• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Have you ever had a psychic reading?

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't think the future is set in stone, so I see no need for psychic readings. I keep remembering Miss Cleo and the entire psychic reading thing becomes sour in my mouth.

I'm very amused to see that I'm not the only person who does tarot to settle their thoughts in the present. We are a weird breed.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Fate is just the ultimate choose your own adventure book.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm fairly intuitive myself and, yes, I have had psychic readings. I wouldn't suggest the ones over telephone, but seeing a psychic in person can be quite accurate. One knew that I was going to travel a couple of years before I actually did it, and I've had several others be pretty accurate about my present or past.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've had a few done, since my mom is into the spirituality stuff and she has friends, so they were free. They seemed promising at first when I was there and getting it done. I took notes on them and nothing that they said came true/has come true, even the things that were said to come true in the "near future" (and this was about 5 months ago). However skeptical I am of it, I'm still keeping those notes and will check for consistencies in my life, just in case. :yes: It won't do any harm, even though a part of me believes it's BS.

I don't think the future is set in stone, so I see no need for psychic readings.

Pretty much this. Some of the things that were talked about in the readings had changed drastically since then, so nothing she said could possibly happen.

Fairy...

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I actually had my palm read once. The palm reader was pretty spot on when analysing personality traits and tendencies. This was the majority of the reading. She also made a few predictions - long term ones, like marriage, kids, travel etc. I'm not sure about it all though....

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The future changes depending on the decisions you take in life, so it woulds tand to reason that some things won't come true. the only ones that usually stick around are big events that you cannot circumvent easily.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The future changes depending on the decisions you take in life, so it woulds tand to reason that some things won't come true. the only ones that usually stick around are big events that you cannot circumvent easily.

What makes you think that any of these methods can show you anything ?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
empirical evidence :D
No seriously, I was raised in a sceptic family of pseudo scientists, so I did have a great deal of sceptiscism when I tried out tarot myself. I've just found it to be useful.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
empirical evidence :D
No seriously, I was raised in a sceptic family of pseudo scientists, so I did have a great deal of sceptiscism when I tried out tarot myself. I've just found it to be useful.

But then your reasoning to meddle with tarot is solely to open your mind, a source of inspiration to achieve insights that you would not have achieved without suc inspiration. But not based on anything supernatural or hocus pocus stuff.

Right?

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
I've always wanted to see a psychic but for some reason, my gut instinct is telling me not to. I think this is either because in my subconscious I think it is bull, or because I feel it would go against my internal locus of control.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But then your reasoning to meddle with tarot is solely to open your mind, a source of inspiration to achieve insights that you would not have achieved without suc inspiration. But not based on anything supernatural or hocus pocus stuff.

Right?

:D

That depends on your definition of hocus pocus and supernatural. Those in the trade know that this kind of stuff is anything but supernatural. In fact, it's all very much natural. Just there are bits and pieces that we don't know yet how they work. Doesn't mean they don't work though. And since we lack understanding, sometimes it's hard to gauge how to effectively work something and if it works at all.

If you ask each tarot reader or psychic what exactly makes it work, you will get a different explanation every time. Some believe that it is in fact divine power at work, others believe that it is our own consciousness that is trying to talk to us, and there are all kinds of explanations inbetween.

If you ask each witch you encounter what magic is, you will get the same result. But I doubt any of them will say it's 'supernatural' in the traditional Holidwood sense.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I used to get tarot card readings. I got a palm reading for $5 that was a total sham. The woman operated out of her apartment (legal?) on top of some stores. She was coming out of the kitchen with her toddler child when I rang the doorbell. She literally repeated from rote memory something. Other palm readers have also tried to swindle me with their "you have a curse on you" or "you have to cleanse your aura" up-sale gimmick where they try to get you to spend more and more money on ever more involved "rituals" and readings. This is in the states in DC and NYC.

I've gotten my astrological/fortune told in east asia where it's more popular.

My fortune through astrology is usually pretty similar - supposedly I attract money and spend it just as fast and my mom saw a fortune teller who said that I would be living a hedonistic life, going out all the time, partying, and "having lots of sex". I was MORTIFIED when my MOTHER told me this. MORTIFIED. I think my mom was excited for me though, HAHA HAHA. :MORTIFIED: :doh:

Other things people have told me:

1) Don't get married too young (this was practical advice the female fortune teller seemed to be giving away for free, lol)

2) You are prone to unrequited love (eff you fortune teller!! eff you!! LOL)

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have gone a couple times as a joke or with friends. I avoid it now because every time I go they tell me I am going to get really sick in middle age and might not make it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
:D

That depends on your definition of hocus pocus and supernatural. Those in the trade know that this kind of stuff is anything but supernatural. In fact, it's all very much natural. Just there are bits and pieces that we don't know yet how they work. Doesn't mean they don't work though. And since we lack understanding, sometimes it's hard to gauge how to effectively work something and if it works at all.

If you ask each tarot reader or psychic what exactly makes it work, you will get a different explanation every time. Some believe that it is in fact divine power at work, others believe that it is our own consciousness that is trying to talk to us, and there are all kinds of explanations inbetween.

If you ask each witch you encounter what magic is, you will get the same result. But I doubt any of them will say it's 'supernatural' in the traditional Holidwood sense.

In the case this is not a joke of some kind I will say you need a lession of critical thinking. I am saying this with good intentions.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And you need one in openmindedness but we already knew that about each other :)

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
i have never had a psychic reading. something about 'telling fortunes' for money brings out the skeptic in me.. i understand people need to survive, but if someone is some sort of special intuitive or has a sixth sense or whatever you want to say, you'd figure they would value and choose not to exploit their gift and instead use it to find another way to put dinner on their table..plus, telling the future sounds hokey to me..there are likelihoods and possibilities, of course, but what is definite.. and how can a stranger discern these for us? that is unlikely in my eyes..

that said, i think that any a-ha moments with regard to tarot readings and the like generally come from the reader being good at 'feeling people out' and the read-ee being open (that is, without having their guard on) rather than by something magical.. though sometimes this isn't the case..or things are ambiguous as to hows and whys... i do astrological readings for my friends (natal readings, not predictions), so i have more experience being a reader than the other way around..

Snow Turtle

I'd like to believe, to the extent that I've engaged in such things before however there's always the niggling doubt...

Followed by...
a) Would they really be fine with screwing people over?
- Destroys my sense of faith in people.

b) They could be delusional?
- It contradicts all the personal stories that have occured in real life. All coincidences? All fake?

Hmmm. When it comes to the paranormal I don't really base it on empircal evidence, that's like asking to prove consciousness. However I do look for internal consistency within the field, and to see whether it makes sense in terms of religion overall. Most of these readers tend to be backed up with an idea of encomposing consciousness or something like that.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Yes, when I was 18 my friend took me to see some egyptian astrologer who made both of us charts.

To her he told her that the guy who wished to marry her would only bring her pain, so she dumped him after (good thing too, I'd been saying the exact same thing for ages)

To me he looked at me with horror and told me that I would be dead by the age of 21. I'm 32 now. :rofl1:

I must admit it frightened me when he said that, I was still into all of that stuff back then, and I lived in constant fear.

Once I hit 22 I dwelled on what he said constantly and came up with the solution that he meant I, as in who I was, would die by the age of 21 and in some way I did die at that age. Inside anyway, I became an empty shell who in no way resembled the person I had been before I hit 21.

I don't believe that now. He was just wrong.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
The closest thing to a 'psychic reading' that I've ever experienced was when my mind seems to be running parallel to the people's in the room. Often. It happens too many times to be a coincidence.

I believe in invisible mental connections with people, and very subtle forms of 'psychic' energy, but no blatant mumbo-jumbo like predicting the future. There -might- be something to auras, but that's just because it relates to how I lump people into 'hunch feelings' that only can be described with other senses, usually color.

In the end, I guess perceptive INFJs could be thought of as psychic (If not considered plum crazy) by Sensors :D