• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Shuffling the Archetypes.

NFs, who relate to best?

• I'm an INF, I relate to INTs over ENFs.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • I'm an INF, I relate ENFs over INTs.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I'm an ENF, I relate ENTs over INFs.

• I'm an ENF, I relate INFs over ENTs.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
You know how the temperaments are sorted into the archetypes NT, NF, SP and SJ? I wonder whether this is the best classification scheme.

I've noticed that I have much more in common with INF's than I have with ENTs. I was wondering if INFs feel like they relate more to INTs than they to to ENFs as well.

Should we should have archetypes IN, EN, SP and SJ, instead?

(Keep in mind, I'm asking who you relate to the most, not who you tend to hang around with. I have the most in common with other INTJs, and I hate the little bastards. I spend most of my time with ENTPs and ENTJs, and I have no idea where they're coming from half of the time).

I'm not sure why there are so many typos in the poll. Maybe I'm getting a little fatigued -- I've been writing for nine hours. Option 4 should be INFs over ENTs. If a mod has the ability to fix the fruit of my ineptitude, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You know how the temperaments are sorted into the archetypes NT, NF, SP and SJ? I wonder whether this is the best classification scheme.

I've noticed that I have much more in common with INF's than I have with ENTs. I was wondering if INFs feel like they relate more to INTs than they to to ENFs as well.

Should we should have archetypes IN, EN, SP and SJ, instead?

(Keep in mind, I'm asking who you relate to the most, not who you tend to hang around with. I have the most in common with other INTJs, and I hate the little bastards. I spend most of my time with ENTPs and ENTJs, and I have no idea where they're coming from half of the time).

I'm not sure why there are so many typos in the poll. Maybe I'm getting a little fatigued -- I've been writing for nine hours.

I've often wondered this myself. To be honest, I feel as if I'm often misperceived due to being an NF. I definitely know a few NTs who feel misconstrued due to being NTs.

Myself, for instance... I feel as if I have a lot more in common with the INTx types than INFPs and ENFJs.

I've often thought perhaps we should arrange the groups by dominant function. Maybe have Ns, Ss, Ts, and Fs. Or even make it uniform by going NJ, NP, SJ, SP. Finally, I've also had the idea of going IN, IS, EN, ES.

I actually find it rather oversimplified to have just those four as the main group of types.

I mean, it pretty much gives us stuff like "NTs are intellectuals/geniuses, NFs are philanthropists/idealists, SJs are obedient/traditional, and SPs are reckless/daredevils."

Those stereotypes don't fit all the types under their umbrella equally well. NT is strongly biased towards INTP/Ti, NF is strongly biased towards INFP/Fi, SJ is biased towards ISxJ/Si, and SP is biased towards ESxP/Se. That leaves a lot of people falling in grey areas.

The thing is, those archetypes might not always be the best way of determining how a person's unconscious mind works, or what functions they use, but which archetype a person identifies with inevitably becomes a factor (if only an unconscious one) in determining their type.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah I was thinking of making a thread where we basically experimented with different classification schemes for temperaments.

I think NP, NJ, SP, SJ could work well.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hmm. Maybe just leaving it at the 16 types and not fiddling around with archetypes is best.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm not sure why there are so many typos in the poll. Maybe I'm getting a little fatigued -- I've been writing for nine hours. Option 4 should be INFs over ENTs. If a mod has the ability to fix the fruit of my ineptitude, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Gotcha.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah I was thinking of making a thread where we basically experimented with different classification schemes for temperaments.

I think NP, NJ, SP, SJ could work well.

Yep, I do too. I'd like to see that become more prevalent, so that I could see how the archetypes people use changed and shifted.

I feel like the huge gap in NT/NF is a bit too much for (at least some) dominant Ns, who are likely to be conflicted between T/F. I mean, it's like, you know you're an INJ, finally figure out if you use Te/Fi or Fe/Ti, and all of a sudden, an aspect of your personality you had trouble even noticing at first suddenly lumps you in with either big-time intellectuals, or passionate idealists, when you hardly see yourself as either one.

Granted, INJs are probably the most extreme example in the current system, being the closest to the edges of it.

G

garbage

I tend to think of people in terms of a primary archetype and a secondary one that also colors their personality. I'd consider myself a NF first and NT second, my girlfriend NF/SP, and my best friend NF/SJ. This helps explain some of the difference between us.

Overall, I can definitely see NJ, NP, SJ, and SP working as archetypes.