• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do INFPs think of INTPs?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm close to borderline I/E, so perhaps I'll answer:

I really like INTPs, they are perhaps my most favorite type. I enjoy their company and how they veiw the world, as it's not too different from INFPs, minus the whole rational/idealistic aspect. I've found that INTPs can be some of the coolest people I've ever meat, and our senses of humor are not too far apart.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With a few major exceptions the two of us don't get along so great. I find them a little too group-oriented for my tastes, and they tend to be rude and emotionally inept; they see me as a sickening, bothersome drama queen. I've tried to get along with them, but every attempt has been fraught with disaster. I have to confess I'm starting to develop a grudge against them. It's unfair to the numerous good INTPs out there, but there you are.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
generally: i don't think INFP-INTP relations always foster a sense of mutual empathy.. but they do foster a nice sense of understanding through shared viewpoints (Ni) that can become a solid foundation for friendship.. so long as the F isnt too sensitive and has a sense of humor, and the T is tactful and open-minded, this seems to quickly become a pair of introverts that when together just talk and talk and talk.

personally: i really admire INTP's insightful analyses..they may be scattered in the external realm, but their minds are sharp and focused..they are willing to go off on tangents and make abstract connections (as an infp i really enjoy that; they are great sounding boards if you can somehow trick them into caring about your NF interests!)
they can make some biting critiques as well..often with regard to society at large. this is at least funny, if not eye-opening for some people.. their cool intellectual air and off-the-cuff humor soften the severity of their remarks - i like that. it makes people listen rather than recoil when the subject matter is not wholly pleasant. i have learned a lot from INTPs in this way. also, it's great to have a human encyclopedia around. swapping tidbits of trivia and factoids can be pretty sweet.

edit: also, steampunk seems to be an INTP thing...steampunk is awesome.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No problem with quitet moments, easy to geek out with, a little cool initially with a decent amount of kindness on connection. I suppose I have a few troubles when they go too far with certian jokes, but that seems to only happen online and with a very select few. I have yet to be confronted with a bad situation IRL with them; I actually end up pulled into the group instead of being shunned really.

I wonder if I need more negative RL situations before I feel I can have any decent perspective though...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More than half of my friends are INTP, they're great people. Not many issues.

dotdalidot

MBTI Type
UFO
The only INTP I know of is my Astronomy teacher. He had this uncanny talent of treating my friend(another INFP) and I as feeble voices in a distant background. Despite the fact that we are more or less the only students who pay attention to him in class, and who, most often than not, actually know the answers to his questions. I was like some form of afterthought to him. lolol It was hilarity though. :laugh: and I can't blame him, I think he's just prone to some acute absentmindedness(also very apparent because he doesn't remember what he did this morning, to quote him).
I love his passion for teaching, though, and the way he teaches, which tends to take many tangents into the abstract, which pleases my Ne :D. He's a very smart fellow, too.
But, I must say, his jokes tend to be quite blunt at times. Sad part is, he says them with such enthusiasm too, like as if it's the best joke in the world and everyone will laugh, but then once the punchline is delivered and he gets negative, silent, somewhat bewildered stares, he always tries to correct them. I find them funny though, even if it's in my head. You know, like those ha ha, laugh-in-head sort of way.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
They can be quite facetious and too reserved at times, but all in all they are well grounded people.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
My brother is an INTP and I am closest with him of all my 5 siblings. I think he's very rational and generally have a good time with him. I do feel as though he may be a little too emotionally distant for most females to relate to however.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Cruel *INFP walks away then bursts into tears at my suggestion that worldwide illegal drug usage is stopped by killing users.*

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Cruel *INFP walks away then bursts into tears at my suggestion that worldwide illegal drug usage is stopped by killing users.*

Sure, because it is certainly cruel to subject anyone to such insipid remarks. I'd be crying before long.

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
Gentle. Which I like. But there's that irritating thing with them being freaked out by emotions. Part of me thinks it's a cute, and wants to go and hug the poor, freaked out fellows, and part of me wants to say "You emotionally incompetent, insensitive barstard!" I never could though... because I know deep down that they are still nice. And so gentle.

But I will think twice before becoming romantically interested in one again.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9

:dry:

Sure, because it is certainly cruel to subject anyone to such insipid remarks. I'd be crying before long.

:yes: :rofl1:

Intps... yeah, they're great for the most part, except for the odd one who could do with growing up a bit *ahem*. I haven't known too many irl, but have a tendency to have more interesting conversations online with them than any other type. I think we share a common focus of attention and style of communication (which makes it easy to understand each other) while having quite different perspectives on a lot of issues, which is what can make the conversation stimulating and enlightening.

Closer relationships may be more problematic than friendship or acquaintenceship though. I was engaged to one for a long time, and although there were some good points such as being able to enjoy each others' company and have great conversations, the relationship seemed to become badly fraught when greater intimacy was required. We simply didn't "do" it in the same way at all, perhaps I had a much greater expectation of how much there should be than she did; and the miscommunications and differences in outlook caused endless frustration on both sides, and not a little unhappiness.

Much as I respected and enjoyed her intelligence, perceptiveness, and quirky sarcastic wit, I can't imagine myself getting so deeply involved with another intp unless she had taken the trouble to really work on developing her awareness of her feelings and general emotional literacy. There's just too big a gulf there otherwise. I can be as logical and objective as I like for my part, but that doesn't do anything to change what I need from a relationship unless I am willing to put myself into a constant state of denial and use reason to reinforce it. And that is a miserable way to live - for an infp perhaps most of all...

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
I tend to gravitate to INTPs for friends. I'm practically a T, so we have like-minds. But, it's very easy for me to also have bad experiences with INTPs because some will have a very hostile attitude towards everything that disagrees with their perspective. And I'm not the sort of person to back down when someone else is just flat out wrong about something and being stubborn about it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I generally click with them quickly in real life, and we have a lot to talk about. We usually "get" each other pretty well and conversing feels very natural and easy.

Problems can arise if the INTP gets argumentative and/or inadvertently (or purposely...) steps on the INFPs toes and offends some value of theirs, or if the INFP gets too sensitive. This is always how my friendships with INTPs have ended....they get hostile and belligerent.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think that, when taking the MBTI, they answered more questions in a manner that indicated a preference for thinking rather than feeling compared to me. Otherwise, I find them amazingly similar to myself. INTPs and INFPs can be so alike that it's not funny; Ti and Fi are both very similar to one another.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I think that, when taking the MBTI, they answered more questions in a manner that indicated a preference for thinking rather than feeling compared to me. Otherwise, I find them amazingly similar to myself. INTPs and INFPs can be so alike that it's not funny; Ti and Fi are both very similar to one another.

I relate to INFP in many ways, seems many do.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think many INFP's could very easily be mistaken for INTPs to a casual observer. I see lots of strong similarities, and lots of general compatibility.