• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs: Introverted Extroverts??

seeker22

MBTI Type
XNTJ
I think we are.

1) We need to time to recharge/regroup/put the do not disturb sign out lol
2) We often withdraw to "process" or go into our "mind cave"
3) We have a reserved side
4) We have a private side
5) We have a need to go "into ourselves" and can get stuck in our heads/lost in thought
6) We may go MIA for a period of time
7) We have a philosophical/intellectual side

Others?

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
I think it depends on every specific person, but I do identify with all of these. :)

I heard someone once use the term "ambivert" haha, and I think a lot of healthy mature people are like this. They still PREFER one side of the E/I scale, but know how to engage both.

seeker22

MBTI Type
XNTJ
I think it depends on every specific person, but I do identify with all of these. :)

I heard someone once use the term "ambivert" haha, and I think a lot of healthy mature people are like this. They still PREFER one side of the E/I scale, but know how to engage both.

AMBIVERT!!!! THAT'S the word!!!! Thank you!!! :D

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I think we are.

1) We need to time to recharge/regroup/put the do not disturb sign out lol
2) We often withdraw to "process" or go into our "mind cave"
3) We have a reserved side
4) We have a private side
5) We have a need to go "into ourselves" and can get stuck in our heads/lost in thought
6) We may go MIA for a period of time
7) We have a philosophical/intellectual side

Others?

Do you think this is unique to ENFPs as opposed to all extroverts? Are there people who don't need time to recharge or have a reserved/private side?

G

garbage

I'm pretty sure every ENxx type has called itself the "introverted extrovert." At least, I've seen this in "official" type descriptions for ENFP (for reasons you've described), ENTP (for.. similar reasons), and ENFJ (since they concentrate on only a few people).

But that doesn't mean that they're all wrong in their assessment. See also: this.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
Well, my ENFP friend is the definition of an extrovert. When he has a free day, he gets up, goes out, talks to at least 20 people in a day(at least 30 minutes with every one) and comes home late at night. He eats out, drinks out, doesn't have a plan for the day, he just enjoys life and enjoys people. He can tell you at least 10 sentences about everyone at my college because he has talked to every single person.

ENTPs have been called the most introverted of the extroverts, but I haven't heard the same for ENFPs. Sure they can be alone for a couple of hours, but so can everyone.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
ENTPs have been called the most introverted of the extroverts, but I haven't heard the same for ENFPs. Sure they can be alone for a couple of hours, but so can everyone.

Being introverted is not about being alone.

And yeah I can relate to the first post.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Based purely on observation, ENTPs are more introverted than ENFPs could ever be.

I've also noticed that ENFPs aren't good at seeing themselves objectively.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Based purely on observation, ENTPs are more introverted than ENFPs could ever be.

I've also noticed that ENFPs aren't good at seeing themselves objectively.

The tricky thing about observing introversion...is that usually the person in question is isolated. Not saying ENTPs aren't more introverted than ENFPs, just pointing it out.

And you might be right, I don't know what what "seeing myself objectively" is even supposed to mean.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Sure it isn't, but introverts have a much higher tolerance for being alone.

My point being that ENXPs might have a much higher tolerance for being alone than the rest of extroverts.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I always find it funny why Es start to talk about how introverted they are.
But you can claim this because standards are subjective.
From my position at things you are far away from real introversion.

seeker22

MBTI Type
XNTJ

Ok well back up your argument then - I'm curious - what does "real introversion" mean to you?

To me, extroversion/introversion concerns how one gathers their energy when depleted.

G

garbage

I choose to read it as.. "among those labeled 'Extroverts' by MBTI, we are the most similar to traditionally labeled introverted behavior." Which isn't too far from the truth.

See also: this.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I choose to read it as.. "among those labeled 'Extroverts' by MBTI, we are the most similar to traditionally labeled introverted behavior." Which isn't too far from the truth.

I am aware of that. It is just that from my subjective position you simply can't be considered introverts.

Ok well back up your argument then - I'm curious - what does "real introversion" mean to you?

To me, extroversion/introversion concerns how one gathers their energy when depleted.

Here is how real introvert looks like.

I have 0 close friends in real life.
I am not close to my family even if we don't hate each other at all.

I never got drunk or high with someone. Since I don't do socializing much and I don't do drugs and alcohol.

I am in mid 20s and I have never been in love or making out with some girl.

There are weeks in my life when I haven't talked to anyone.
I don't even have social phobias how much socially insensitive I am.

In high school I was known as "the Ghost" (for a reason) and I have never sleept over at some guy/girl that was going to highschool with me. .
The last real party I was on was new year 2006.
My future carrer is geology what means I will have to do alot of walking though "wildness" and in many cases alone.

However I don't have no regrets.

But I have started to change myself since this is becoming pointless even by my standards.

BBethAnneBB

Ah! :thumbup: I have something to call myself now. Thank goodness. :alttongue:

Do you think this is unique to ENFPs as opposed to all extroverts? Are there people who don't need time to recharge or have a reserved/private side?

Well, I know some people who don't EVER seem to slow down. I wonder what their daily caffeine intake is? :thinking: I mean, maybe it's just me, but I can't stand being around people for a long period of time. Does that make me an exception as an ENFP?

I am aware of that. It is just that from my subjective position you simply can't be considered introverts.

Here is how real introvert looks like.

My future carrer is geology what means I will have to do alot of walking though "wildness" and in many cases alone.

Well, that's why we're extroverts, yes? But some of us do tend to have introverted tendencies.

There can't be a "real introvert", just like there can't be a real definition of "sane".

I hope to be a forensic scientist. Which means I'll be working alone in a crime lab behind the scenes most of the time.

Thus, I think your view on extroverts is a little too generalized. But then again, maybe it's just me?