• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Any NFs Talented at Math?

how are you at math?

• Total voters

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Math needs to be taken out to the back and shot :coffee:

Chloe

Math needs to be taken out to the back and shot :coffee:

In our primary school (up to 15 yrs here) our wicked math professor sent kids who sucked at math in garden behind the school to do gardening instead of math etc..kids were there all year in the time of math classes.. true story :smile:

am_i_evil666

I consider myself talented at maths. I graduated from one of the best highschools in here, which is a maths one and I was among the first in my class. Ha!!

amelie

MBTI Type
XNFJ
I'm great at math when I have a reason to motivate me to do it. Otherwise, I hate it and don't do well at all. As an illustration, I was interested in Geometry and made math honor society in high school. 3 years later, after courses of alegra and trig (so pointless, IMO) I had to take remedial college math. In grad school, I was interested again because I saw how math and stats applied to people in my field - aced those classes with A's. I have to see the connection to the RW or forget it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would not call myself a mathematician at all, but I'll give myself some credit and say I am above average. I did very well in math in HS, took the advanced classes, and was always one of the top students in the class. I actually used to like math simply because it came easily. By the time I got to Pre-calculus in high school, I had lost interest in math & science. My obsession with art/music/literature took precedence over anything else. I studied design in college, and the required math courses for that major were a piece of cake.

Also, around the time I lost interest in math and science in HS, my teachers got annoyed with me. I still did well and got good grades, but they told me they could tell I was just floating along. I think for an INFP, if something loses importance to us, we'll never reach our full potential for it. We'll do the bare minimum to get by. I'm possibly better at math than say, poetry, but I'd much rather be a poet than a mathematician.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Math was pretty easy for me to learn, especially in elementary school, when English was probably the toughest subject I learned, being that I didn't attend elementary school that regularly, and the fact that it was a second language.

I wouldn't say I'm pro at math, but I can pick up on it pretty well.. minus the minor flaws in details when calculating long problems by hand. :huh:

I'm more comfortable with math, and remembering things visually, if it correlates in any way..

Decon

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w1
I would say above average. I was doing high school algebra by the time I was 12, and was into cars and science and Stuff. But at about age 13, I looked at my life and realised that I didn't want to keep up what I was doing.(Of course, I was grappling with what it meant to be human, and how one defines a person, and if humanity even exists at all. (Thank the Matrix Trilogy for that thought.)) So since then, I've been floating around, trying to figure out what I want to do. Does that answer your question?

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've always been good with numbers in general. It's like we're friends that just "get" each other, if that makes sense. I've always preferred Algebra and Calculus... but I've neglected math since I had to take so little while in college.

Roflcopter

MBTI Type
ENFP

so please answer the poll (and of course it should be your personal impression - paired with your math grades in school, college etc.)

So, are here some other NF mathematicians?

Like (very) talented for math.
Because it's a bit confusing for me my math talent because even of tests my T functions are (Ti,Te) on (6,8) places... so...... and I have HUGE dislike towards thinking, logic..

I've been on many math competitions and it's funny how I remember (before knowing for MBTI) that I sometimes messed up some answers with using F instead T; even when I knew answer I just "felt" this sounds better - and I answered it wrongly. :D
okay, that was in 2% of cases but that were noticable nuances for me.

I think Mondo is also NF-mathematician...
Any others???

I'm like this too, I just put it down as having a high IQ and being intelligent in general :D

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
math was my best subject and i have an affinity for numbers in general......better than english historically. however, i'm better at writing now than i am at math now. but Ni and Fe are left-brained functions, supposedly, according to lenore thompson (Truth-and-Language Exegesis) so i guess that's why.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Aced algebra. Had no clue what I was doing in Geometry and Algebra II. Completely failed Statistics.

Yeah, I think I suck at math. :D

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Interesting.
Since a month ago, I have learned that I'm definitely an NT.. however, I know many NF's who are gifted at math.

I don't think math ability is related to personality type so much. Rather, interest in math could be related to personality type.

For instance, it's highly probable that if you take a random INTJ and random ESFP with identical math ability that the INTJ would be more curious and interested in mathematics..

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It isn't a natural thing for me to be doing....but I would say I was above average, but not talented. I have to try too hard. As an engineering friend once said numbers quite clearly are not my friends. Much better at stats. I did that up until my third year of university....I opted out of a Chemistry degree, because of my irrational fear of maths, and fear of brain hemmorhage.
My maths teacher at school, however felt I had a bit of psychological block, rather than an inability to do math...I sometimes wonder myself. By the time I got to high school, I certainly had devolped deflective behaviours from my mother's inferiority complex, that may well have been one of them.

Chloe

Interesting.
Since a month ago, I have learned that I'm definitely an NT.. however, I know many NF's who are gifted at math.

I don't think math ability is related to personality type so much. Rather, interest in math could be related to personality type.

For instance, it's highly probable that if you take a random INTJ and random ESFP with identical math ability that the INTJ would be more curious and interested in mathematics..

Oh, no, I think it is linked. I think if you take random NTs and random NFs you'll find much more NTs talented at math, I would say at least 10x more NTs.
I was in Math competitions on National/European level for few years...which usually lasted for 5-6 days in some town on coast, so 25 best kids from across the country from every generation were there -100 people from highschool all together, and most of them were NTs. Like more than 70%. I was very different from most of them because an F.
There were many girls (like 1/4 or 1/3) and among girls was a little bit more Fs, but girls were also more NTs.
It was not because NTs show more interest in math, because in this competitions I'd say it's 90% talent and less than 10% work.

and I think there were at least 80% Ns.

so NT was very represented.
E/I was balanced - half people E half I, or even more Es.
P/J also - I'm not sure.

I think from Es there were most ENTJs...

You have to take into consideration that many NFs bad at math skipped this poll, but probably being an N is already bust in math, and nobody is 100% Fs, many people are borderline T

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I know some NFs who are excellent at math. It just goes to show that when you totally take the human element out of something, you guys make halfway decent NTs.

P

Phantonym

I don't really suck at math but I am below average at it because math has never really interested me. Sure, I'm good at some parts of it, I like numbers :laugh: But I've actually tried really hard to forget the math classes I had in high school. Still gives me the creeps after all these years :horor: