• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Stop Stereotyping NFs! Srysly.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Why does everyone stereotype NFs as being peaceful, nature loving, happy, cuddly little souls?

MBTI is a matter of preference and is so general, that it was probably never meant to be used so drastically and specifically as we use it here. We assume so much, and remember so little about what MBTI really is. It's not WHAT you do..but HOW and WHY you do it. You can have an NF in the army..you can have an SP Politician..you can have an NT Garbage man..or an SJ rock star. NFs do what they of love and inspiration...whether it be leading peace rallies, saving the rainforest, killing enemies in battle, or in the confines of a cubicle in a large corporation.

Stop stereotyping NFs, everybody! It's about individual and less about 'oh, he's this type so he must be like this, or he must have a job in this'. No, that's all wrong and you're assuming so much it just makes you look arrogant.

I have to say..this forum, being here, and interacting has kind of ruined my outlook and intelligence of Myers Briggs. It's sort of taking it too far, in general..this isn't really what personality types should have ended up like. But that doesn't matter, we're here and we do learn a lot of other things. But please, can we try not to stereotype other types often as we do, and relax and realize it's more about the individual and that we're all insane?

-OWS

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
lol, that military thread really pissed you off, huh? You knwo you're right, but your reaction to this doesnt exactly detract far from ENFP stereotypes, either, yanno ..... :p

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Leave it to an NF to be offended enough about stereotyping on a typology website to post about it.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I guess it's kind of ironic, now that I think of it. I guess ENFPs would be most prone to do such a thing..I'm not trying to eliminate stereotypes, as so many people fall into them, but just trying to get people to start perceiving more than judging when they deal with MBTI. I think what I'm trying to say is that there are mental stereotypes (ie: me creating this thread is stereotypical of an ENFP), and there are physical and concrete stereotypes that people use to judge types..which is a stupid choice, imo.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
It's not WHAT you do..but HOW and WHY you do it.

I think this part needs to be highlighted. MBTI, to a degree, is the study of how the mind works and responds to given stimuli. Even if I granted the assumption that the 16 MBTI types are the only true types, (or, that subtypes do not present a large enough distinction from the standard 16 to be worth being noted) it would be fallacious to assume that all types are "the same." This is because that whilst they may respond to similar situations in a similar manner, each person of a individual type does not face the same situations and circumstances as everyone else of their type.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Leave it to an INFJ to disassociate themselves from those annoying, happy ENFP hippies. Life sucks and they have much more fun than they should.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Leave it to an INFJ to disassociate themselves from those annoying, happy ENFP hippies. Life sucks and they have much more fun than they should.

I'll take that :D

Although not all ENFPs are "happy." Or "annoying."

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You are definitely right about the limits of stereotyping. I voted INFP as the typcially worst fit in the military, but not because I assume they are cuddly and sweet. It has more to do with how their thinking is structured compared to the requirements of the military. There are individual differences and the likelihood that MBTI doesn't map that well to reality in the first place.

I've thought about this issue of stereotyping and have to actually wonder how people could discuss MBTI free of stereotypes since it is basically constructed on observing and categorizing behaviors. Studying and discussing Jung's theories is a different thing altogether. I would much prefer to discuss MBTI in less stereotypical ways, but am actually not certain how. It's almost like a game that is played when you accept the premises of the system. That seems to be how it is realized. It is an interesting question for sure.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Well all the INTPs are holed up in their rooms wishing they could FEEL as they complete their doomsday devices!

Did... did I do it right?

Atomic Fiend

My way of dealing with anything said on this site, if you know it doesn't apply roll it off your shoulders and move on, let people think whatever they want, just cause someone believes they're right doesn't mean they are.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well all the INTPs are holed up in their rooms wishing they could FEEL as they complete their doomsday devices!

Did... did I do it right?

Too bad you said INTPs... I was going to point to my signature and say that you're wrong :rofl1:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Why does everyone stereotype NFs as being peaceful, nature loving, happy, cuddly little souls?

MBTI is a matter of preference and is so general, that it was probably never meant to be used so drastically and specifically as we use it here. We assume so much, and remember so little about what MBTI really is. It's not WHAT you do..but HOW and WHY you do it. You can have an NF in the army..you can have an SP Politician..you can have an NT Garbage man..or an SJ rock star. NFs do what they of love and inspiration...whether it be leading peace rallies, saving the rainforest, killing enemies in battle, or in the confines of a cubicle in a large corporation.

Stop stereotyping NFs, everybody! It's about individual and less about 'oh, he's this type so he must be like this, or he must have a job in this'. No, that's all wrong and you're assuming so much it just makes you look arrogant.

I have to say..this forum, being here, and interacting has kind of ruined my outlook and intelligence of Myers Briggs. It's sort of taking it too far, in general..this isn't really what personality types should have ended up like. But that doesn't matter, we're here and we do learn a lot of other things. But please, can we try not to stereotype other types often as we do, and relax and realize it's more about the individual and that we're all insane?

-OWS

I think it's a little silly that you're so offended by this. People only stereotype like that as a joke. The whole system is a bit of a joke, honestly... no one really expects it to apply perfectly to individuals. We're usually discussing archetypes, not people. The whole point of type is to choose which caricature you're more comfortable being associated with, not to accurately convey individual traits. That comes through in other ways.

For instance, if someone says, "INFJs are martyrs," that doesn't automatically translate to "Athenian200 is a martyr," in my mind. You can say something about an archetype without discussing individuals that happen to identify themselves with a particular type.

It shouldn't be necessary to qualify every quip about NTs lacking emotional awareness with a disclaimer that some NTs have a capacity for sensitivity and compassion, in other words. But with all these people getting mad about every little stereotype and taking it personally, I guess I'll have to put disclaimers on EVERYTHING. *sigh*

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Am I the only one who likes being stereotyped? I think it's pretty interesting when people do that, because it reveals more about them than about me. And it's funny!:D

Chloe

-OWS

+1

yeah, I think that stereotype about NFs is started by NTs who just mostly despise F, so we are like weaker version of them. At least it looks to me like that.

and it's true - i don't like animals, I love nature but not extremely, i never wanted to adopt any children from Africa etc.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Please, I am totally in my ren-fair outfit right now crying over roadkill AND YOU CANNOT STOP ME!

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Tiny, you could whoop anyone's booty. NT, SJ or otherwise.

I think it's the ineffectual stereotype that bothers me a bit. I have a good grasp of my T and I temper it with my understanding of other people so I oftentimes am able to make good arguments where others get caught in their HAVE TO BE RIGHT hangups.

hommefatal

I think this part needs to be highlighted. MBTI, to a degree, is the study of how the mind works and responds to given stimuli. Even if I granted the assumption that the 16 MBTI types are the only true types, (or, that subtypes do not present a large enough distinction from the standard 16 to be worth being noted) it would be fallacious to assume that all types are "the same." This is because that whilst they may respond to similar situations in a similar manner, each person of a individual type does not face the same situations and circumstances as everyone else of their type.
Yes! There ARE archconservative INFJs and anarchist ESTJs, sure. Actually you could be ashamed of many people of your type though I personally sympathise with almost all people of my type because of my P preference (I don't judge people by good or bad but by I am able to relate and I am not able to relate.
Am I the only one who likes being stereotyped? I think it's pretty interesting when people do that, because it reveals more about them than about me. And it's funny!:D
You're an awesome person, I totally agree.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol getting upset at having your individuality insulted, how stereotypically NF