• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP's and acting?

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
Do you think INFP's make good actors?

I'm an INFP and I love Drama, and intend to audition for an acting course at the end of school, and hopefully get employed on stage afterwards.

What advantages does the INFP type have in acting? What about disadvantages? And overall is it a good choice for them? Your opinion please!

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hope all the best for you in your endeavors.

Acting is a strange thing. With speeches and presentations and whatnot, I feel extremely uncomfortable in front of other people and I usually just mess up big time.
However, with acting, it really isn't the case. Only time I may feel uncomfortable in that situation, is before and in between the plays, practicing lines and being guided. Once on stage, I feel comfortable. I love improvising especially. :D
I haven't done any professional acting or anything, but some people have told me that I should. It is not very high on my list of potential career paths though.

I think INFPs would generally be able to portray very believable characters, or rather, becoming the characters. :)
If you love drama, then definitely go for it. When you put your heart and mind to it, there's really nothing stopping you.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any type can make a good actor. It doesn't matter what you are.

I personally excelled in drama class, but I didn't really take it any farther than that (I didn't want to). I found that it helped me be more vocal in general and speak up more in social situations.

G

Glycerine

Do what you want. Don't let type stop you. If you have a passion for it, then go for it. Yes, INFPs can make wonderful actors. Look at Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder. Johnny Depp, especially, is very versatile and definitely knows how to make his characters convincing.

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
I hope all the best for you in your endeavors.

Acting is a strange thing. With speeches and presentations and whatnot, I feel extremely uncomfortable in front of other people and I usually just mess up big time.
However, with acting, it really isn't the case.

Yeah, same here. It's funny- when you're acting I've found you can kind of hide behind the character, unlike public speaking, where it's just YOU, being judged and under pressure. I guess I love acting because it's my one way to be the centre of attention without feeling personally self conscious about it!

Any type can make a good actor. It doesn't matter what you are.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest there. I started to think that it was a job made for a Sensor or an Extravert for some reason..

Do what you want. Don't let type stop you. If you have a passion for it, then go for it. Yes, INFPs can make wonderful actors. Look at Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder. Johnny Depp, especially, is very versatile and definitely knows how to make his characters convincing.

Johnny Depp's an INFP?? I shall fear no more!

But yeah, becoming really good at anything requires lots of hard work and dedication, so my passion for it will help me there. And I don't know if this is an INFP trait or not, but once I have my mind set on something, no matter how out there or overly-optimistic, I am stubborn to let it go. We'll see how that goes!

Thanks everyone for your help! (note- that's not me ending the thread- keep the comments coming- if you have any that is).

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Thanks for putting my mind at rest there. I started to think that it was a job made for a Sensor or an Extravert for some reason..

It's less about E over I, or N over S, than it is about confidence and self esteem. Any type can have those qualities.

I know E types that would run in fear at acting infront of others because they lack the confidence in their abilities.

That's what you most need to maintain, your confidence.

Good luck, the world needs more Johnny depps. :D

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
yeah i love acting, and i think im pretty good at it too, but i'd prefer acting for films as opposed to a drama production because it's a lot less unnerving :S

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP's are naturals...go for it. I always regret not taking that path when I was younger, and I got into acting school. I made a deal with the devil (my mother), because for some reason that was the time she decided to acknowledge I was intellingent.
It is something I regret deeply, so persue it if that's your hearts desire

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
<-- this guy was an INFP I'm pretty sure. Judging by his interviews, and what everybody had to say about him.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I always loved drama and acting. Not sure if I was particularly good, but my creative side and passion moved me to love it. However in High School it was either drama or music. I chose music. Don't regret it for a second but would loved to have done both.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a behind the scenes person, very uncomfortable with attention. I would allow my discomfort to get in the way of performing.

However, I could see an INFP being a good actor if he/she was not shy and not inhibited, which many introverts are not. The character part might be easy, what with our complex imaginations. It's simply a matter of translating what is in your head to something physically apparent, but that's the case with all art forms.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
What about other NF's? INFJ's, ENFJ's, ENFP's? All NF's are known to have incredible imaginations, which means that we all can make damn good actors. Some acting books define talent as an actor simply having "a good imagination."

It seems like INFP actors end up being my favorites, in any case. Heath Ledger and Johnny Depp come to mind quickly.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Do you think INFP's make good actors?

I'm an INFP and I love Drama, and intend to audition for an acting course at the end of school, and hopefully get employed on stage afterwards.

What advantages does the INFP type have in acting? What about disadvantages? And overall is it a good choice for them? Your opinion please!

I was in every play and musical in my high school from freshmen to senior year, and i absolutely loved it. I was usually cast as something that required a lot of character acting. I was Trinculo in The Tempest, for instance. I also typically played old women.

i think the advantages are that it may be easy for you to become the character, it will come natural. The disadvantages for me personally was the fear of forgetting a line, and i took criticism from my directors VERY personally. It was hard for me to take it constructively, so if that is a problem for you, it might be hard to have a future in acting. I quit after high school, because i wanted to move on to something else that didn't make me so stressed out. Learning lines, lots of practice and lack of sleep and criticism made me tired.

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
Just came back online after a few days and found a ton of more friendly, helpful comments! Thanks guys!

And yeah, criticism is a problem. But it's also a risk in the other things I love to do- writing, playing music, etc (I cringe fearfully whenever preparing to read a marking sheet for a story or music solo). I guess criticism is something that comes with all artistic pursuits! (But I wouldnt want to do anything else :D)

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That is true. Criticism is inevitable. I'd say positive criticism more than makes up for the negative side though. :)

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
My INFP boyfriend is an actor. Or at least WAS a child actor. He leans towards the writing side of things more heavily now. I think Fi can have a complex understanding of peoples' personal motivations and that can be a valuable asset when understanding a character and emoting as them.

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
All the ( Visionary Types ) > any NF , the (ENFJ- Mentor) the (ENFP-Advocate) the (INFJ- Confidant) the (INFP- Dreamer)

michL87

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I get a bit self conscious .... it might be the most natural for ISFP's. Just a thought.

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
I just wanted to say, we're doing our big production of The Crucible tomorrow. The one I've been getting worked up about all year with my F driven obsessiveness. I demand you all wish me good luck!

Some more thoughts about INFP's with acting; do you think our Si and/or Te would help with learning lines? I seem to be quite good at this; and when we have to shorten to script by taking bits out (especially from my monologues), it drives me crazy, as I get used to, even attached to, the exact order of the scene/monologue, how this line leads to that line which then sets things up for the next bit, etc. And while I can recite my lines perfectly when everyone else says their lines right, if someone says a misplaced line, I'm a bit thrown off. Improvising is also not my forte. I am more comfortable acting out my perfectly memorised, exactly ordered scenes, and then in that familiar framework, emoting with my good ol' Fi!