• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How do NF's talk to S's in general?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"How do NF's talk to S's in general?"

It seems the easiest way to answer this would be to ask NFs who have done it successfully.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Nice post-
Great point.

(now that we're thoroughly off topic :) )
But I think that's a good way of trying to explain the importance of both S and N without making stereotypes for either.
Thanks.:)
A) I take nothing personally
B) You obviously failed to read the part where I stated that the abstract comes into play and is extremely useful, however the world is primarily concrete
A) You accused him of stereotyping, which is not what he was doing. If you were not taking it personally, you would've seen that.
B) Care to back that up? I've already provided a good bit of reasoning that contradicts what you're saying. 'Concrete' and 'abstract' are just two sides of the same coin. Just because one cannot directly observe the abstract properties of the world doesn't mean that their presence is somehow lesser.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I hung out with an ESTP and ENFJ yesterday. I didn't have any trouble communicating with the ESTP at all. No filtering, no censorship, nothing. In fact, it took several hours of exposure to him before I even figured out he was an S-type.

Unique

Oh for f**k sake the fairy land thing was a joke. Haven't you seen the motivational posters? They were made by N's anyway so its hardly my joke to begin with.

As for N's trying to make out like this world isn't primarily concrete, I got one thing only to say to you, touch the chair you are sitting in. Feels pretty real huh?

Yes the abstract comes in handy, yes new ideas mostly come from initiatives but no we don't live in a fantasy world, things are concrete.

Why do you think initiatives come here?! As a haven away from S world!

*facepalm*

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Oh for f**k sake the fairy land thing was a joke. Haven't you seen the motivational posters? They were made by N's anyway so its hardly my joke to begin with.

As for N's trying to make out like this world isn't primarily concrete, I got one thing only to say to you, touch the chair you are sitting in. Feels pretty real huh?

Yes the abstract comes in handy, yes new ideas mostly come from initiatives but no we don't live in a fantasy world, things are concrete.

*facepalm*
Yeah, you're obviously not listening to a word I'm saying. That's too bad.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Basically how I talk with anyone--keep in mind that there will always be people different than me. And it would be pretty goddamn boring if everyone agreed with me and held the same views.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

*facepalm*

Well... no...
things are the way that people make of things!
The chair is whatever the chair is to you.
And the chair is whatever the chair is to me..
and the chair is whatever the chair is to an N....

And certainly abstract ideas "come in handy".. because the idea of the chair was abstract to begin with...

Then there was the person who made the chair come to life-. That was an important role, too...

So yes we live in a concrete world with chairs and things... but the concrete world never came without abstract thoughts...

They are all important.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Its like Lauren Ashley mentioned- this thread is pretty ironic. S's and N's having miscommunications.

I think that "communication" involves sending a message to another person that should be properly received. If the communicator hasn't sent his/her message in words that do not properly describe what he/ or her is trying to say- in language that isn't articulate enough- (describing the abstract or concrete) than the receiver has less of an ability to understand. There are other reasons for miscommunication- the person receiving is not intelligent enough, unwilling to listen for personal or emotional reasons- etc. I don't think that this has to do with an S/N divide. It has to do with many many other factors. And if someone really really wants to send the message, than perhaps they should think about the reason that it is not getting through. If someone wants to receive a message- same deal. I guess that's my beef with the OP-.... and much of the rest of this thread...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think a lot of that conflict has to do with the opposite typing thing though... There tends to be a large communication gap between opposite types (typically, not always though).

On the contrary, I get along just fine and have zero communication problems with Unique, and I'm INFP. NF and S communication there is flawless.

It's less about NF and S and more type specific when it comes to communication problems from what I've seen.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I did but because my opinion is different than your own you choose to see it that way

THATS too bad
You couldn't possibly more wrong about that.:rolli: But hey, if that's what you want to believe, then so be it. I'm done wasting my time on you.

Unique

I think a lot of that conflict has to do with the opposite typing thing though... There tends to be a large communication gap between opposite types (typically, not always though).

On the contrary, I get along just fine and have zero communication problems with Unique, and I'm INFP. NF and S communication there is flawless.

It's less about NF and S and more type specific when it comes to communication problems from what I've seen.

This!, and yes typically I don't get along with my opposite though there has been some exceptions

Ah thank god the cat comes in here with some common sense :D

Typically I've had great relations with INFPs, ENFPs and some ENFJs and don't have communication difficulties

Its like Lauren Ashley mentioned- this thread is pretty ironic. S's and N's having miscommunications.

It's disheartening to me that you see it this way, though I'm unaware of if you read my post earlier stating that I believe its more likely communication problems in this thread have been from type opposites rather than a N/S misunderstanding

Unique

Well... no...
things are the way that people make of things!
The chair is whatever the chair is to you.
And the chair is whatever the chair is to me..
and the chair is whatever the chair is to an N....

And certainly abstract ideas "come in handy".. because the idea of the chair was abstract to begin with...

Then there was the person who made the chair come to life-. That was an important role, too...

So yes we live in a concrete world with chairs and things... but the concrete world never came without abstract thoughts...

They are all important.

You are only aware of the chair from using your 5 senses

My point is that everyone must use sensing to operate in the world however you don't need to use intuition to operate in the world

Somehow all the overly emotional people have taken that as me having a go at NFs or making out like they are useless when I don't know how many times I've said how useful and needed they really are

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I don't get along well with S's. Mostly because they are too simple to understand my meaning.

Sensor see, sensor in interperet literally.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My point is that everyone must use sensing to operate in the world however you don't need to use intuition to operate in the world

Somehow all the overly emotional people have taken that as me having a go at NFs or making out like they are useless when I don't know how many times I've said how useful and needed they really are

Anyone with half a brain can realize how completely false the first statement is, so I won't bother providing reasons why it is such.

Your second statement seems to contradicts the first. Is intuition needed in the world or not?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread is ridiculous. :D

Everybody have a cookie. *offers cookies*

Oh so now you think that S's will be bribed with cookies!!!

This is outrageous.

Just cause i'm an ESFP doesn't mean that I can be bribed with delicious homemade mouth watering delectable treats... (eyes cookie)

But I don't want to hurt your feelings.. so i'll take one... but not cause I want one. But because you're an F an you'll cry if I don't. But not because I want to...

(takes two.)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

Not really, using only sensing, a red light is just a light, same as any other light including green ones. It takes intuition to interpret the symbolic meaning of a red light at a set of traffic lights.

With intuition red means stop, without intuition red just means red.

Of course these are intuition and sensing in their most basic form but that is how I interpret them.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Not really, using only sensing, a red light is just a light, same as any other light including green ones. It takes intuition to interpret the symbolic meaning of a red light at a set of traffic lights.

With intuition red means stop, without intuition red just means red.

Of course these are intuition and sensing in their most basic form but that is how I interpret them.

:yes:

These are the most basic forms of Intuition. Which is why there's such a strong bias towards N. People here are very much aware of having these basic forms, and can even take these forms a little further if they think on it (which they're often challenged and encouraged to do here, while this is often discouraged in other environments). The problem is that we don't have a good "feel" for how much N can be expected from an S, and S just gets taken for granted as stuff that's common to everyone: memory, and perceiving things like color and beauty.

The common idea of N includes S, but the common idea of S fails to incorporate N to the same degree. There are enough "empty souls" and shallow, impulsive people in the world that people feel a need to attribute this to something like type. Truth be told, these people with such unhealthy S behavior (if it even has anything to do with S) are probably as likely to be Ns acting out their shadow as actual sensors. It could also be unhealthy group dynamics, upbringing, psychological problems unrelated to type, cultural clash, etc...

This is what I consciously believe, but sometimes the old stereotypes slip out in my gut reactions.