intentions don't always come off the way you think they do.

By the way, strong F types in general can have a tendency to take things too personally. Your tone sounds as if you've taken this accusation rather personally yourself, declaring outright that you, and in fact all ENFJs, are not manipulative instead of asking others for more information to determine why this perception exists--textbook J. Perhaps try actively conditioning yourself not to jump to conclusions--keep your options open. Try to give your auxiliary Ni more time to compete with dominant Fe. This will help Ps stop perceiving you as manipulative.

But hey, look on the bright side. Of the four ExxJ types, you're probably perceived as the least manipulative. There's always that.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some aren't. Some are. They know how to get a person to do just what they want, and they know it. Before the person even understands what's going on, they have been accused of saying and doing things they had no idea of. And I wish you luck if a particularly manipulative ENFJ decides that you are the "enemy." Such a title is usually bestowed by snubbing the ENFJ, knowingly or unknowingly. When you have become the "enemy," they will turn all of your friends against you, and even some of your family if need be. They will blame you of doing all the evil things they are guilty of, plus more.

Unfortunately the manipulative ENFJs make it hard for the other ENFJs because people notice a pattern and begin to believe they are all that way.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I know one male ENFJ. He's very much a leader. And he is quite manipulative, but not in a malicious way (as mentioned) and I don't think he intends it as such. He's quite well meaning about it. He has given me a push or two in the right direction. At the same time my guard is almost always up around him because I never know when he's going to be manipulative. If he sees there's something I'm not doing he tries to change it to make me a better person. What he doesn't realize sometimes is that there is usually a reason I'm not doing that. I already do way too much as it is, I'm not a robot.

Typically I just have to come out and say why I'm not doing said thing to improve myself. And usually he'll understand then. Sometimes it hurts his feelings. It's the only way I've found around it thus far.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Most types can be manipulative, the difference is in how they do it. NTPs will spin a web in which the only outcome that is "logical" is the one they present and must be followed, and if it isn't, that outcome isn't "logical" and therefore not what should be done. FJs tend to load questions or situations with emotional content so if you pick the "wrong" answer, you "look bad" and can get kinda trapped which can appear to be manipulation.

The reason ENFJs can get labeled as manipulators could be because this forum has a large representation of NTP Fe-tards.

Anthony

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Some aren't. Some are. They know how to get a person to do just what they want, and they know it. Before the person even understands what's going on, they have been accused of saying and doing things they had no idea of. And I wish you luck if a particularly manipulative ENFJ decides that you are the "enemy." Such a title is usually bestowed by snubbing the ENFJ, knowingly or unknowingly. When you have become the "enemy," they will turn all of your friends against you, and even some of your family if need be. They will blame you of doing all the evil things they are guilty of, plus more.

Unfortunately the manipulative ENFJs make it hard for the other ENFJs because people notice a pattern and begin to believe they are all that way.

I did that on accident once.

ENFJ's have to be especially careful what signals they send out. I've always been respected in whatever social circles I've been in. When I give an opinion on something, people listen.

I was thirteen or fourteen and my best friend since first grade was being insufferable at a large get-together at my house. Instead of getting angry or talking to him about it like I now would, I didn't want to deal with him at the time and just threw him out of my house.

I meant to get rid of him and deal with his antics later. However, it came across to everyone there as, "I'm no longer vouching for you. I'm done and I wash my hands of you. Now get out of my house and don't come back."

I didn't realize at the time that people were willing to lose him as a friend to keep me as one. I didn't realize that throwing him out of my house would force people to choose between us. (That was really wordy, but I don't know how else to put it.)

Overnight he went from my right hand man to exiled as literally everyone took my side. Teenagers are cannibals. He was pretty much eaten alive the rest of that summer. It was surreal seeing the reasons and lengths people took trying to "ingratiate" themselves with me.

Long story short, I cooled off and we later reconciled.

I now only use my powers for good, I promise!

Edit- To address the topic, I don't consider myself manipulative. Even in the above story, I wasn't the conniving or mercurial in any sense. I had been crossed and got mad. Sure, in retrospect I handled it poorly and took it too far but, I was young and stupid and I haven't done anything similar ever since. I learned my lesson and now avoid ultimatums all together.

Last edited:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most types can be manipulative, the difference is in how they do it. NTPs will spin a web in which the only outcome that is "logical" is the one they present and must be followed, and if it isn't, that outcome isn't "logical" and therefore not what should be done. FJs tend to load questions or situations with emotional content so if you pick the "wrong" answer, you "look bad" and can get kinda trapped which can appear to be manipulation.

The reason ENFJs can get labeled as manipulators could be because this forum has a large representation of NTP Fe-tards.

I'll assume you have never been in close proximity with a particularly manipulative ENFJ. NTP logic twisting is not in the same league as ENFJ subterfuge and subtle trickery. ENFJs' skills lie with people and feelings, and they know how to manipulate either or both, to their own aims. They know how to gloss over the truth and present it in an altered form that appears to be correct to those who are not keen enough to pick up on it. They are naturally dramatic and speak with conviction; they'll get under your skin to provoke an emotional reaction. People buy what they sell -- hook, line, and sinker. Those that suspect something is going on can't point it out logically so their claims look to have little veracity. All the facts and logical explanations in the world won't matter. Even the "enemy" may begin to believe them.

This may seem like an exaggeration, but I assure you, it is not.

An ENFJ did this to an INTP friend of mine, and he is still trying to pick up the pieces more than a year later. And I have at least a few ENFJs in my immediate family, so I know how they get when unhealthy.

I now only use my powers for good, I promise!

That's not what I meant. I meant consciously turning other people against a person, people, or thing.