• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFJs and their F

amelie

MBTI Type
XNFJ
I think I cant explain to you what my problem is, I am like in need of a theory to be coherent and to make sense, so I can accept it. If someone i.e. says: there is communism and their is capitalism. And then he says the combination of em both is the best social form, cause everyone on its own sucks, I can understand that.

But in typology terms there is no name for a combined system of mbti and socionics, its only communism and capitalism. I now can say, I am gonna pick out the best of them and merge them to that degree they fit with my reality. Which is prolly the only healthy thing to do. But when it comes to things like for example the INFJ and F issue, you cant merge it.

Everything after that would be real psychology and empathy and such things and my problem is just, I cant graps it cause I just cant. I dont have the ability to make that much compromise, I need to see a pattern behind things.

The description that you posted fits me very well also. I'm not very familiar with Socionics at all, but from what I'm gathering from what you said above, perhaps the problem is that both systems try to categorize people into homogeneous groups when, in fact, there are dimensions involved. So the INFJ does actually resemble the INFP in many ways - and an INFJ who is very close to the middle on J/P would be very similar to a INFP who was also close to the middle on J/P - and those people might be very different than 2 people who were on the extremes of the J and P dimension. Perhaps one system uses a more "extreme" individual than the other? To put it another way - you can (often) divide gender into clear groups, at least by XX or XY chromosomes. But something like socioeconomic status (SES) often uses artificial categories, and some instruments will be more sensitive to levels of SES than others. I may be totally off base about what you mean, not sure.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No, very well stated. I have to learn that there is not only black and white but shades of grey, if I want to come to peace with the system on paper one day. In real life I know that already for, thanks god, a very long time :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And then I look at my infj and I see her going on rambling about alot of people but then on the other hand enjoying their company in being a good host. Its like she knows them both Fi + Fe and thats prolly true or not cause I lack the understanding of the function.

You see, my thoughts have became erradic. Cause I will not understand the type systems any further, cause now I reached a dead end with logic. Meaning I know either settle on the things I am good at or start trieing to understand the type system again and again and again.

I have decided on staieing with the things I can do, its just it bugs you, if you notice, you have reached a dead end cause your abilities are insufficient.

the bolded statement describes Fe, does it not? i agree with you. i found socionics for me to be counterintuitive. others love it. i'm probably ignorant, but, hey, there's only so much you can do with typing systems anyway, right?

i'd love to hear more about your wife and her Fe/Fi traits........my Fi is weakish. do you know much about Fi?

screw it! have a beer!!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the bolded statement describes Fe, does it not? i agree with you. i found socionics for me to be counterintuitive. others love it. i'm probably ignorant, but, hey, there's only so much you can do with typing systems anyway, right?

i'd love to hear more about your wife and her Fe/Fi traits........my Fi is weakish. do you know much about Fi?

screw it! have a beer!!

oh! darn it. did i see somewhere that you don't drink anymore? i'm always saying the wrong thing to you.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
oh! darn it. did i see somewhere that you don't drink anymore? i'm always saying the wrong thing to you.

Nono, I am a drunkard as always and you never said a wrong thing to me thus far :). My INFJ is just not my wife, YET ! :D I only know her for 3 years and I think I am still a bit to young for marriage, as in: I have never thought about it yet.

Your take on the Fe thing is intresting and making sense aswell. I cant contribute much when it comes to F. I recently just had the guts to admit that I am prolly more Fi, cause I basically can share my feelings with others but would resort to means of like "die by the sword" if someone threatens them. Besides that I suck at being a good host or ever understanding superficial people, who dont write with their heart on their tongue.

What you said about the topic, I find good aswell. The really intresting thing is that you all, meaning you INFs, generally agree on the basic outline but have your own ways of interpreting its meaning + generally accept that from each other. And I think that this must be the thing life should be about, to be happy in the end.

Its just hard for a scientist at heart to accept the fact that there are different ways to interprete lifes mathematics and as I said before, I yet have to learn that one day. :)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hmmm if I remember things correctly...

socionics define J/P using a person's dominant function, whereas MBTI defines it using the OUTER facing function.

So for introverts. J/P for socionics and MBTI is reversed.

INFJ (MBTI) = INFp (socionics) - Ni dominant (preceiving), Fe auxilary (outer judging)
INFP (MBTI) = INFj (socionics) - Fi dominant (judging), Ne auxilary (outer perceiving)

Of course the two system don't exactly overlap because of slight differences between how cognitive functions are defined.

For the most part, I stay away from socionics too.

Your take on the Fe thing is intresting and making sense aswell. I cant contribute much when it comes to F. I recently just had the guts to admit that I am prolly more Fi, cause I basically can share my feelings with others but would resort to means of like "die by the sword" if someone threatens them. Besides that I suck at being a good host or ever understanding superficial people, who dont write with their heart on their tongue.
I'm not sure if defending values to the death is necessarily Fi as oppose to Fe. There's also differences between how people use Fe at the dominant, auxilary and tertiary position. Essentially no function acts in isolation. Your other functions will probably influence how you use Fe.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What you said about the topic, I find good aswell. The really intresting thing is that you all, meaning you INFs, generally agree on the basic outline but have your own ways of interpreting its meaning + generally accept that from each other. And I think that this must be the thing life should be about, to be happy in the end.

Its just hard for a scientist at heart to accept the fact that there are different ways to interprete lifes mathematics and as I said before, I yet have to learn that one day. :)

i know this thread is about F, but i thought i'd quote one of the cooler things i've read lately about Ni, cuz it relates to what you just said, and is a fairly common source of communication problems between myself (ni dom) and people with right-brained dom and aux functions (Ne, Se, Ti, Fi). again, it is from the lenore thompson wiki: Truth-and-Language Exegesis

From the Introverted Intuition standpoint, a true statement would be one that included everything: it would be applicable in all possible contexts. As a practical matter, no such statement is ever possible. The reality is always more than can be said, and what you say can never fully express your meaning. "The table is brown" might be "true" in some narrow sense pertaining to color, but what expectations attach to the word "brown"? Do you perhaps expect that brown means dull, or lower-class? Why did you say "brown" instead of "woodgrain"? Were you trying to separate yourself from the owner of the table, perhaps put yourself above that person? But couldn't someone from a different culture think that "brown" implies good and woodgrain implies ostentation and therefore cheapness? The full meaning of "the table is brown" could never be completely articulated or described. Each word is entangled with an unfathomable complexity of associations and assumptions. A really true statement would be one that could stand completely on its own, independent of any particular material or cultural context. And that's not possible. Since there is no one correct interpretation of a statement, each person has the right to interpret the words in his or her own way. It would be the worst possible violation of a person's autonomy to insist that they understand a word your way and not their own way. Ultimately, words are just words, with no meanings of their own; interpretations exist in another universe, one created by the interpreter.

so, yes, as you said, i have my own ways of interpreting and expressing meaning, and i hope i extend the same courtesy to others. one of the MOST frustrating things for me in relating with others, is when they misconstrue what i say and try to attach their own meaning to it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'm not sure if defending values to the death is necessarily Fi as oppose to Fe. There's also differences between how people use Fe at the dominant, auxilary and tertiary position. Essentially no function acts in isolation. Your other functions will probably influence how you use Fe.

I know, but I was talking about me, as I basically always do.

i know this thread is about F, but i thought i'd quote one of the cooler things i've read lately about Ni, cuz it relates to what you just said, and is a fairly common source of communication problems between myself (ni dom) and people with right-brained dom and aux functions (Ne, Se, Ti, Fi). again, it is from the lenore thompson wiki: Truth-and-Language Exegesis

so, yes, as you said, i have my own ways of interpreting and expressing meaning, and i hope i extend the same courtesy to others. one of the MOST frustrating things for me in relating with others, is when they misconstrue what i say and try to attach their own meaning to it.

that is a really good thing you said and quoted their aphrodite. I just advanced on the theory and got the idea: may it be possible that due to my new found type, which uses Ni aswell, the root of my problem in defining the mbti and socionics in a logically graspable way that makes sense, could instead of being about logic result from this ?!:

From the Introverted Intuition standpoint, a true statement would be one that included everything: it would be applicable in all possible contexts.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think you may have just solved my puzzle

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That's really intresting, I mean that quote:

From the Introverted Intuition standpoint, a true statement would be one that included everything: it would be applicable in all possible contexts. As a practical matter, no such statement is ever possible. The reality is always more than can be said, and what you say can never fully express your meaning. "The table is brown" might be "true" in some narrow sense pertaining to color, but what expectations attach to the word "brown"? Do you perhaps expect that brown means dull, or lower-class? Why did you say "brown" instead of "woodgrain"? Were you trying to separate yourself from the owner of the table, perhaps put yourself above that person? But couldn't someone from a different culture think that "brown" implies good and woodgrain implies ostentation and therefore cheapness? The full meaning of "the table is brown" could never be completely articulated or described. Each word is entangled with an unfathomable complexity of associations and assumptions. A really true statement would be one that could stand completely on its own, independent of any particular material or cultural context. And that's not possible. Since there is no one correct interpretation of a statement, each person has the right to interpret the words in his or her own way. It would be the worst possible violation of a person's autonomy to insist that they understand a word your way and not their own way. Ultimately, words are just words, with no meanings of their own; interpretations exist in another universe, one created by the interpreter.

says like what I did on this forum for 1/3 out of 4850 posts in which I was being serious. I have to think about that definitly, but I really thank you at this point this feels like to be the never found key I could have missed to my logic.

I have a hard time to understand english and its basically a huge problem for me cause there are only ressources on english for me on typology. Therefore I can totally miss a thing like that and besides that I never really paied attention to the thing called intuition or sensordom, cause I never really grasped what the hell they were about.

I have to think about that.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's really intresting, I mean that quote:

says like what I did on this forum for 1/3 out of 4850 posts in which I was being serious. I have to think about that definitly, but I really thank you at this point this feels like to be the never found key I could have missed to my logic.

I have a hard time to understand english and its basically a huge problem for me cause there are only ressources on english for me on typology. Therefore I can totally miss a thing like that and besides that I never really paied attention to the thing called intuition or sensordom, cause I never really grasped what the hell they were about.

I have to think about that.

well, i'd say your english is damn good! and, wowza, i just got a super hot, warm fuzzy from your comment. thank you! i usually feel like what i say around here is greek and weird.......i'm glad i wasn't a waste of 3/4850 posts after all! eric b (handle) sent me to the lenore wiki a few days ago. he's been awesome in helping me with some type stuff. i'm glad i could pass on some helpful info.

felsen darauf! hahahhahaha. is that right? trying to say rock on!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
lol ya rock on is an universally american thing, you cant translate that :). In my case you best say "Deine Oma ist 3 Tage wach", which means your grandma is three days awake, cause its 6 am here and I have to go to work in 3 hours, tho I am totally drunk -.- :D

Thanks for your idea. That has brought a lot of stones into movement for me :hug:

Sleep well l8r too, all of you !

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfnizRqgh5Y"].[/YOUTUBE]

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That's a good thing here from the Leonores website: :)

A good illustration of the Definition Problem is the frequent disagreements on Myers-Briggs-related discussion lists about type guesses of famous people.

If you say that Bill Nye, the Science Guy is an ENTJ and I say he's an ENFP, do we disagree? Not necessarily. Different people often understand the same four-letter codes to mean radically different things.

Many people use the four-letter codes to stand for "personality types": kinds of personalities that they've found among real people that seem very similar, suggesting that their differences are just minor variations on an underlying theme. For example, when some people say ENTJ, they mean "people like Mr. Burns on The Simpsons or T. Herman Zweibel of The Onion: cold-blooded tyrants". Other people, though, have different protypical examples for ENTJ: people like Phil Donahue and Kent Beck: people interested in fairly mediating between opposing ideas, especially when the stakes are high and tangible. Still others think of people like The Little Prince, based on someone they know in person who's come out ENTJ on a type test.

Consequently when people "disagree" about whether someone is an ENTJ, they usually don't disagree at all. They're talking past each other. The person who thinks of cold-blooded tyrants would disagree strongly that Bill Nye, the Science Guy is an ENTJ--by which they mean, "Bill Nye is not a cold-blooded tyrant." The person who uses The Little Prince as his model ENTJ might agree, thinking of Bill Nye's playfulness. But the person who first said that Bill Nye is ENTJ might have something else in mind entirely.

The reason the "people who are similar to these example people" doesn't work is because people are so complex and varied that given any two people, you can always find profound, interesting ways in which they are similar and profound, interesting ways in which they're different. To have a conversation, though, you need to be talking about the same ways in which people are similar and different. And that requires some effort: you have to communicate to the other person what distinction you have in mind, and the other person has to listen and make sure they understand you. Then you might genuinely agree or disagree.

That's a good thing that has potential too, to be said in the "Mistyped Members Thread". Cause it says its not only about people being widely colourful in their personalities and therefore hard to type sometimes; but it also says that people see each other differently leading to them perceiving type differently. This once and for all would solve the socionics / mbti disagreements aswell.

Well, seems like it kinda sucks to be an E these days. You first have to read the shit in a book or somewhere, before you really believe what you already knew in the first place :D

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's a good thing here from the Leonores website: :)

That's a good thing that has potential too, to be said in the "Mistyped Members Thread". Cause it says its not only about people being widely colourful in their personalities and therefore hard to type sometimes; but it also says that people see each other differently leading to them perceiving type differently. This once and for all would solve the socionics / mbti disagreements aswell.

Well, seems like it kinda sucks to be an E these days. You first have to read the shit in a book or somewhere, before you really believe what you already knew in the first place :D

well, just take the functions test again until it says Ti/Se and you can be an istp. ;)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hehe :D. Ya thats quite an intresting topic too. I read on Lenores website about their definition of Introverted Sensing and I understood it very well for the first time so far.

Some months earlier I was wondering, if my dad would be ISTP or ENTJ and I never really could decide. I thought he cant be ISTP, cause I always get into troubles when speaking with him and appear to be "still very young" like he likes to put it afterwards. So this didnt made sense, if I am the J and he is the P. I should be the one being confident.

But then I read about Si on Leonores site and its like, ya thats my dad exactly ! And furthermore I found out on Socionics that they say the relationship between the istp and the entj actually is one of supervision, in which surpringsingly the istp is the supervisor.

Supervision is an asymmetric relation (like relations of benefit) in which one partner, the supervisor, is in a more powerful position psychologically than the other, the supervisee. This is due to the correlation of partners' functions, which allows the supervisor to put more psychological pressure on the supervisee through his leading function than vice versa. Typically, the supervisee feels somewhat wary or careful about his words when approaching a supervisor. This innate wariness can develop into a full-fledged supervision "syndrome" if given the right conditions, or it can remain at a manageable level if neither person is in a position of power over the other, and partners do not overstep the natural bounds of the relationship.

Thats like totally mind-blowing and has yet solved another riddle for me.

I think I may be finally on the way of understanding the whole typology thing, cause I seem to have found the type for me myself now, which seems to grasp me the best way from my PoV and thats a good thing. I furthermore never really tried to understand this whole Ni and Si thing, but after reading a lot now on Leonores site, things keep falling together for me like two cogs turning :D

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But then I read about Si on Leonores site and its like, ya thats my dad exactly ! And furthermore I found out on Socionics that they say the relationship between the istp and the entj actually is one of supervision, in which surpringsingly the istp is the supervisor.

yes, but. isn't istp Se? not Si?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ya according to mbti, in socionics its again different :D. So far, the two guys that come of as istp to me, namely my dad and the guy I work with a both great Te users, who outsmart me far too often, knowing always the newest information by constantly reading magazines about new things you can do to earn money, manage your money or cars :D.

But thrill-seekers, as maybe proposed by Se and as in real actions thrills like bungie-jumping or something they are both not at all.

Well we decided on its based on your subjective view :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I figured I am more like uncle Herb from Simpsons. Who has an idea he then tries to turn into reality. My Dad is a plumper and has is own company and it took me about 2 years to convinve him to learn about solar technologies. E Voila nowadays he got customers he sells heat pumps and solar radiators too :D