• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Where to find an INFJ?

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This is why dating is so challenging for me. I don't want to rush into things, and am not in any hurry at all, and then I seem like a bizarre person when I'm not wanting to do something more than once a week, and am the one pulling the reins (because frankly I DON'T know early on whether I really see the potential or not, so I don't want to lead the guy on when ultimately I'm not sure about things yet) and the guy's just left going...

I'm the same way on the outset. I will not open upright away to someone I like. The girl would just have to jump on me and kiss me or something to change my mind on that. Even in my startled (and joyful) response, I'd cover my tracks and make sure I put up a front so that I didn't come across as that was exactly what I'd been hoping for.

Getting to know someone, for me, takes time. I want to make sure that if I'm going to cross the DTR bridge, that it's worth possibly losing a good friend.

Once the bridge is crossed.... I get REALLY serious REALLY fast - often to the detriment of the relationship.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So far, every time I've ignored my gut feeling for this reason, I've been sorry. :( And yet I still question it :rolleyes: (my gut feeling, that is).

Yeah, kind of the same with me. Although for me it's that I pick up on everything the person says/does, and build a composite, or something, and already recognize certain traits that probably wouldn't work in the long run, or that aren't really what I'm wanting in the long term. But a part of me doesn't think it's 'fair' that I write someone off like that after just one date (and I know the guys wouldn't even get it anyway, if I did, since we may have had great conversation throughout the date), so I'll go on a few more, or several more, only to have my suspicions confirmed down the road...or rather, maybe it's that I'm trying to force my heart into something it's not into - trying to rationalize it. So the 'trying it out'/rationalizing thing tends to be futile, and the fact that I'm rationalizing at all doesn't bode well, and always ends up being a bad sign. If my intuition/feelings aren't on board, I can't say they ever get on board.

Finally, I may just try things even though I don't feel it because I so rarely meet anyone that I'm really drawn to, on all levels, so I start thinking I'm being too picky and/or am totally clueless and inept at dating in general (which I think I am). I start thinking I'm doing something wrong and then might try it out with someone I'm not completely enamored with. Not that that ever works either. It ends up feeling false.

Arg.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, the ENTP's are as unshy and pushy as the INFJ's are shy and unpushy. So, I think it's more ENTP/INFJ curiosity with the ENTP's running around turning over rocks and yelling into dark places.

QFT. Us INFJs like our rocks and caves.

lane777

nevermore
Yeah, kind of the same with me. Although for me it's that I pick up on everything the person says/does, and build a composite, or something, and already recognize certain traits that probably wouldn't work in the long run, or that aren't really what I'm wanting in the long term. But a part of me doesn't think it's 'fair' that I write someone off like that after just one date (and I know the guys wouldn't even get it anyway, if I did, since we may have had great conversation throughout the date), so I'll go on a few more, or several more, only to have my suspicions confirmed down the road...or rather, maybe it's that I'm trying to force my heart into something it's not into - trying to rationalize it. So the 'trying it out'/rationalizing thing tends to be futile, and the fact that I'm rationalizing at all doesn't bode well, and always ends up being a bad sign. If my intuition/feelings aren't on board, I can't say they ever get on board.

Finally, I may just try things even though I don't feel it because I so rarely meet anyone that I'm really drawn to, on all levels, so I start thinking I'm being too picky and/or am totally clueless and inept at dating in general (which I think I am). I start thinking I'm doing something wrong and then might try it out with someone I'm not completely enamored with. Not that that ever works either. It ends up feeling false. Arg.

What do you mean by the bolded? Could you expound?

To everything else you said... once again, I strongly relate. You're starting to wig me out, actually :unsure:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
For the original questions of where INFJs are found:

Anywhere they can observe people and decide whether they wish to/feel safe to interact or not, while having a solitary activity close at hand for back up. (Coffee shop while reading or grading papers, library etc.) Generally they like being around people, but they would like to decide in what way and for how long. A party is no good unless they are reasonably sure they will feel comfortable with, welcomed by and interested in enough people to enjoy it (you can't just read if you get bored and it is awkward to leave right after arriving). Sports are okay, but they tend to like the kind where they won't let anyone down if they mess up (badminton, tennis etc, rather than volleyball). Musical events are a good place to observe people, but which one can seem busy in their own world if preferred.

Also anywhere that will allow them to participate in something they believe in, but with an element of autonomy. That is why many are teachers or counsellors. While being cooperative, they also have a specific idea of how they like things to turn out, so most don't love commitees unless they have some control over the outcome and just have people they trust to delegate work to.

As for shyness with other people, I don't think it is exactly shyness. There are a couple of elements at work. One is a hypersensitivity to people's reactions which makes them very sensitive to other people seeming busy, impatient, disinterested etc. Often they err on the side of mistaking other's insecurities as dislike or disinterest and quit any attempts at closeness at the first glimmer of unreceptivity. They need to be sure they are welcome before they advance or else they need to perceive the other person as being less confident or comfortable, which puts them at ease to approach because they would be helping.

That hypersensitivity extends to the world of ideas so that if there does not seem to be receptivity, they go no further with expressing what matters to them. You only are allowed into the inner chambers of their heart if you have been respectful of the other rooms you have been allowed into along the way.

Many people mistakenly believe that they share the same views simply because the INFJ will not directly disagree or probe into expressed opposite views because they do not want to cause distress to the other person. If the other person were to directly ask though for the INFJ's opinion or belief about something, they would be more than ready to share it. They are good at empathizing and so they also do not dismiss the other's point of view as easily as some types will. They make other people feel understood and so people tend to talk about their own problems and opinions without getting around to asking about the INFJ's. The infj doesn't realize that others often do not take rejection of their opinion or views as a personal rejection and sometimes even try on other views to see how they hold up when discussed! Debating just for sport is often taken very personally, although debating a truly held belief is okay.

For activities, they want to observe until they are sure that they would not cause themselves public embarrassment by participating. They want to feel some level of competence before exposing themselves to other's comments or opinions (remember that E comments often do not get run through an internal filter first).

The other reason they may seem shy is that there are very few people that they really connect with. They can, but don't enjoy extended periods of small talk, don't have much to say to a large group of people, and want to discuss ideas with someone who is interesting to them and shows some interest in their ideas as well. This greatly limits the pool of people they look forward to interacting with, even though they do like people.

Sometimes they are busy observing as well as overanalyzing what they should say or do (they have an excess of internal filters), which comes across as being judgmental. It is more like figuring out what category to file people in so they know how to interact. They are more than happy to refile people in a different folder or even filing cabinet if new information comes to light. This filing system helps them decide what the person would like to talk about, how they would likely react, what information could be shared with them, and what sort of relationship could ensue.

I cannot speak for all INFJs, but this has been my experience. Much of what I have found from reading and talking to other INFJs seems to reinforce this. I think this is why I find people without as many filters to make them
(over?)cautious kind of interesting.

JohnDoe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w7
For the original questions of where INFJs are found:

Anywhere they can observe people and decide whether they wish to/feel safe to interact or not, while having a solitary activity close at hand for back up. (Coffee shop while reading or grading papers, library etc.) Generally they like being around people, but they would like to decide in what way and for how long. A party is no good unless they are reasonably sure they will feel comfortable with, welcomed by and interested in enough people to enjoy it (you can't just read if you get bored and it is awkward to leave right after arriving). Sports are okay, but they tend to like the kind where they won't let anyone down if they mess up (badminton, tennis etc, rather than volleyball). Musical events are a good place to observe people, but which one can seem busy in their own world if preferred.
Agree
Also anywhere that will allow them to participate in something they believe in, but with an element of autonomy. That is why many are teachers or counsellors. While being cooperative, they also have a specific idea of how they like things to turn out, so most don't love commitees unless they have some control over the outcome and just have people they trust to delegate work to.
I tend to always like to chair the committees :cheese:
As for shyness with other people, I don't think it is exactly shyness. There are a couple of elements at work. One is a hypersensitivity to people's reactions which makes them very sensitive to other people seeming busy, impatient, disinterested etc. Often they err on the side of mistaking other's insecurities as dislike or disinterest and quit any attempts at closeness at the first glimmer of unreceptivity. They need to be sure they are welcome before they advance or else they need to perceive the other person as being less confident or comfortable, which puts them at ease to approach because they would be helping.
At first I said this was nonsense, and then I realized you might be right :p
That hypersensitivity extends to the world of ideas so that if there does not seem to be receptivity, they go no further with expressing what matters to them. You only are allowed into the inner chambers of their heart if you have been respectful of the other rooms you have been allowed into along the way.
Yes, definitely
Many people mistakenly believe that they share the same views simply because the INFJ will not directly disagree or probe into expressed opposite views because they do not want to cause distress to the other person. If the other person were to directly ask though for the INFJ's opinion or belief about something, they would be more than ready to share it. They are good at empathizing and so they also do not dismiss the other's point of view as easily as some types will. They make other people feel understood and so people tend to talk about their own problems and opinions without getting around to asking about the INFJ's. The infj doesn't realize that others often do not take rejection of their opinion or views as a personal rejection and sometimes even try on other views to see how they hold up when discussed! Debating just for sport is often taken very personally, although debating a truly held belief is okay.
Ok, I admit I have a slight NT bias at times, but I definately am not shy about making my viewpoints known, often to the point of getting into trouble. :cry:
For activities, they want to observe until they are sure that they would not cause themselves public embarrassment by participating. They want to feel some level of competence before exposing themselves to other's comments or opinions (remember that E comments often do not get run through an internal filter first).
Yes
The other reason they may seem shy is that there are very few people that they really connect with. They can, but don't enjoy extended periods of small talk, don't have much to say to a large group of people, and want to discuss ideas with someone who is interesting to them and shows some interest in their ideas as well. This greatly limits the pool of people they look forward to interacting with, even though they do like people.
I dislike small talk, seriously. But not like the NT's on the board who hate it, I can do it quite well, its just exceedingly boring. One on one its easy to get around because you can just change the topic to something one of the people finds interesting, but in groups, yuck.
Sometimes they are busy observing as well as overanalyzing what they should say or do (they have an excess of internal filters), which comes across as being judgmental. It is more like figuring out what category to file people in so they know how to interact. They are more than happy to refile people in a different folder or even filing cabinet if new information comes to light. This filing system helps them decide what the person would like to talk about, how they would likely react, what information could be shared with them, and what sort of relationship could ensue.
Ooh, I'm really bad at this :p
I cannot speak for all INFJs, but this has been my experience. Much of what I have found from reading and talking to other INFJs seems to reinforce this. I think this is why I find people without as many filters to make them
(over?)cautious kind of interesting.
All in all, I give it an A-.

Edit: For the record, I sometimes look like an ENTJ depending on what I'm doing when you meet me.

JohnDoe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w7
I just got back from that tennis date. I felt at ease with him and he is a very good opponent. At first he was letting me win, but after sensing my annoyance, he actually brought it and then we had fun. He took losing pretty well. Afterward, we were talking and having a good laugh. He seemed nervous but easygoing. He told me that he knew about MBTI and that he was definitely an INFJ. After finding out I'm an ENTP, he looked deflated. I pushed him to tell me why and he said because he finds us to be flaky, unreachable and "slippery", although he said I didn't seem like that. Then he asked what I wanted to eat. After a long awkward pause, I told him that I had other plans and didn't realize he wanted to hang out all night. At which point, he looked at me like I just confirmed all his fears. I didn't understand that but I guess we're just from 2 different worlds. I still don't get why he was so taken aback. But it was a fun match all the same - we'll see what happens...

I'm going to necroquote this... So did you give any indications that you wanted to see him again before you proceeded to demolish his hopes? If your going to demolish INFJ hopes, first tell us that its not personal if you don't want us to get all paranoid that you hate us and want us to die in a fire and that we are horrible people... Because I'd honestly say that in that circumstances if I asked if we wanted to get something to eat and someone said they had other plans... thats often code for "I thought this date sucked and I want to get out of here."

Edit: also keep in mind that the usually dead accurate INFJ Fe / Empathy does not work very well on people who we are interested in.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
... Because I'd honestly say that in that circumstances if I asked if we wanted to get something to eat and someone said they had other plans... thats often code for "I thought this date sucked and I want to get out of here." ...

But I don't talk in code!

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm going to necroquote this... So did you give any indications that you wanted to see him again before you proceeded to demolish his hopes? If your going to demolish INFJ hopes, first tell us that its not personal if you don't want us to get all paranoid that you hate us and want us to die in a fire and that we are horrible people... Because I'd honestly say that in that circumstances if I asked if we wanted to get something to eat and someone said they had other plans... thats often code for "I thought this date sucked and I want to get out of here."

Edit: also keep in mind that the usually dead accurate INFJ Fe / Empathy does not work very well on people who we are interested in.

...coupled with my oblivion makes for some comical hijinks.

I was clear, but probably not clear enough for someone who leads with emotions. I didn't explain any more than I thought necessary.

But I did text him later to explain that it had nothing to do with him. I also said that he should call me if he wants to see me again. He did. And when he asked me out, I asked him to be clear about the times and he specified that he would like me to keep my evening open "to see where the day takes us", and I did. We had a nice time. But really it's like The Cowardly Lion (him) and the Tin Man (me) trying to hook up. It's pathetic really. I need things direct and simple, he needs things over explained. But so far, so good. :doh:

JohnDoe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w7
...coupled with my oblivion makes for some comical hijinks.

I was clear, but probably not clear enough for someone who leads with emotions. I didn't explain any more than I thought necessary.

But I did text him later to explain that it had nothing to do with him. I also said that he should call me if he wants to see me again. He did. And when he asked me out, I asked him to be clear about the times and he specified that he would like me to keep my evening open "to see where the day takes us", and I did. We had a nice time. But really it's like The Cowardly Lion (him) and the Tin Man (me) trying to hook up. It's pathetic really. I need things direct and simple, he needs things over explained. But so far, so good. :doh:

I think INFJ's get more aggressive as they get to know you... we have to know that your not a horrible person whos out to stab us in the heart :cheese: