• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Does anyone else forget to breathe?

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
This happens to me....a lot more often than it probably should. (I just had a bad incident of this a little while ago.) Even normally I have to put a lot of conscious effort into breathing, but it can get pretty bad if I'm concentrating on thinking or doing something (I put so much effort into concentrating on things [It's never just one thing at a time, though.], especially if it's really important stuff to me, but I can't help it...), cause then my heart freaks out and it scares me...:(

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I often forget to breathe.. It's such a simple act that I overlook. Sometimes, it feels good to just breath in the air and be in the moment with whatever's going on in life.. Not an easy thing to do, but something that I should focus on more often, maybe? :)

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
LOL THIS HAPPENS TO ME ALL THE TIME
I thought I was the only one, haha.

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
No, I do this too. It's caused by anxiety and fairly common.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
yeah i do that sometimes

it's pretty scary, i only realise it the moment my heart starts skipping beats etc. :D

i'm also a very light breather and tend to get annoyed when i meet people who are really loud about things like breathing

edit: It has nothing to do with anxiety for me (and this is coming from a person who is ruled by anxiety in general ;))

Last edited:

Chloe

it happens to me, i even think i have problems with sleeping because of this. I have this pattern where I just fall asleep when I'm not tired... like I knock down. After sleeping 8-9 hours, I can sleep extra 3 hours.
I think its related to breathing because I notice I breath less when it happens.
And my blood presure is a bit low, but I'm getting concerned about this sleeping.

dotdalidot

MBTI Type
UFO
No, I do this too. It's caused by anxiety and fairly common.

I agree. I remember a time when I thought I was dieing because I couldn't breathe deeply, like it was strenuous to breath, when it shouldn't be. It lasted for about a whole week. I finally figured out it was due to anxiety.

I know it has nothing to do with forgetting to be breathe...but I'd figure it went along the same lines. lol xD

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I don't forget to breathe, but I do forget how to breathe. I can be lying down in bed and all of the sudden I will notice I am breathing, as soon as I become aware of the breaths I am drawing, it's like I forget just how fast or deeply I should be breathing. From there it's about 5-10 minutes of trying to settle my breathing into a comfortable pattern again.

My breathing works fine when I am not aware I am doing it, the moment I pay attention is when I get confused. :blush:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wow, that kinda sucks :thelook:

I can understand having difficulty breathing cause of anxiety but forgetting how to breath sounds scary.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
considering that long, even, and deep breaths are associated with centering oneself and relaxation, i wonder if short, sporadic, or nonexistent breaths are really caused by tension or are themselves a contributor to the tension in the first place.
/correlation/causation derailment

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
This reminds me of sleep apnea, although in this case you're conscious. Breathing is normally autonomic, so you're overriding this system semi-decisively?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
This reminds me of an episode of the Fresh Prince I saw just the other day, when Will has to choose a teammate for a gameshow he goes on. He chooses Carlton over his good buddies Jazz and Tyriq, and eventually tells them it's because Carlton is better at gameshos, and the buddies take it the wrong way. So Tyriq tells Will, oh by the way can you remind me when to breathe?

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
On a regular basis. I concentrate so hard, I'll start to feel dizzy, and realize I've not been breathing regularly. :blush:

Or!! I'll focus so hard on breathing that it ceases to be voluntary, and I can't focus on anything else. That makes me mad.

edit: Yeah, now that I read the whole thread, it's exactly as you described, Berberella. So irritating! :ng_mad: