• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] specific examples Te vs. Ti

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
So-lacking Fe utterly-I always have the crazy ass yard.

In michigan I had this 150 long front yard and this tiny 900 sq ft house.

I tore up the grass and planted fifteen tomato plants in the front yard. I then planted four more in an old wheelbarrow. It was a tomato forest and eventually the plants were wider than the front of the house. All around the house were plants and random patches of petunias. I also put a rock garden in the back and even more tomatoes there.

I also built my own christmas lawn animals but that is a whole other story.

Hey, I think about cleaning my shit up but that's as far as it goes because I always forget and get distracted. Ne is stronger than Fi/Te or Ti/Fe combined, in our case.

(what lawn animals and what were they made of?)

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Wow @ Ne-monster. That yard really does scream N+Fi.

I say N+Fi rather than Fi because my ISFP grandmother's attachment to certain plants can be outweighed by her desire for practical application. Her yard is stunning fwiw. N/Fi is at a disadvantage with S/Fi here.

sculpting

Hey, I think about cleaning my shit up but that's as far as it goes because I always forget and get distracted. Ne is stronger than Fi/Te or Ti/Fe combined, in our case.

(what lawn animals and what were they made of?)

Im sorry I cant share that information...They were christmas light up lawn animals though-like the wire ones with lights all wrapped around them...

I took one look at this and got dizzy, confused and angry.

Um, yeah, me too honestly. It, combined with my Te test results, tells me that just becuase you use a function often, does not mean you use a function well, like a scalpel. ESTJs, ISTJs make good project managers. My ENTP doies this crap everyday but she does this so she can break, modify, and reforge the system, rather than any fun from the actual plan itself.

^Wow @ Ne-monster. That yard really does scream N+Fi.

I say N+Fi rather than Fi because my ISFP grandmother's attachment to certain plants can be outweighed by her desire for practical application. Her yard is stunning fwiw. N/Fi is at a disadvantage with S/Fi here.

yup. I agree. another N/Fi sign are prolific concrete animals living in the front yard. Not me on that one. I could totally see Se/Fi in the here and now making it beautiful, where Ne/Fi can only think about the potential of what it could be. Always made me happy though!

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So-lacking Fe utterly-I always have the crazy ass yard.

In michigan I had this 150 long front yard and this tiny 900 sq ft house.

I tore up the grass and planted fifteen tomato plants in the front yard. I then planted four more in an old wheelbarrow. It was a tomato forest and eventually the plants were wider than the front of the house. All around the house were plants and random patches of petunias. I also put a rock garden in the back and even more tomatoes there.

I also built my own christmas lawn animals but that is a whole other story.
:rofl1:

I've never had a chance to design a garden myself, but I envision a garden filled with all kinds of colorful flowers, a very small pathway in between all the flowers, and a cherry blossom forest arching over it, that blocks out all the light, eventually killing all the flowers.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Honestly, if Mother, for whatever non-Te (obviously) reason insisted that I do the landscaping, the first thing I'd do is go and stand in the yard. Nothing could be done without first having a sense of "the place".

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is from a book I have (Understanding Yourself And Others: An Introduction to the Personality Type Code by Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi)

Scenario: How did you pick out what you wore today? (Go about it yourself and take note of how you decided... it's fun to recognize how closely the processes go with your function order)

Information-Accessing Processes -- Perception

Se: Experiencing the immediate context; taking action in the physical world; noticing changes and opportunities for action; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; Recognizing "what is." Noticing what was available, trying on different items, and seeing how they look.

Si: Reviewing past experiences; "what is" evoking "what was"; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been. Remembering the last time you wore a particular item or the last time you were at a similar event-- maybe even remembering how you felt then.

Ne: Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change "what is" for "what could possibly be"; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts. Noticing possible meanings of what you might wear: "Wearing this might communicate..."

Ni: Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing "what will be"; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols. Envisioning yourself in an outfit or maybe envisioning yourself in a certain way.

Organizing-Evaluating Processes-- Judgment

Te: Segmenting; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not. Sorting out different colors and styles; thinking about the consequences, as in "Since I have to stand all day..."

Ti:
Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and weather something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision. Analyzing your options using principles like comfort or "Red is a power color."

Fe: Connecting;
considering others and the group--organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting to and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others. Considering what would be appropriate for the situation: "one should or shouldn't wear..." or "People will think..."

Fi: Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for. Evaluating whether you like an outfit or not: "This outfit suits me and feels right."

For instance... when I did this test, my first thought was: "Okay, well I'm not doing a whole lot today and not seeing a whole lot of people so I won't wear any of my favorite clothes and I want to be comfortable." I then began walking to my closet thinking "Comfort. Comfort. Goin' for comfortable." Then I stepped into my closet and immediately zeroed in on the big comfy t-shirts I had available to me. Next, I always wear jeans. I like envisioning myself as a laid-back, but trendy jeans and cool t-shirt kinda person (at least on my "chill" days...)... so I went with my super mario bros. tee and my favorite comfy jeans. Lastly, I recalled I was meeting up with my boyfriend for lunch and one of his co-workers -might- come... Was what I chose appropriate? I didn't want his co-worker thinking I was sloppy, or something of the sort. Yep... Ti > Se > Ni > Fe

Notice how easy it is to mix functions up according to your unique order function. When I first read Te, I thought... wait... I did that didn't I? Then I read Ti... and there was "analyzing options according to principles like comfort" right off the bat. I could go on, and on... but I think y'all get the gist :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
StephMC, that's great stuff. I highly identify with your process of deciding, though there are slight differences. Very interesting. For me, it's like this:

My immediate criteria is to select based on comfort. So in my mind I think of all of the outfits that I know are most comfortable. Then, I consider the kinds of things I'll be doing during the day, and who I can expect to be seeing me, and I choose the outfit that is most appropriate. For instance, I won't wear my comfortable hoodie if I'll be teaching a class, as it could say a lot about my professionalism and organization. Or, I won't wear something that I just wore a couple of days earlier, because it could signify that I'm lazy, poor, or sloppy. But if no one important will be seeing me, I wear whatever the hell I want that's most comfortable, even if I wore it just the day before. If important people will be seeing me, then from among my remaining outfit options, I choose the one that looks best at the moment (taking into account the type of day and lighting conditions).

Odd order of function usage. Seems like Ti - Fe - Ne - Se. My Fe is way up there when it comes to dressing. I admit that on some days I even let Fe override other considerations.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's a great post indeed. According to this, my dressing would go Fi - Ne - Ni -Si -Se. Fi is definitely the main decider though. It only makes sense to me to wear what I think looks good on me and what feels right.

I've also noticed that Fi is the only function that Firefox' spell check underlines with that damned red line.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Can someone think of a senario and discuss how someone with Te would handle the problem and how someone with Ti would look at it.

You almost answer the question in the way you word it. Te handles problems (or ignores them if they seemingly cannot be handled (and ignores issues that are not deemed to be problems about which something should be done!)), Ti simply looks at issues (regardless of whether they pose problems about which something should be done).

Check out this thread for an illustrative example of miscommunication between a Ti and a Te dominant. Allow me to quote myself in that thread:

Your post describes a core TP/TJ dynamic in my experience:

A TP will often criticize something simply in order to state that that is how they see it and see whether the other person agrees. If they meet disagreement and it is argued satisfactorily, then they learn something; if they meet agreement, then they bond :)yes:) with the other person over the shared judgment. A TJ, on the other hand, generally criticizes something in order to change it. We are more interested in the expediency of the result than we are in the integrity of the process, and unless we are careful not to project this bottom line mentality onto others, we all too easily read a nonexistent purposefulness into the criticism of a TP.

Incidentally, this answer is coming from a very Te point of view; hopefully a Ti user has provided or will provide their perspective.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
You almost answer the question in the way you word it. Te handles problems (or ignores them if they seemingly cannot be handled (and ignores issues that are not deemed to be problems about which something should be done!)), Ti simply looks at issues (regardless of whether they pose problems about which something should be done).

By saying this, is it right to say that Ti dominates do not take action?

natalia93

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
[MENTION=5662]mwv6r[/MENTION] Your take on the differences is what I've come to understand as how they are typically explained.

Someone explained how it is more relevant to how the functions interact with other functions within the type, so it is hard to look at the functions on their own in terms of what they would look like or sound like in a communication. This makes sense, but I still somewhat struggle to differentiate which one I even am more apt to use and what it looks like when I use my Ti (which is supposed to be my dominant).

SO, as a fellow INFJ, what does your Ti use in particular look like? Are you able to tell when you use it and if it is indeed more prominent than Te?

Of course I'd like to hear other people's thoughts and input as well.