• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] What do you like about being an NF ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What do you like about being an NF ?

The question is asked in a very general way so feel free to interpret it as you like.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I feel like I have an innate connection to the universe. This probably sounds weird but I realised a long time ago that not everyone feels this and have ever since been grateful that I do.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like being able to get a glimpse into other people's souls. The connection to the universe is also a good one. I used to hate my sensitivity but I've come to treasure it. It lets you pick up nuances you'd otherwise miss. And I love basking in the blissful emotions I'm being flooded with. All of this makes me feel alive :)

P

Phantonym

I like that I'm not entirely convinced that I like being an NF. The constant wondering keeps me on my toes. The feeling that you know everything but you have no way of knowing that for real.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I like being able to get a glimpse into other people's souls. The connection to the universe is also a good one. I used to hate my sensitivity but I've come to treasure it. It lets you pick up nuances you'd otherwise miss. And I love basking in the blissful emotions I'm being flooded with. All of this makes me feel alive :)

I hope to learn to appreciate it the way you do one day, right now I'm not very much in love with being an NF. It feels like I'm so odd, only some people get me and most of them are online. :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ohh I so feel the same way, but over the last year or so I've come to enjoy it. Also partially by being here, and seeing that I am in fact not alone in this matter :)
And maybe it's rather patronizing to say this, but I've also learned that people are..well just people. They have their strengths as I have mine, and most of them just aren't as aware of what the consequences of their actions are for other people. Doesn't mean they're malicious or mean you any harm. It just means that they don't get you and...it's not their main interest in life to actually get you, so it's something they don't bother with. Took me a long time to see that and actually accept it. These days, I just try to see who it is I'm dealing with and realize that their actions are most likely not specifically directed at me, and if they are, that it has probably more to do with them and how they view the world than who I am. So if they experience me as weird, then I can live with that just fine and perfectly understand why it is that they do :)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Ohh I so feel the same way, but over the last year or so I've come to enjoy it. Also partially by being here, and seeing that I am in fact not alone in this matter :)
And maybe it's rather patronizing to say this, but I've also learned that people are..well just people. They have their strengths as I have mine, and most of them just aren't as aware of what the consequences of their actions are for other people. Doesn't mean they're malicious or mean you any harm. It just means that they don't get you and...it's not their main interest in life to actually get you, so it's something they don't bother with. Took me a long time to see that and actually accept it. These days, I just try to see who it is I'm dealing with and realize that their actions are most likely not specifically directed at me, and if they are, that it has probably more to do with them and how they view the world than who I am. So if they experience me as weird, then I can live with that just fine and perfectly understand why it is that they do :)

Yes, this MBTI stuff has definately helped me put people into perspective, and I feel less hurt these days by the fact that people are not all cuddly teddy bears like I believed they were once lol.

I'm just trying to see the use for an NF in society. Once I see where we fit into the world then hopefully the rest will come together. :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Beats me. I agree that we're the least practical type and it does sometimes make me wonder what we can contribute in this world. Lemme know when you figure it out :D

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Beats me. I agree that we're the least practical type and it does sometimes make me wonder what we can contribute in this world. Lemme know when you figure it out :D

Phew, not just me wondering either lol feel much better now. :smile:

Anyway I must go take that shower, and do the one thing I know I can contribute to, take my kids to the school fair.

Bye :hug:

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I like being a NF, because:

- I'm at least not a SJ. There are already so many of them, and I think it would be very boring if I were something that was so freaking common.
- I'm at least not a SP. It would be fun to be a SP, that's true, but having the life of a SP seems so empty to me. It's lacking something, I'm not sure what it is.
- I'm at least not a NT. Why? Err... I don't know, being NT would be cool too. Especially ENTP. But ENFPs are cute, so I don't really want to change into a NT yet.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And maybe it's rather patronizing to say this, but I've also learned that people are..well just people. They have their strengths as I have mine, and most of them just aren't as aware of what the consequences of their actions are for other people. Doesn't mean they're malicious or mean you any harm. It just means that they don't get you and...it's not their main interest in life to actually get you, so it's something they don't bother with.
Isn't that depressing or disappointing for NFs? Which is maybe what you meant when you mentioned "patronizing."

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Getting to be an Intuitive and a Feeler at the same time, what else?

I mean, what do I have in common with an ENFJ anyway? I share more with an ENTP if you ask me. So I'd say it's not the traits I share with other NFs that I value the most, so much as the ones I share with other Ne users and Fi users.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Isn't that depressing or disappointing for NFs? Which is maybe what you meant when you mentioned "patronizing."

It is depressing. In fact, in my case, it hurt me to my very core when I was younger because it is such an integral part of who I am that I didn't even consider the notion that maybe this isn't the way it works for everyone. And if you therefore wrongly assume that others have the same senses as you and same skills to certain degree...it would mean that although they understood perfectly what you were trying to say, they just don't give a damn and truly didn't consider your pov valid and even pretend to misunderstand you and twist your words. Nothing hurts more, imo, or makes you doubt yourself more.

I never understood why it was that others had no problems hurting and judging others, and I never understood why they considered my well meant behavior as hurtfull and selfish. And even worse, when a miscommunication occurred, they weren't interested in finding out what had happened. They had their own ideas and moved on, judging me wrongly, I felt. Caused me a lot of grief, as I didn't wanna become insensitive to people or grow a 'thick skin' as was so often suggested to me (that just feels like I'm dead), and at the same time I wasn't able to understand why they acted like that.

Of course, this was all seen through my eyes, and I wasn't able to gain the distance I needed to see what was going on. Have to admit that especially MBTI has been rather helpful on this :)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
It is depressing. In fact, in my case, it hurt me to my very core when I was younger because it is such an integral part of who I am that I didn't even consider the notion that maybe this isn't the way it works for everyone. And if you therefore wrongly assume that others have the same senses as you and same skills to certain degree...it would mean that although they understood perfectly what you were trying to say, they just don't give a damn and truly didn't consider your pov valid and even pretend to misunderstand you and twist your words. Nothing hurts more, imo, or makes you doubt yourself more.

I never understood why it was that others had no problems hurting and judging others, and I never understood why they considered my well meant behavior as hurtfull and selfish. And even worse, when a miscommunication occurred, they weren't interested in finding out what had happened. They had their own ideas and moved on, judging me wrongly, I felt. Caused me a lot of grief, as I didn't wanna become insensitive to people or grow a 'thick skin' as was so often suggested to me (that just feels like I'm dead), and at the same time I wasn't able to understand why they acted like that.

Of course, this was all seen through my eyes, and I wasn't able to gain the distance I needed to see what was going on. Have to admit that especially MBTI has been rather helpful on this :)

Yes, this is definately yet more proof of why I picked you as being the member I most identified with. :yes: I felt the same way, I wish I had known then what I know now, it would have saved me so much heartache along the way. :hug:

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I have a very good connection with people and the way they are, I am a very kind and well mannered person, I am very imaginative and of course I feel emotions on an extremely deep level

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What do you like about being an NF ?

Freedom from the tyranny of the ubiquitous compulsion to decide everything based on impersonal logic, and from a world without room for personal meaning.

I also like the ability to anticipate certain aspects of human nature, gain a deeper sense of it, and express these things.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
"Because I am good enough, I am smart enough, and dog gone it people like me!"

SNL character Stuart Smalley aside, I think we see more [or at least have the potential to] of the positive side of life, we can relate to people even ones who aren't really like us, we [can] inspire others, we see the positive potential in others and help them to develop/manifest it. And we are all about super deep meaningful conversations, or at least we really like them when they happen.

I think we have questions and ponderings about life, the world, how things could be, but unlike our NT brethren we apply that to people. NT pondering [actual example if I recall correctly] "what if we put a laser on the moon..." NF pondering: "why do so many people seem not very happy? what can I do to help make people happier?"

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I can relate with a lot of this as well. As an NF when people have problems I want each person to say their side, listen to others, understand the miscommunication, and know better how to prevent it in the future. Others I've met, ST's especially come to mind, seem very rigid in their interpretation of things "I'm right, your wrong/at fault, that's it!" and have little or no interest or willingness in understanding another's angle or even listening to another explain there side of things.