• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Odd observation

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I've been reading through some of the What's My Type threads and just general threads that include a question between two types or functions. It seems like most responses to those questions tend to classify the questioner as a different type than the responder. Ps responding to a P/J question seem more likely to assign J to the questioner; NTs guess most NXs are NFs, etc...

Is is because...

1. Most people see themselves as a typical representative of their type, so they notice differences from themselves and assume the questioner is The Other?

or...

2. Some people instinctively defend the uniqueness of their type?

I'm thinking maybe the first explanation is more likely than the second. There's also the strong possibility that the whole observation is off - I only read through a handful of threads, so it's possible that it's more of a coincidence than a pattern.

Anyone else notice this though? Anyone know of any old threads that address it?

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm thinking maybe the first explanation is more likely than the second. There's also the strong possibility that the whole observation is off - I only read through a handful of threads, so it's possible that it's more of a coincidence than a pattern.

Are the two explanations mutually exclusive?

G

garbage

"I don't think the way this person does, and I'm a [type]. Surely, then, this person isn't [type]."

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yea, I noticed that, too.
When people see that someone is typing someone else the same as their own type, I think they feel personally misunderstood- like accused of acting like the person they are trying to type.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I noticed exactly the same! At the moment, I know someone who I don't like at all. In fact, I totally HATE that person. So I decided to type her and after a long time I realized she was ENFP, just like me. She had to be an ENFP, because she fit almost every single thing they say about ENFP's (except she isn't friendly and stuff). So I tried to think about things that made her some other type, but I couldn't find anything! I felt really ashamed about my type, so I tried to turn mine in something else as well, but that was kind of impossible, because every test I make says I'm an ENFP. But quite recently I found a solution! I decided to split every type into two different types: the stupid and the awesome version. So now I put that girl into the stupid ENFP category and then, of course, I put myself in the awesome category. So now I don't have to be embarrassed anymore, because we are two different types now after all! :D

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I like your solution. Plus, it would add color to some of the threads. When someone is trying to figure out their type, someone with more experience could jump in and say, "I think your [insert their personal type]. But, unlike me, you seem more like the stupid kind."

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Part of it is using negative qualities to type people. "So-&-So is lazy & bland" and then people go "Ohhh, So-&-So must be an XXXX!" and then the XXXX types feel offended, as if their type is associated with being lazy & bland.
It's natural to be defensive of something you identify closely with.

I sometimes like breaking a type down into functions because I think it helps dispel the stereotypes a bit, as you can view the type profile simply as a caricature and then see how individuals use their dominant functions. In that sense, "So-&-So" may not fit the XXXX profile (or maybe they do...), but certain qualities they possess may show that they prefer certain functions.

You also hear people say (including me :tongue:) that a person is likely an "unhealthy" XXXX, that way it's unoffensive to the other XXXX types, haha.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Part of it is using negative qualities to type people. "So-&-So is lazy & bland" and then people go "Ohhh, So-&-So must be an XXXX!" and then the XXXX types feel offended, as if their type is associated with being lazy & bland.
It's natural to be defensive of something you identify closely with.

This would make sense, but I also see it when the qualities being discussed are neutral or even positive. It's like people don't want to "share" their type with others, even if they have nothing against the person they're typing, or the qualities in question.

You also hear people say (including me :tongue:) that a person is likely an "unhealthy" XXXX, that way it's unoffensive to the other XXXX types, haha.

Ahh... the politically correct way of calling someone the "stupid kind of XXXX." :)

G

garbage

Granted, in the Enneagram system, there are levels of healthiness for types. It actually makes sense to include them, if self-discovery and self-improvement is your goal.

Not so much for the business context that MBTI aims for..

..but, hey, in applying MBTI to the personal realm, it makes sense to classify people as "stupid" or "awesome." ;)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've been reading through some of the What's My Type threads and just general threads that include a question between two types or functions. It seems like most responses to those questions tend to classify the questioner as a different type than the responder. Ps responding to a P/J question seem more likely to assign J to the questioner; NTs guess most NXs are NFs, etc...

Is is because...

1. Most people see themselves as a typical representative of their type, so they notice differences from themselves and assume the questioner is The Other?

or...

2. Some people instinctively defend the uniqueness of their type?

Anyone else notice this though? Anyone know of any old threads that address it?

I'ld say cause people aint machines. (as in I agree with what greed said, cant put it that way tho :))

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
It’s all about the associations. People don’t want to be associated with things they find irritating or undesirable. So the negative descriptions in those threads aren’t going to draw a lot of people to type them as the same type as themselves. On the other hand, the reverse is often true in the threads trying to type celebrities. There are a large number of posts there where people seem eager to claim a desirable person as being the same type as them.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I noticed exactly the same! At the moment, I know someone who I don't like at all. In fact, I totally HATE that person. So I decided to type her and after a long time I realized she was ENFP, just like me.

We often dislike the things about others that are our own weaknesses reflected. Just a thought to ponder ...

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
So then I'd be partying all the time and then I'd try toruin other peoples lives because I think that they shouldn't be able to have what I can't have? Jeez.