• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do you cut off the rope? NFs only please

Do you cut off the rope? NFs only please

• Cut off the rope

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Stay on the rope

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah I don't know, I said stay on the rope because if they decide to save me with a helicopter that can't hold all the people they want to save they better have another idea going on and I'll wait for that one. No reason for me to be deciding my fate without complete information.

ENFJ_Catholic

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I would cut the rope/get off the ladder. I'd want to push my chances to save the most number of people...and I'd actually favor my chances up on the mountain.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, and you can't be surprised that NFs are looking at the grey area and alternate possibilities :D.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
With any luck, I would be climbing with a bunch of ISTPs. Since they are excellent in this type of situation (and I am not), I would let them figure out what to do. :D

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any choice that does not involve falling. But I'll go with the choice that says I scream load enough to wake myself from a nightmare.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Note to self: Do not be in life-or-death situations with NFs.

Faine

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
If I was certain that the ladder wouldn't hold, then I'd cut the rope and take my chances on the mountain in the hope that other rescue efforts would come.

Why? I don't really know. I just don't think I could bring myself to do anything else. I've never been in what I'd call a life-or-death situation before, but my experience in highly emotional and tense times is that I take control, and making a sacrifice for other people is what I instinctively do first before I look back on it later and think "maybe I shouldn't have done that". I don't know, maybe in a situation like that fear and desperation would get the better of me; I certainly wouldn't want to die that's for sure, but if it was that or drag everyone down to die with me? I think I'd take my chances with the mountain and, assuming I survived the fall from the cut ladder, probably feel very sorry for myself afterwards.

Edit: I'm taking this question theoretically as it was meant, because as others have pointed out, there are a lot of possibilities not mentioned or considered in the OP. :wink: I'm resisting the urge to nit-pick. Be proud of me.

Saffronsocks

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
*antsy to find out how the rope is doing in other sections*

Uhhh... this is so boring of me. I would just stay on the mountain and hope they sent another chopper. No falling! Ouch.

Plus, if I froze in a crazy position I could convince later generations of.... something!

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Why would everyone else have to stay on the mountain if the rope cannot hold all 5 people and I choose to get off the rope in the first place?

Why should I have to cut the rope instead of, you know, get off the ladder?

Why don't the rescue people know how much weight the ladder can withstand?

Why can't they come back for me in a second trip?

Too many holes in the situation!

I have all of the same questions and more -- refuse to make a decision until I have the information. Also, I just can't understand how the rescuers will leave the decision to me who does not know anything about the rescue situation versus taking this decision themselves.

I would imagine that if such a decision was made - it'll likely be women and children first (I like when my gender suits me). Alternatively, they would leave the fittest people behind and take away the ones most in need - also likely children and less fit/healthy/sick....I'd be okay waiting for the helicopter to go back to base and come back. It makes no sense that it wouldn't be able to do that at all. If others were leaving, I'd be left with their food and supplies. Alternatively, if the helicopter couldn't take me and a few others, rescuers would have the good sense to drop off food and water packets and blankets or thermal packages to help us survive until the next trip.

The idea of being allowed to get on the ladder and then cut yourself off is just foolish. Just stay back, as advised.

Sorry - sacrifice without real meaning or need is not honorable to me, it's foolishness, best saved for martyr films that I will ignore during my walk down the video store aisle. That's not how I'd like to LIVE or be remembered. I'd rather come up with a really innovative way to get everyone out, extend the ladder/strengthen it or survive for the days needed until the next pick-up.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Cut off the rope, let them live, no questions asked. Die an honorable death, I can't think of a better way.

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
My observations:

SJs: Most (but not all) answered the question at face value. This is probably due to a willingness to stick to the rules, even with a hypothetical question. The majority of those who chose to "cut" were not choosing death, though. They thoroughly believed that the rescue group would come back. And if the rescue crew had an SJ leader, this suggests they actually would. It would not occur to them to give up on a life out there. Also, the SJs saw the stupidity in cutting the rope at all. They would just let go.

NFs: Also thought cutting the rope was stupid and asked a lot of questions. One was willing to jump unless pregnant, which is interesting. Talk about thinking it through, who would even think of that? NFs wanted to know who was on the ladder, and displayed a willingness to knock off people they harbored a hatred towards. They also wondered why they would have to sacrifice themselves, why they had to be the hero. Suggestions were made regarding rope order (fittest would be in last place), which would increase chances of survival should the worst happen. None seemed to question the fact that the rescue crew wouldn't come back (correct me if I'm wrong... I'm unwilling to read the entire thread again). Perhaps NFs have seen enough of humanity's dark side to expect such things. "We all have feet made of clay" is supposedly an SP type saying, but maybe that's also true of NFs.

NTs: Immediately picked at holes in the scenario, requiring them to be filled in, only to be defied by a work around of some kind. When their problem-solving was discouraged and they were urged to answer the question at face value, they said the question was pointless because any question that attempts to measure moral fiber is all talk, we all think we would act one way, when we would actually have to be there in that moment to find out what we would do in reality. NTs showed a lot of avoidance regarding knocking others off (in my opinion), though they didn't disregard it as a possibility in the heat of the moment. NFs actually seemed to be more aggressive in that manner, claiming that they would be willing to leave someone else on the mountain if it was someone who deserved life less than themselves. One NT claimed they would make sure all of them stayed so that they could kill them off, take their clothes and use them to insure their survival. I think this was a demonstration of their ability to work through the situation using only cold logic, not to be taken at all seriously.

SPs: The STPs wanted to know what gear they had and chances of survival. Picked at holes in the hypothetical situation. Stated that they wouldn't be there in the first place. One said he'd make the whole group stay, since it's easier to survive within a group (he didn't seem to be considering them as potential sources of nourishment). The SFPs also questioned the situation. One said they'd stay if they knocked another guy down for food to survive until the rescue crew came back. Another said they wouldn't be on the bottom in the first place and they'd basically do whatever it took to survive. All SPs questioned the stupidity of the crew in one form or another for the most part, except Jeffster, who yelled something rather random in the thread and then didn't say anything further. Once the clarifying questions had been answered and the problem-solving was through the thread became boring and irrelevant due to the SPs coming to the exact same conclusion as the NTs regarding questions about morality. This may be due to the fact that only STPs replied afterward.

NFs, you've really surprised me. By my potentially incorrect observations, you'd be the scariest people to climb a mountain with.

Faine

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Plus, if I froze in a crazy position I could convince later generations of.... something!

Heh, that's actually a pretty neat idea.

NFs, you've really surprised me. By my potentially incorrect observations, you'd be the scariest people to climb a mountain with.

Yeah, it sorta scared me as well. I have this theory that NFs are more reluctant to sacrifice themselves in major ways because they feel they are regularly sacrificing themselves in smaller ones for people every day... but I could be completely and utterly wrong in that. Frankly I have no idea, but it was interesting to read different peoples' responses.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Lol :D

Moral of the story, if you ever go trekking make sure the NFs love you and consider your life valuable or they'll likely take the opportunity to cut your throat when disaster strikes.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
draw straws. only the first 3 go. then the second 2 can go later.

the end.

Faine

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Lol :D

Moral of the story, if you ever go trekking make sure the NFs love you and consider your life valuable or they'll likely take the opportunity to cut your throat when disaster strikes.

:laugh: Love or hate, NFs will do it to the fullest.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
None seemed to question the fact that the rescue crew wouldn't come back (correct me if I'm wrong... I'm unwilling to read the entire thread again).

It was brought up in the first response (by Kyrielle)! :D
I think several posts throughout mentioned it...
The NFs were finding all kinds of holes in the situation also....

Saffronsocks

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
I figured it would come back/there would be another chopper...

Yeah, it sorta scared me as well. I have this theory that NFs are less reluctant to sacrifice themselves in major ways because they feel they are regularly sacrificing themselves in smaller ones for people every day... but I could be completely and utterly wrong in that. Frankly I have no idea, but it was interesting to read different peoples' responses.
It's an interesting theory. Fixed so I can agree with it :D... So much effort expended in everyday life for others... but the core is made of steel. I don't know if I would try to save myself (typically NF - it would depend 100% on my feelings towards my fellow mountaineers) but if I did I wouldn't feel bad about it.