• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Are INFP's boring???

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
they can be boring if you are not a person they are comfortable around, otherwise no

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmmm, I'm wondering if it was my comment that sparked this...

Hmm, I honestly don't remember, but I wasn't thinking so. I think a lot of the posters on the INFP forum are younger, many in college, and many in HS. I don't know for sure, or even necessarily remember the OP itself, but I was wondering if it was from a quiet HS student who felt like all their ES__ HS peers found them boring because the OP was an IN__. I think anyone that actually KNOWS an INFP could never find them boring, in general. But we are pretty meek, quiet, non-assertive, passive, etc, so for Joe Bloe the ES__ on the street who doesn't know us I'm sure we'd seem rather dull. I've NEVER heard an NF call an INFP boring that I can EVER think of. Personally, spending lots of time around NT's and TJ's [work] I think they generally have like zero interest in what I find interesting, and I'm sure I completely baffle them.

seeker22

MBTI Type
XNTJ
INFPs are NOT boring! Especially once they are comfortable with you - you will see a whole different side of them. My best friend in the whole world is an INFP. She has great depth and substance...

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Not once you get to know them, but I think they tend to be a bit guarded with strangers. My favorite Aunt is INFP, and she and I can talk for hours on end totally enthralled in our conversation.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i generally don't find any Ne or Ni person boring. shared interest only helps. sometimes i like the feeling-focus of infp Ne imagination more than any other type, on the whole they're probably my favorite writers. (altho intp, infj, entp, enfp, and intj are all pretty good too). i think artistically i value what they bring to the table more than any other type, altho it is much easier to communicate and work with entps, and it is probably more in touch with and harmonious my actual vision. dom Fi is like a bomb always waiting to go off, when it comes to articulation/creative self-expression, and it's counterproductive to be overly-arranged or too conceptual or have sanded edges when the idiosyncracies are the basis for FiNe to speak!

it takes them a while to formulate their thoughts, sometimes. if they're practiced writers/banterers, they're fantastic. i'm not sure what it is, but it seems like there's a lot of subspecies of infps, and i don't think it's just that i identify with the values of some very strongly and the values of others weakly. it MIGHT be 4w5 vs 9w1, but i really don't think so. occasionally you'll meet an infp that seems so brilliant and complex and masterful when dealing with (the articulation/understanding of?) the world of feeling. it's deeply humane, profound, and healing. helps release those things festering inside all of us, give voice to them, hear them finally for the first time, and use that productively in our lives/know ourselves better.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it seems like there's a lot of subspecies of infps, and i don't think it's just that i identify with the values of some very strongly and the values of others weakly. it MIGHT be 4w5 vs 9w1, but i really don't think so.

There are many types of INFPs. They come in fun flavors like Ben & Jerry's. None of these flavors are in the least bit boring.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The domino effect? A thinks that B is boring, it shows and B is mirroring A's behaviour, causing the A to think that B is boring...

And all the while both A and B are really interesting people :doh:

Something like that....IDK, I was just being silly :tongue:.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are INFP's boring? For comparison purposes, what about INFJ's?

Sometimes I feel like "INFP's: The most interesting people that you will never actually bother to talk to."

I think velocity indirectly hit upon one of the main things - INFPs tend to lack that bit of an edge that would make us come off as lively and interesting to someone just glancing at us. We tend to be 'unassuming', which for many is boring.

INFJs usually are awesome banterers and have that edge INFPs lack. They are good at winning people over, and are usually very expressive. Ya, I find them far from boring.

jimboworld

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So far you've made 3-4 unvalidated posts with little regard of actual reasoning which to the rest of the participants in this thread that ISTPs are generally surface dwellers who thrive on pretentious catch phrases.

I think their pretty boring at times it depends...I knew one who was pretty pretentious ....

Casssita

MBTI Type
infp
As an INFP, I certainly often feel boring, but then if I scrunch up my face with all the effort I can muster and try to be objective, I remember that I do have a good number of hobbies that have interest value, can have good conversations (both serious and bantering) and have more than once had a friend just stop mid-conversation and express something that can be vaguely paraphrased as telling me I am odd/interesting/unique.

However, I think UDog has hit upon the problem. INFPs are unassuming. Unassuming is often boring. Also, some of us tend to have issues interacting in anything other than a one on one setting, so... unless conditions are practically perfect, any potential for being interesting is locked away. Internally, the INFP in a group setting is too busy gasping like a fish to be interesting. Or... at least me. I believe some of the more extroverted types can function better with people, and draw attention through antics and general charisma, and as INFPs, we are keenly aware of the fact that we can't capture interest in such a way- whether or not we'd actually want to. (Afterall, it is contrary to our character to be in the spotlight...)

I think a more interesting question is how would an INFP overcome this while still staying true to his/herself? Have any INFPs found ways to successfully mitigate this? Do any other types have possible solutions?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think I'm boring - I have many varied interests, and have done interesting things in my past. I'm actually a bit strange. However, I guess I could seem boring to outsiders because I like to read a lot and I'm a home body. I'm probably boring from the point of view of someone who likes to party all of the time or watch sports, because I'm not into any of that.

I'm not as reserved as some INFPs. Then again, I'm a little "i"...more extraverted than some INFPs. I'm an iNFP.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It's an interesting question, to me, because I've had people tell me that they will be "too boring" for me to be interested in talking to. It makes me question why they think they are 'boring' and I'm 'not boring'. Does 'not boring' just mean 'extroverted' to some introverts? Actually, I've had extroverts say it, now that I think about it.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's an interesting question, to me, because I've had people tell me that they will be "too boring" for me to be interested in talking to. It makes me question why they think they are 'boring' and I'm 'not boring'. Does 'not boring' just mean 'extroverted' to some introverts? Actually, I've had extroverts say it, now that I think about it.

Its defensive in nature. Saying it implies the person has insecurity in their ability to be interesting which then really implies that they are interesting just started to believe they are boring because their life isn't satisfying. Then behave boring, like another mind clutter thought that rolls back the curtain of belief.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The reality is to be boring wouldn't a person have to cease to exist.

I mean come on, how can any person be BORING!!!.
If any person was truly boring then why are you alive.

Think of all the micro organisms that find your body sexy, do they think your boring, hellz no. What about the food you eat, I bet that last sandwich you ate is screaming, yaaah, don't eat me your not boring already just get away from that tomato sauce. :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It probably suggests they have made assumptions about you... both about how exciting your life is and the type of stories they'd need to be able to provide to properly entertain you.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It probably suggests they have made assumptions about you... both about how exciting your life is and the type of stories they'd need to be able to provide to properly entertain you.

Yeah and that too. the lackluster, its interesting to note how personality switches gears. say from strangers, work, family, friends etc.
The warming up effect. takes longer for some than others to see the more comfortable person in action.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Maybe it's the closeness of INFP to INTP that's behind this, but two of the most hilarious and fascinating people I know (and i don't know that many ;)) are INFP dudes. One of those asked me once if he bored me.
I think what makes them so interesting is that shared traits allow us to understand each other at a high level but then throw the differences into starker relief. How can they be so different after all that? A distorted mirror. I can see how the differences can irritate but not how they bore. It's boring if they clam up and don't allow you to see what they really think and feel. Once you get past that it's cool.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I know some INTPs and INFPs that are boring conversationalists and others who are some of my favourite people to talk to in the world. With INFPs it usually has to do with how much personal confidence they have, if they're too busy wrestling with their inner demons there's no room for me in the conversation.

Last edited: