• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Exhaustion & despression

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Your rumination on things that you feel guilty about is a symptom of a major depressive episode, as is difficulty sleeping (falling asleep, staying asleep, waking up too early) - which leads to exhaustion, and lack of sleep is often a precursor for depression.

The sleep hours I get in are sufficient for normal daytime functioning, but it is after I physically exhaust myself through means of intense exercise where the negativity sporadically appears. I agree that a lack of sleep and depression have a somewhat inverse correlation, but in my particular case it's more of a physical exertion vs. negative thought...uh, graph. Lol.

Would you feel like an addict if you needed insulin for diabetes? Needing anti-depressants for a chemical imbalance in your brain isn't any different.

I would never deem any individual suffering a diagnosed case of depression an addict. If I were to take anti-depressants though, it could be construed as a case of drug-abuse for I have not been clinically diagnosed.

As far as non-medical coping skills, exercise has been shown to help w/ mild to moderate depression and anxiety. Weight lifting has specifically been shown to help w/ anxiety - I forget the dose that was studied - maybe 3x week for 20 minutes or something. The point is that physical activity helps. Also, if you're a reader, Feeling Good by David Burns is a good self-help resource for people w/ depression. Social support is important - talking to a trusted friend, & making yourself not withdraw further from the social world. Therapy works, too.

The irony lies in the physical activity being an instigator of the negativity. Perhaps I just exert myself too much?

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
please let me know in greater detail how you feel about yourself negatively, so I can give you some help.

The particular incident that has recently been resurfacing itself went along the lines of:

1) Boy meets girl.
2) Girl is crazy.
3) Boy feels sorry for girl and falls for her.
4) Girl falls for boy because he understands her.
5) Girl is crazy.
5) Boy helps girl attain a healthier lifestyle.
6) Girl is crazy, takes advantage of help.
7) Boy unleashes ENFJ fury.
8) Girl still crazy, only additionally hurt by ENFJ fury.

Through constant self-reflection and peer review, there's no reason to believe there was any wrongdoing on my part less the failure to see initially that this "relationship" was doomed to begin with. Nevertheless, I am ridden with the guilt of my uncontrolled "self-defense" exhibited at the time. Randomly and without warning after physical exhaustion. Does this paint a general picture for a decent analysis?

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
My male ENFJ friend, Taco, doesn't like to talk about the negative things affecting him either. I can tell when he's just bottling it up. He's gotten better about talking it through, but I can see it's still a problem. It has to be much harder for the guys in general. His INFP wife is good to him though.

I wonder if we fall prey to acting the part of the male stereotype, walling up against emotional instability and ignoring the consideration of expressing one's inner sentiments.

I don't like talking about the really bad stuff because ultimately I feel as if I'm going to exiled from the group.

Does this fear apply to your closest and dearest?

Bring your A-game, boy! I have sharks wearing laser hats!

Never mind the lasers...how does a shark wear a hat!? That accomplishment alone is indicative of piranha prowess.

I still find I'm beating myself up over things I didn't get right that happened years ago that no one else remembers. No way is anyone getting at *those*. They'll stay in the back of my own mind where no one can see them. They'll go out in silence with me.

:yes: