• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Do INFJs need a "hobby"? If so, what???

sade

Distractions are very much welcomed and my hobbies are ever changing.
I like the 'research and get into it' phase the best.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Asperger's + Ni = lots of odd and eccentric hobbies! :D

My current one is a science fiction universe I am developing, complete with a constructed language spoken 2000 years from now which is descended from English. If I get the ambition I'll write some sci-fi stories for it.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've tinkered with multiple hobbies, but creative writing seems to have chosen me. I find that I get a little down and depressed if I haven't written anything in a few days. It took me several years to accept it as My Hobby, and then a few more years to practice up to a point where I think I can start selling my material. So, hopefully one day my hobby will become my career. (Chances are slim that I'll ever become a full-time author, but being INFJ, I have set it as a goal and I will work toward it, come hell or high water.)

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
Is stalking really that intangible?

Now that's an intriguing hobby. obviously it would have to be someone you didn't have a strong emotional attachment to, as that wouldn't be casual enough for a hobby. but I like the idea of stalking someone for the sake of stalking. I wouldn't have the resolve to do it myself, but I admire anyone who would. Makes for an interesting set of experiences.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
How do you two get along? Seems like ENFP / INFJ is a good match.

Depends when you ask. J/P dynamic was hard to get used to. We both want "perfection" so that's hard. (I always thought he was the only one who did :tongue: ) We can definitely have fun and connect when we aren't dealing with the stress of raising a family.

You (or anyone) can PM if you want more details - people seem to get excited about the enfp/infj dynamic. Cause both are freakazoids maybe?

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i juggle between art, design, music creation and programming. i have an INFJ friend who does the same and excels at the former three. he is lucky though, because his hobby is also his job. i can only dream of such things.

also enxp/inxj are the perfect counterparts. they have the same vision, but they see it from different perspectives. i'm of the belief that they can accomplish astounding things if put well together.

maliafee

My INFJ Mama is a good artist (drawing). But she only doodles while on the phone. Growing up, my mom threw herself into her five kids, and put herself aside, and experienced great depression because she had no hobby or cause or pursuit she could enjoy. In the last five years she has become a pretty accomplished guitarist and practices hours a day. Also, she just got a banjo and says it's even more wonderful. She also loves to write, and work in her garden, and she maintains lots of organic bird feeders and loves to observe and get to know the different birds who visit her yard. She also keeps physically fit. Focusing more on her needs has made her a much happier lady.

My ISTP is obsessed with his motorbike (under his admission - 2am in the garage in his dressing gown sorting out the brakes kind of obsession!) - he says it helps him switch off, helps him recentre and loves the way he is creating something (he is modifying it beyond all recognition)...

I have never really had anything like that - I attempted pastel drawing, knitting, writing a book (I'm 200 pages in), I do exercise but it's not really "fun" it's weight control and interacting with others, I'm trying cooking but I see it more as "survival" than fun. I enjoy studying, reading (usually have about 3 books on the go at once to "reflect my mood") and trying to figure my inner world out (Navel gazing if you like). I love talking to people and pulling apart the universe. Talking to everyone on here is fascinating - never have I encountered so many intelligent and interesting individuals to converse with - sometimes I just read the threads and don't contribute as I love seeing it unfold...

I just don't know whether I could undertake a hobby that would "survive" - I know I would tire of it and it would end up in the back of a cupboard - forgotten... Is this normal for an INFJ? Or is there anything that you do you would like to share?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I dabble in things. My main interest is art and I consider that my life more than a hobby. But on the side, I love to build things and program things for games, read, collect books, research random topics just to know about them, hiking/doing stuff outdoors.

The way it usually works is: art engages one specific area of my brain. Proabably the more intuitive, free-form side. My side interests usually activate areas of my brain that aren't used in art. For example, working on game stuff engages a more critical problem solving area. While doing things outside and building things engages a physical/pragmatic problem solving area.

That's kind of what hobbies are. They're activities that intrest you and satisfy other needs for your brain that your normal daily activities do not satisfy.

Trefle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Kyrielle said:
That's kind of what hobbies are. They're activities that intrest you and satisfy other needs for your brain that your normal daily activities do not satisfy.
Well, I agreed with that. Also I shall join the INFJs who tend to jump from hobbies, albeit mine is like...an order. Or like throwing a dart or something; it has a 'list' to pick from.

I like hearing music and dozing off, dozing off and going straight to la-la land, drawing, cooking (and experimenting here), and to a point, eating. >_>;

Those are the generally more prone to surface. There are lots more like, studying, watching soap operas, learning about people, laughing at people~ and it usually randomly changes based from that.

Pseudonym_Alpha

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well my hobby is astronomy. The universe being infinite and all, thus my hobby is always interesting! This I love. However, I can relate to 99% of what you have said, not everyone HAS to have a hobby. If you so desire a hobby that will keep you entertained, reading (yes), Astronomy (A BIG yes..), but more to the point, a hobby that interests YOU! :D Yes YOU! The person typing the thread! =) The best part about it is, you don't have to worry about telling anyone else (unless its lethal or somethan......errr back on point now..) unless you really really want to :)

I hope I answered your question. I did it the best way I could think of lol. :p

Fairy...

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have a wide range of interests/hobbies. I guess I could say I develop 'obsessive interests' - when I find something interesting, I just want to know more and more about it. I have no problem with 'finding a hobby'.

Nyota

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
I saw the title and totally LOLed. Every significant other of mine/close friends/family tell me I need "a hobby" but I am stuck. The thing I've yet to accomplish is applying my passions to a hobby. So, I am passionate about relationships (how they work, etc.) but I don't know what to do with it.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Can I say the need to be in a leadership/mentor position is one of my hobbies? :p

I have a lot of hobbies. I don't "jump around" from hobby to hobby, but I have a LOT of them so I do go back and forth between them. All of my hobbies somehow relate to my creativity and expression in some sense. I think the only hobby I have that doesn't have to do with my expression is collecting animation cels and that still is all about having a piece of a scene that is beautiful and moved me.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Can I say the need to be in a leadership/mentor position is one of my hobbies? :p

Yep - I actually really enjoy this too.
Seeing people succeed makes my day.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yep - I actually really enjoy this too.
Seeing people succeed makes my day.

I'm way more selfish than that. I just can't follow command. I find too many flaws in other people's systems. I can't rely on someone else because so often they won't have the needed drive to do that part. It's fun to have the responsibility of having to be a leader as well, the added pressure and all.

Yeah, helping others to succeed is good too.. I guess. ;P