• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] On INFPs

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are there any good sides to being an INFP? All I can find is that INFPs are good writers and are perfectionists... I have neither of those qualities, nor do I seemingly have any of the good qualities of the INFP (whatever they are). I know they can understand people, and can be tolerant and everything... but what's the point?

Manimal

MBTI Type
INFP
most of those descriptions should be taken with a grain of salt, there is a really good thread around here somewhere about non typical infp's is a good read. i was going to link it but i couldn't find it.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
most of those descriptions should be taken with a grain of salt, there is a really good thread around here somewhere about non typical infp's is a good read. i was going to link it but i couldn't find it.

It was right underneath this thread, in the similar threads section: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/8619-non-typical-infps.html

I don't think you are the only INFP who has been a bit thrown by not matching the description properly, especially the warm and fuzzy part. :)

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
We are very genuine in our caring for others, so I think we make pretty good friends (although I might be slightly biased.) :) Also, when we deeply care about something -- an issue, a project of some sort, etc. -- we go after it with great tenacity and have the capacity to do very focused, quality work.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a kind of darkness to us, that the descriptions don't address properly. It's not all bad though.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are there any good sides to being an INFP? All I can find is that INFPs are good writers and are perfectionists... I have neither of those qualities, nor do I seemingly have any of the good qualities of the INFP (whatever they are). I know they can understand people, and can be tolerant and everything... but what's the point?

Type profiles suck.

What's the point of being any type? Good question.

You're only as good of a human as you make yourself. I'd say you measure your "point" by how good of a person you are.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stealing a post I had once made at another forum.

Reasons why it's great being an INFP:

1. A successful relationship is capable of touching my mind, body, soul, and heart. I'll happily pay the price of getting hurt, badly, to experience a depth that few others can.

2. Picking up new concepts is pretty easy. Some are more interesting than others, but if you can tell me how your physics theory relates to something meaningful/interesting to me, I'll be able to pick it up no problem.

3. Change doesn't scare me. In fact, I often embrace it as a new challenge to learn and grow. Life is full of change and uncertainty, so this is a huge plus over many people I know.

4. I can almost always bring a fresh and unique perspective to a team.

5. I'm so passionate about my core values, that I feel invincible when defending them.

6. Knowing more about many people than they know about themselves. The joy of listening to people telling their stories, sharing their lives, and figuring out what makes them tick.

7. Being uncharacteristically detailed oriented on my pet projects. It helps me a be a naturally more well-rounded individual.

8. Sudden rushes of intuition. Ah-hah moments. Connecting things together. Epiphanies!

9. After learning how to calm down my perfectionist ways, still having high standards gives me a chance to have high quality and unique things in my life.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find I relate better to my fellow INFPs than the profiles.

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What I enjoy about being an INFP is that, though I don't have a lot of close friends, those that I know, I know deeply. In ways, I can know them better than they know themselves. From that, I'm able to help them in ways they didn't think of before. I also enjoy being off-beat and viewing the world differently.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll use this as a checklist :D
Stealing a post I had once made at another forum.

Reasons why it's great being an INFP:

1. A successful relationship is capable of touching my mind, body, soul, and heart. I'll happily pay the price of getting hurt, badly, to experience a depth that few others can.
--- Unknown

2. Picking up new concepts is pretty easy. Some are more interesting than others, but if you can tell me how your physics theory relates to something meaningful/interesting to me, I'll be able to pick it up no problem.
--- Yes

3. Change doesn't scare me. In fact, I often embrace it as a new challenge to learn and grow. Life is full of change and uncertainty, so this is a huge plus over many people I know.
---Yes

4. I can almost always bring a fresh and unique perspective to a team.
---Yes

5. I'm so passionate about my core values, that I feel invincible when defending them.
---No

6. Knowing more about many people than they know about themselves. The joy of listening to people telling their stories, sharing their lives, and figuring out what makes them tick.
---No

7. Being uncharacteristically detailed oriented on my pet projects. It helps me a be a naturally more well-rounded individual.
---No

8. Sudden rushes of intuition. Ah-hah moments. Connecting things together. Epiphanies!
---Maybe

9. After learning how to calm down my perfectionist ways, still having high standards gives me a chance to have high quality and unique things in my life.
---No

I don't seem to have the perfectionism going for me, nor do I have this passion thing going on. I wonder if I only have the basic materials required to become a perfectionist... I suppose, before you do anything in a perfectionist way, you probably need to be devoted to doing it. :thinking:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll use this as a checklist :D

I don't seem to have the perfectionism going for me, nor do I have this passion thing going on. I wonder if I only have the basic materials required to become a perfectionist... I suppose, before you do anything in a perfectionist way, you probably need to be devoted to doing it. :thinking:

Feel free to add your own reasons why being an INFP rocks.

Chloe

Healthy INFPs should be excellent people, but too shame that INFPs are often represented with completely unstable women like princess Diana who had bulimia and personality disorders and what not. How this could be representative for ANY type?

and descriptions of INFPs are just idiotic, often offensive to INFPs.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, King-of-Despair, what do you consider your own, personal positive qualities?

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
Darkness? :huh:

... Can anyone expand on this?

There's a TON of darkness. "What if I don't reach what I truly want in the world...what if I can never be with the people I truly love..." and so forth. There's a lot of despair involved too, not just brightness.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's a TON of darkness. "What if I don't reach what I truly want in the world...what if I can never be with the people I truly love..." and so forth. There's a lot of despair involved too, not just brightness.

Interesting... I'm much to bright to despair about myself, I don't care if any of that goes wrong, it sounds rather pessimistic... but maybe the examples aren't tailored for my needs... or maybe it's an enneagram thing... *slaps self*

I long to reach the things I want, but I don't have any sort of despair over it... hmmm

Yes, King-of-Despair, what do you consider your own, personal positive qualities?

I don't have any... that's why I started this thread :D
I guess I can be quite considerate and charming, and I have a rather zany sense of humor (mostly slapstick and randomness, shocking things I find entertaining). I can be very tolerant of people, even when they do something offensive, I usually put it aside. I guess I'm fairly balanced to... as I don't seem to have any bad traits (like aggression, selfishness etc.), the only problems I face is procrastination really. I've proved that I have the potential to make it far, but I can't put in the effort to get there. I have also kind of helped a few people out when they get down (which they frequently do), even though I barely know them.

I can't see much usefulness in that though, how am I supposed to finish a university course with nothing but charm? I need some of this perfectionism I think... it sounds like a potent tool indeed :D

heart

heart on fire
Develop Ne deeper and see what happens. Solitary Walker has some posts on INTP Central that talk about ways to do this.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Develop Ne deeper and see what happens. Solitary Walker has some posts on INTP Central that talk about ways to do this.

I think I already have quite a strong Ne, especially if I can come of as an ENFP/ENTP :), I'm wondering about the Fi benefits more than the Ne.

[add]: oh, and apparently solitary walker is an ass, it's not yet confirmed, but that's just the word on the street ;)

Chloe

[add]: oh, and apparently solitary walker is an ass, it's not yet confirmed, but that's just the word on the street ;)

ass or not, i liked his profiles of enfp and entp. look it up.
especially good about enfps without healthy Fi... and entps i guess the same effect