• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Alcohol and NF's.

nasmoe

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
I dont like the taste, so I dont touch it. But maybe if I ever want to party I might drink to get a buzz, thats it.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, I had no idea my fellow NFs were such teetotalers!

I really enjoy drinking and like to go out with a big group of friends two or three times a month. I like how it makes me more extraverted, and I also like how drunkenness encourages a sense of comraderie (lots of 'I love you, man's).

Sometimes I feel like a total dumbass the next day though and worry what kind of trouble my big drunken mouth got me into. (I'm pretty sure I'm an ENFJ when drunk -- they put their foot in their mouth a lot, right?)

Strange, I never get into trouble, I just get more playful in word and action. ^_^

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like drinks too. :smile:

Oddly Refined

Enneagram
I enjoy the taste of alcohol, but being drunk was never my personal idea of a good night.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Well I drink quite often, almost every weekend to be exact. I personally don't really like to get wasted, I drink to get a buzzed. Sometimes I feel really relaxed and then there are also times that it makes me anxious, but for the most part I say that it just leaves feeling a lot more secure and I will literally talk about anything and to anyone. Funny thing is that even when I am really drunk I never lose self control, I know everything that I am doing, saying and I remember everything from the night before although I would never dare drive like that. I never really understood why some people change so much when they are drunk.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i didn't drink until i was 22. it's kind of nice to see other infjs embody the same opinions as me, when, at the time, it seemed like i was socially insane.

i drink wine, beer, and whiskey a few times a week. i have a lower threshhold of desired drunkenness than say my entp friends, but an occasional drunk can do one some good. it's like a hard reboot. sometimes it's the most effective and easy way of getting the clutter out and starting fresh. it doesn't solve your problems or address them, but it provides a temporary relief at times. life needs this, especially when we do it together as a social ritual to blow off some steam and admit we don't know or have all the answers or are able to fix all the broken pieces in our lives.

plus it helps dull an overly sensitive sharp biting edge that i can sometimes take on. i am a much better person, socially speaking, when i take the edge off every now and then. i lose some of my rigid inflexible idealism and have a much easier time going with it, getting in the moment, etc. often i get gushy like an enfp and all that matters is a good meal and everything is rosy cheeked and merry and bright. hell- i have enough idealism to spare some time for some friendliness, every now and again, and the ability to assert myself as is more freely is very helpful, fosters openness and expressiveness which is unquestionably good (if you want to actually connect with anything, extravert, meet the world and the people in it halfway).

just bc most of the people you see drunk and saturday night staggering are people who don't share your values, or are painfully un-N, or are downright terrible drunken assholes on a streetcorner doesn't really mean that alcohol is to blame. the use and abuse of alcohol in life is a question that is rooted in many other social and psychological issues.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I drink quite often, almost every weekend to be exact. I personally don't really like to get wasted, I drink to get a buzzed. Sometimes I feel really relaxed and then there are also times that it makes me anxious, but for the most part I say that it just leaves feeling a lot more secure and I will literally talk about anything and to anyone. Funny thing is that even when I am really drunk I never lose self control, I know everything that I am doing, saying and I remember everything from the night before although I would never dare drive like that. I never really understood why some people change so much when they are drunk.

+1.

i think they have a lot of shit they have just repressed and haven't dealt with that starts coming to the surface. whereas i feel like i have more lightness and openness and gushiness and assertiveness that comes to the surface. i am a kind and caring and generous and enthusiastic person, even if at times i don't look like it on the outside. also, a lot of ideas that come to the surface, that get shared that normally wouldn't, etc.

i feel like many chemicals force your brain to operate in a different way, and this can spark using your cognitive functions differently, balancing them differently, etc. make it easier to access tertiary or inferior or even auxilary.

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Sometimes I feel like a total dumbass the next day though and worry what kind of trouble my big drunken mouth got me into. (I'm pretty sure I'm an ENFJ when drunk -- they put their foot in their mouth a lot, right?)

I am offended by this. How dare you say "a lot" rather than "all the time." :yes:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like alcohol, but I can live without it. I've only overindulged a few times (had a bad hangover only once in my life) and didn't really enjoy it. I don't understand why so many people of my acquaintance seem to be unable to enjoy themselves without alcohol - preferably as much as possible. These people's status updates on Facebook almost inevitably involve alcohol. I'm fairly sure I know quite a lot of social alcoholics. I just think there are ways to enjoy yourself which are a lot more interesting and involve a lot fewer pitfalls in terms of health, impact on your relationships with others, etc.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like to have a glass or two of wine or a good beer once in a while, but I don't like to get drunk. Of course, I've been drunk before, and it's not something I seek to do in the future. Everything in moderation.

People who drink a lot give me the creeps. I have a really strong opinion about it being every bit as harmful (sometimes more harmful) than illegal drugs.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was in my first few years of college - age 18-20 - I drank quite a lot. But I was also trying to be someone I wasn't, as I had had such a miserable social experience as a teenager. Once in college alcohol was my means to drown myself out and ease the anxiety and try to fit in with a group of people I wouldn't really be able to fit in with otherwise. Actually I had a lot of fun those years, so I don't really look at it all that unfavorably (just learning more about myself I guess), but eventually I realized what I was doing, and now I make sure that I only drink when I'm fully comfortable with the people I'm with.

I really assess my motivation prior to drinking these days. On average I probably have one drink a week - two at the most. I do enjoy a glass of wine now and then.

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
I really enjoy alcohol. I go through phases of drinking a lot (a couple of drinks on most days + getting drunk at least once a week) and I go through phases of not even remembering that alcohol exists. I enjoy getting buzzed/tipsy and I also enjoy being drunk. I've never had a problem with drinking till I black out/get sick/lose control; as I believe Unique said in the SP version of this thread, getting drunk without crossing the line is where it's at. :D

I would never pressure anyone to drink, though, and I completely respect those who abstain. I don't think alcohol is necessary for a good time, and have no problem enjoying life sober. When I'm out with people who don't drink/drink moderately, I follow suit. Drunk people are probably only interesting to other drunk people, although I agree with the_state_i_am_in that drinking does not necessarily = people acting like assholes/idiots. AFAIK, alcohol has very little effect on my personality. I laugh easier and am slightly more talkative, but that's it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't drink. I ate some candy that had alcohol in it once, though.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I used to be completely against alcohol...

...then I actually tried it. I haven't thrown up from alcohol because I don't like getting blind drunk, just enough to brush away that nasty ego of mine. :p

V

violaine

Physically, I don't handle overindulgence well which is the reason why I could easily do without alcohol. I never drink for the effect. If I do drink, two is my limit. I only drink if I am socializing. I like a good glass of red if I am having a nice steak. I like going out for cocktails to cute, little places but that is more about the destination than the drinking. And I like having half a beer if I am watching a band.

Basically, I don't ever like to feel unwell and that is how drinking regularly would make me feel.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't drink. I ate some candy that had alcohol in it once, though.

These are great at the holidays. Makes my family ever so much more tolerable. ;)

204.jpg

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
iwalker: that's what my family says about myself and my father... LOL

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm getting bored of it... I'm turning 18 soon and I started when I was 16. I drink maybe once a month. It was fun the first like ten times but it isn't really much fun any more. It isn't boring and I still do it, it just isn't nearly as fun as when it was still a novelty. I don't really act or think much differently and I just feel slightly duller. Maybe just a little less inhibited, but I'm already fairly uninhibited, so its hard to tell the difference.