• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] xNxP and driving?

Ghetto_mocha

MBTI Type
ENFP
It took me FOREVER to get comfortable on the highway, especially with semis and such... and I may have rolled my first car on the highway when I was playing with my radio 
It took me two times to pass the test; the first time I took it, I didn’t even make it out of the parking lot because I had NOOO clue how to turn on my brights, and that whole knowing which way is left and which way is right thing cramps my style…
I absolutely adore driving around aimlessly by myself, preferably with the assistance of Pink Floyd…
Sometimes it does bore me, so I treat it like a videogame (not Grand Theft Auto) and try to perfect every little move to make sure I pay attention…

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
haha, it took me far longer than it should have to learn to drive, I was rather intent on getting my license as soon as possible, but I couldn't do it as fast as other people. I tend to have trouble keeping a close eye on my speed and controlling my hooning tendencies. Other people around me seem to be granny drivers by nature, and when I drive them places, I become known as the crazy one who wants to go as fast as possible over the hill in a thrill seeking attempt, or to be blissfully unaware of my speed when approaching a dangerously sharp corner. I love driving, I've never flipped my car or anything stupid, but I almost took out a commodore and ended up stuck down the side of the road once, I had no idea that I had a tow rope and sent one of the people helping me out off to get one :doh:.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I had a block against driving for the longest time. It scared me to be out on the highway with people driving as fast as they do. I worried also about zoning out as I sometimes do or being absent minded and how that affect my driving, particularly the passengers with me.

The written part -- I just read the manual and did the test. It wasn't a problem.

The road test -- entirely different ballgame. I passed on my third attempt. My first attempt was done after very little practice and I just needed more.

After the above, I drove with anyone who was willing to ride with me.
On the second attempt, I got really nervous and that just made me give up even before the test was done.
On the third which was soon after the second, my goal was simply to stay calm and get through the test. I still made some mistakes (could not parallel park) but staying calm and completing the test was the main difference. Get a professional lesson. I like to listen to experts and believe what they say so having a professional tell me I was a good driver and ready to get my license was very helpful.

After I got my license, I realized slowly how much I love driving. I love the feeling of being on the open road and concentrating on all the variables right there around me. I often go on a long drive to relax and think through things. It's a liberating feeling. It's also an important skill if you live anywhere but the handful of really large metros in the U.S. Even if it seems difficult, think of it as a necessary skill and one you can build over time with patience, practice and confidence - in that order.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I lost my license when I was 20. I liked driving it was "fun." Driving isn't supposed to be fun which is why I lost my license. I never drank and drove, it was actually because of speeding tickets, mostly on long stretches of country roads in North Carolina at night, where cops apparently hide in the bushes. Of course I could have my license now if I wanted it, but I don't. Car ownership seems to be a big pain at the moment.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
I didn't get my license until I was 18 - and the interstate scared me to death.

I was averaging a accident once every 3 weeks for about 4 months of my life at around 20.

I wrecked a rental. Enterprise has me in the "Book of Hate". lol.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Oh lord, an equalish balance of those who have found it easy, or doable and those who sound pretty much like me lol.

Ah well, hopefully I will get it in the end. I've made flash cards of different driving instructions just to keep the info in my head.

If I can avoid stepping in dog muck on the street inspite of being lost in a fantasy world (and believe me I haven't stepped in it in years lol) then surely i can avoid accidents.......:cheese:

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Before I got my license (here you get your learner's permit at 15), I drove one of these:

2043426780_2a85c0c153.jpg

pulling one of these:

hay-stacker-main.jpg

picking up 1,500-2,000 of these each summer and stacking them in neat rows while in reverse:

2766226764_0998c17607.jpg

Driving a car? Easy, heck I could drive a Transformer! :D

Apsaras

MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w6
/shudder
I still can't really drive properly. Being surrounded by so many people and unable to stop myself whenever I want freaks me out. Depth perception issues don't help, either.

illume

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I'm totally a kick-ass driver. Better than most men and always buy a stick shift, high performance vehicle. Afraid of nothing. Comfortable in huge cities and congested major freeways. I blow everybody off the road!! HeHe .... It has been a joke at the place where I work for years. I'm also good at talking my way out of speeding tickets.

I have always viewed driving as a sportsmanlike activity and rather enjoy it. I would really like to have a bad-ass motorcycle too. :devil:

Vildechaya

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I am INtP/INXP- NT
Driving is always a challenge. I didn't drive untill I was 19 or 20. I failed the test 3 times (parallel parking did me in) :steam: People hate my driving.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
NPs in general are terrifying and reckless drivers. At least, that's what I get from observation and reading this thread. :doh:

I'm mostly joking EXCEPT if you really are that bad at driving you are a risk to everyone else on the road.

It does concern me for real, since I have seen (and experienced) what being overwhelmed and "out of it" do to the driver in terms of driving.

The worst driver I've met is an NP and people (no joke) are scared to get in the car with them. In addition to always getting lost this NP has no awareness - of self, directions, speed, other drivers, traffic, pedestrians, etc.

This NP's disregard for other people on the road and crosswalks is unforgivable and possibly criminal. Examples: they almost hit a pedestrian in a right of way crosswalk and merged onto the highway WAY too prematurely - I seriously thought we were gonna get hit but the SUV behind us but it swerved into the next lane. They've driven erratically and started swerving into the next lane - the car next to us has started honking and swearing at the NP but they are so clueless they don't realize it. They drive WAY too slow (15-20 miles BELOW the speed limit on highways). Drives with their elbows while they write down notes on the steering wheel, ETC.

This NP does things like this routinely like it's not a big deal. Their cluelessness and irresponsibility is infuriating and one of the reasons I have had to minimize contact with them.

Just a rant, I know it's kinda funny to talk about how good or bad we are as drivers, but aside from personality typing, a lot of being a good or bad driver just has to do with being responsible and practicing awareness. Or practicing, period.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
It gets better the more you practice. Basically after 6 months, if you keep applying the same principle that the book tells you for proper driving it'll get to the point where its second nature. I was a pretty nervous driver when i first started (who wasn't), but I kept at it and now i'm pretty decent. Just remember to relax when you drive, you'll make less mistake and have better concentration. Don't worry too much about making mistake, just concentrate on what you need to do. Listen to the person besides you in case you forget to do anything, and remember to apply it the next time the situation arises.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I drive without even thinking about it, that's how easy it is to me. I focus on the road and stuff, but I'm not cognitively thinking about doing the driving. I think everyone gets to that point eventually; you don't even think, the car just moves. It's not as complicated as it sounds, and once you reach a certain speed, you only need to barely move the steering wheel (and I mean only barely; like half an inch) to get the car to follow curves and the like. You'll be fine :) I did very well after a month or so of bumpiness.

Do make sure you pay attention to details though. I hit a patch of mud while taking a curve just a little too fast, and next thing you know.. I'm on an embankment... this was back when I first started driving.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Odd.. I found driving quite easy after the first corner really. Didn't immediately pick up that the steering wasn't 1:1 and hence took on an outside curb.

I think I had like 70 hours of lessons but I'd swear blind that most of them were him checking to see if I actually was using my mirrors (took ages for him to mention "move your head I can't see your eyes flick over") and driving him around to look at college girls and new cars etc. Still, passed first time.

Now most driving things are so automatic I hardly notice. I think it took me like 5-10 minutes tops to adjust to a left hand drive manual (thank GOD the pedals are the right way around). I no longer see details... to me it's like a computer game. On the screen I'm leaping about and blasting things with a gun, in reality I'm just pressing keys and gesturing with a mouse. The interface becomes as invisible as how to walk sometimes.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
(took ages for him to mention "move your head I can't see your eyes flick over")

Now most driving things are so automatic I hardly notice. I think it took me like 5-10 minutes tops to adjust to a left hand drive manual (thank GOD the pedals are the right way around). I no longer see details... to me it's like a computer game. On the screen I'm leaping about and blasting things with a gun, in reality I'm just pressing keys and gesturing with a mouse. The interface becomes as invisible as how to walk sometimes.

Thats a lot like how it is for me. Always had instructors and testers saying I never check my mirrors.

I'm usually lost off in my own lil world inside my head while driving, passengers in the car usually have to snap me out of it to talk to me. However i'm still aware of everything going on around me outside of the car. I've been driving for 14yrs and haven't been at fault in an accident once.

I'm more of an aggressive driver as well, I'll pass slow people the first chance I get. Wait.. It's not really aggressive as much as it is the fact I just don't like being behind anyone. Pulling me out of my own lil world as you speed up and slow down constantly annoys me to no end.. STOP IT!

I drive a lot tho (avg about 30k miles or 50k km a yr excluding work travel), half the time I don't have a destination, I'm just out driving. It's like my place to go and ponder life.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Thats a lot like how it is for me. Always had instructors and testers saying I never check my mirrors.

I'm usually lost off in my own lil world inside my head while driving, passengers in the car usually have to snap me out of it to talk to me. However i'm still aware of everything going on around me outside of the car. I've been driving for 14yrs and haven't been at fault in an accident once.

I'm more of an aggressive driver as well, I'll pass slow people the first chance I get. Wait.. It's not really aggressive as much as it is the fact I just don't like being behind anyone. Pulling me out of my own lil world as you speed up and slow down constantly annoys me to no end.. STOP IT!

I drive a lot tho (avg about 30k miles or 50k km a yr excluding work travel), half the time I don't have a destination, I'm just out driving. It's like my place to go and ponder life.
I vary and will happily follow for 50 miles or be raring to get passed based upon mood alone.

One weird thing though, throughout my lessons I mastered everything but the whole turning of the head, come the test I almost failed on gear changes but aced the whole perception thing :shock:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My dad taught me how to drive when i was 10 years old. :/

Family companies all focused on the transport sector. So we were spoonfed cars and driving. :p