• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Any NFs Talented at Math?

how are you at math?

• Total voters

Chloe

so please answer the poll (and of course it should be your personal impression - paired with your math grades in school, college etc.)

So, are here some other NF mathematicians?

Like (very) talented for math.
Because it's a bit confusing for me my math talent because even of tests my T functions are (Ti,Te) on (6,8) places... so...... and I have HUGE dislike towards thinking, logic..

I've been on many math competitions and it's funny how I remember (before knowing for MBTI) that I sometimes messed up some answers with using F instead T; even when I knew answer I just "felt" this sounds better - and I answered it wrongly. :D
okay, that was in 2% of cases but that were noticable nuances for me.

I think Mondo is also NF-mathematician...
Any others???

Last edited:

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I studied finance and performed in the top of my class. Finance isn't really hard math, but if your asking for NFs with a quantitative background I'm one of them.

redacted

I got 148 on the math part of an IQ test :)

But I don't really do much math anymore in college.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
i used to go on math competitions up until age 15. after that, I tried to develop more right brained thinking, since I felt like I was getting too left brained.

but yeah, i remember our team used to get 1st in math counts competitions for our los angeles region. at the state level, we never got 1st though. never took more than linear algebra in college, which I really liked, especially the proofs. but yeah, i never went much further bc of the whole balanced brain approach I wanted.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
NFP, above average. But I don't really like math. Analysis in particular, is all sorts of boring to me.

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I did very well in math in school. I always got recruited for those statewide math competitions (could anything be more humiliating for a girl in junior high?). I also won an award at high school graduation for being the only student in my graduating class that took every math class offered by the school with all As.

Having said that, I didn't pursue it in college. I was actually a bit intimidated by "higher math." I can remember being enrolled in a calculus class my first semester. The professor told us on the first day that the class would be highly theoretical and was recommended for math and engineering majors. I dropped it the next morning and enrolled in a calculus for liberal arts majors class....and that was my last math class ever.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've always been really good at math (both linear and abstract types), and along with science, it was my most favorite subject of school by far. I took all the advanced courses I could, though I couldn't take all of the ones I wanted to in high school simply because my schedule didn't have enough room for them. I was pretty sad about that. I thought it was funny that I would always be doing the book work in class an entire unit ahead of the rest of the class, and at the same time participating in the discussion about the current chapter from the last unit, and also I'd fly through the tests without checking my work once (I always showed all my work, though, because we were required to.) so I could have more time to read, and still ace them. lol

I went to a lot of those competitions too, for both math and science.

Chloe

I was expecting that those NFs who aren't good at math will answer at least the poll. wtf??! :mellow:

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm good at math, I'm just not that interested in pure math.

Chloe

I'm good at math, I'm just not that interested in pure math.

Seems like we have pattern here.... of NFs who are good in math but dislike it.

I'm the same; I'm very talented, but I dislike it. I mean, it was interesting but then it got all the same, no more challenging, and the fact that its pretty IT science - without much people contact or people oriented goals - was crucial for dropping it...

..........still i'd prefer if all NFs answer the poll so we can get better picture..

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm above average in math and enjoyed it while I studied it. I have an underlying desire to go back to it and study it more. It would help me as a musician. I find math beautiful.

My brother has tested as an INFJ, and he has a notable mathematical gift. He knew all his multiplication tables by age five, took high school math while in grade school, almost completed a doctorate in math before he switched to finance to increase employment options.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I think asking whether someone's a professional student of mathematics is different than "how are you at math". One swallow doesn't make a summer, and getting an A in "Introductory Statitistics" doesn't make you a mathematician, either. If you ask me, you aren't worthy of the title of "mathematician" unless you have AT LEAST a bachelor's.

was this thread about interest or ability or both?

Chloe

I think asking whether someone's a professional student of mathematics is different than "how are you at math". One swallow doesn't make a summer, and getting an A in "Introductory Statitistics" doesn't make you a mathematician, either. If you ask me, you aren't worthy of the title of "mathematician" unless you have AT LEAST a bachelor's.

was this thread about interest or ability or both?

yeah, title is somehow wrong but i m not native english speaker so ...
anyway, i wanted to know about abilities, i don't have bachelor's degree in math because i dropped it, i dislike it but i have extreme talent.

so i was kinda asuming that not many NFs actually studies or has finished something related to math so they'll answer based only on talent.

talent has nothing to do with math education, almost.
it's well shown in high school, no need for college level at all.

okay, i kinda think this was all obvious about this thread.

EDIT: OH, GOD, i thought what is this dude theoretizing about obvious, what kind of NF is this??? and then I look and you're INTP. O boy!!!!! :rolleyes: :)

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
true, it is obvious, but at the same time, I don't think many of the people that replied affirmatively here are trying to solve Riemann or do anything highly theoretical in mathematics. that, to me, is a "real" mathematician. Any monkey can be trained to crunch numbers well, as my case demonstrates :D

and my type has nothing to do with it!! :)

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
BS: math and physics
MS: Physics
all coursework and part of research for PhD in Applied Physics [program withdrawal]

calculus, differential equations [ODE], linear algebra, abstract algebra, complex analysis, multivariate calculus, boundary value problems and partial differential equations, statistics, whatever else I took. some knowledge of: functional analysis/hilbert spaces, differential geometry, tensor calculus [ie the math of special and general relativity], whatever else I'm not thinking of

wish I knew more about: non-linear partial differential equations, numerical modeling of PDE's

wish I had: MS in applied mathematics

advanced math is a very INTP environment, advanced physics is a very INTJ environment. If you wanna know what your doing/understand what it means, learn your math from math people not from physics people.

Chloe

true, it is obvious, but at the same time, I don't think many of the people that replied affirmatively here are trying to solve Riemann or do anything highly theoretical in mathematics. that, to me, is a "real" mathematician. Any monkey can be trained to crunch numbers well, as my case demonstrates :D

and my type has nothing to do with it!! :)

yeah, I think I should put "extremely talented" and "talented" in poll. But I forgot :cry:
it's kinda weird to have 5 extremely talented here, I mean, I didn't meet in person much more than 5 extremely talented people :lol: and I've been on these competitions on national and european level for years.