• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Are INFP's boring???

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Are INFP's boring? For comparison purposes, what about INFJ's?

Sometimes I feel like "INFP's: The most interesting people that you will never actually bother to talk to."

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I think their pretty boring at times it depends...I knew one who was pretty pretentious ....

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I dated one and I don't think they are boring at all when they actually choose to talk and engage. When things need to be discussed and they shut down and/or freeze up because "they aren't good at sharing their feelings", it gets REALLY strange (boring is just one word that I would use for these moments; boring, awkward, strange, confusing, helpless, etc.).

Me: I'm just trying to discuss something with you. Why is this so difficult? Just talk to me, that's all I'm asking.
Her: :huh:
Me: OK, look. I'm not mad. I'm not upset. Everything is fine. But, I need you to talk and communicate - it's a very normal part of successful relationships. And you're so smart too. You're very capable of communicating - you're just not doing it for some reason. What's up?
Her: :shock:
Me: :doh:

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, it was a reaction to something I read on a thread over at the INFP forum

A poster started a thread about how they thought extraverts succeed in life merely for being extraverted [like its some kinda secret code or set of rules everyone follows, "oh look, an extraverted person, how interesting! lets go talk with them and then hire them for this job even though they aren't actually qualified or anything", or something like that]. Apparently they thought noone really wants to talk with or listen to an introvert. Others posted back disagreeing, but I'm sure plenty of INFP's have felt that way at some point or other.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
Actually, it was a reaction to something I read on a thread over at the INFP forum

Okay. That would suggest a personal insecurity of the poster, then. That which holds are attention is subjective, personal. You're not going to be interesting to everyone. These kinds of questions (Is 'X' boring? Am I boring?, etc) are pointless and are, in fact, the kinds of questions that bore me.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
Apparently they thought noone really wants to talk with or listen to an introvert. Others posted back disagreeing, but I'm sure plenty of INFP's have felt that way at some point or other.

Yea, like I said. Personal self-effacing thoughts. No good.
And we've all felt insecure at some point.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Okay. That would suggest a personal insecurity of the poster, then. That which holds are attention is subjective, personal. You're not going to be interesting to everyone. These kinds of questions (Is 'X' boring? Am I boring?, etc) are pointless and are, in fact, the kinds of questions that bore me.

I'm expecting quite a bit of insightful commentary from other posters on this site regarding this issue, which is why I started the thread. For example, I'm curious how often ENF's find INF's to be boring, or if ENF's don't but perhaps aren't willing to go talk with the INF's to find that out. Do we as INF's give off vibes of "I'm busy, don't come interrupt my super-deep feelings?" Are our emotions so intense that they come across as boring? Do people think that we will be boring, and then talk to us, and then get really blown away due to our complexity and interestingness? I for one have been told that "you're a very interesting person" MANY times in my life. Really, there should be a lot of aspects about this that people can talk about if they so choose...

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
ALL infps tend to appreciate Disney world.

Urgh, speak for your function shadow!

Don't know if it helps to answer the question, but this thread's starting to send me to sleep already :zzz:

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
The number one thing guys tell me over and over again, is that I'm interesting. And I have to agree. I am damn interesting lol.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
*tries to add something useful*

This is probably more to do with the innate infp oversensitivity to others' behaviour and emotions than anything else. It might not even be to do with insecurity per se; more that infps tend to be hypersensitive to the emotional states of others, often before they notice them themselves, and to tend to feel over-responsible if those emotions seem negative. I think it's easy for infps to feel guilty if the person they're speaking to is not entirely happy and at ease, and to want to try to "fix" the situation. However, quite frequently whatever it is will be bothering the other person a lot less than it is the infp!

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Sometimes I feel like "INFP's: The most interesting people that you will never actually bother to talk to."

Man, you can't say that as an INFP. :doh:

As an INFP I'm not really in a position to comment, but I have a few thoughts on the subject. Firstly, obviously INFPs aren't the most engaging people, which can be very boring for those around them. If you walked by a plain closed door you wouldn't find it very interesting. If you walked by a plain closed door and someone told you the room contained ebola, you would find it much more interesting. For a while.

Secondly, I suspect that INFPs tend to lead deceptively habitual (and boring) lives when they aren't doing well especially. Perhaps this comes from Si, or perhaps it's just a product of being such internal creatures.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
I'm expecting quite a bit of insightful commentary from other posters on this site regarding this issue, which is why I started the thread. For example, I'm curious how often ENF's find INF's to be boring, or if ENF's don't but perhaps aren't willing to go talk with the INF's to find that out. Do we as INF's give off vibes of "I'm busy, don't come interrupt my super-deep feelings?" Are our emotions so intense that they come across as boring? Do people think that we will be boring, and then talk to us, and then get really blown away due to our complexity and interestingness? I for one have been told that "you're a very interesting person" MANY times in my life. Really, there should be a lot of aspects about this that people can talk about if they so choose...

Gotcha. Well I'm going to head out of this thread then, because it (introversion versus extroversion, intensity of emotions, etc) just doesn't apply to what captures my attention. I'm more of an attitudes gal. Personal thing. :D Also, thank you for the clarification. Specifics really help with a question like this because a generalized "Are blah's boring?" is likely to garner a chorus of "Well that's subjective." I think what you're asking here is more of an inquiry into how to communicate with others better and how to improve one's relationships/grasp of interpersonal perception.