• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFP versus ISFP

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm sure you guys have already discussed this, but I really can't figure it out. I read this somewhere:

INFP get abstract and start talking about religion, philosophy, or speaking in metaphors, the ISFP usually furrows their brow and looks like they're trying to decipher a foreign language, or like they're thinking: "and remind me, again, why this is interesting?"

And that made sense to me, but what else? Beyond ISFPs being more hands-on and all. How do you tell an N versus an S in an IXFP? Cause I'd think it would be a big difference.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure you guys have already discussed this, but I really can't figure it out. I read this somewhere:

And that made sense to me, but what else? Beyond ISFPs being more hands-on and all. How do you tell an N versus an S in an IXFP? Cause I'd think it would be a big difference.

Kinda hard to verbalize, but one point is that ISFPs tend to "putter around" a lot more, floating from one tangible activity to the next and dabbling in it... guys especially. INFPs tend to do this with abstracted interests, so a lot of it is internalized and you don't see it, you just get a sense of where they wander when you actually talk to them.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ agreed; my good ISFP friend is always working on her art, her garden, her permaculture projects ... all things that are tangible in the here and now in the real world.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
isfps won't wander with their eye contact so much while talking to/with another, whereas infps do very much.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
My ISFP friend always notices details around her immediately. Crooked pictures on the wall, a hole in someone's sweater, etc. Unless it's a misspelling on a sign or something, I rarely notice anything about the physical world around me.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs are likely to love thinking about things that might happen, whereas the ISFP tends to grow impatient with such conversations pretty quickly.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I rarely notice anything about the physical world around me.

That's a good one, I don't think many ISFPs would say that, that's like anti-ISFP.

I agree with what has been said in this thread so far, of course both types can lean both ways it's a matter of how sustained is their interest.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
how much tertiary Ni do you see from isfps? are infps and isfps pretty much the same correlative enneagram types? are infp types much better at creating characters than isfp types in music, books, film? any clues on style/dress? openness? niceness? speech patterns and the pausing? being concrete when telling stories of the past or discussing previous experiences? what they pull out when asked an open-ended question? where does Si show up in infp vs Se in isfp?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Conversation between me (iNFP) and ex-boyfriend (iSFP):

Me: blah blah blah, society, blah blah blah, politics, blah blah blah, psychology

Him: Do you always have to be some damn analytical about everything?