User Tag List

First 123 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I am an ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE public speaker. I have gone to great lengths to avoid having to make speeches etc. It rips my nerves to shreds. I wish I was good at as you all seem to be - its definitely a great skill to have.

What I really hate are people that are really good at it telling me to "just get up and do it" or "its not that bad" or "stop overreacting" :steam: . Its as if they're telling me its just a matter of putting my mind to it and I'm just a pathetic complainer making a scene out of nothing. There's nothing worse than someone who is naturally good at something criticizing and belittling others for not being good at it.

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

to a strange crowd, ENFJs are, ENFPs aren't.
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

I feel that I'm a fairly good speaker as long as I have some interest or knowledge of what I'm talking about, to be fair I've only done a couple presentations so what do I know :p
    "That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I'm not the best public speaker in the world and it's always been a stumbling block for me. I may be knowledgeable on the material depending on what it is but without a lot of practice, the wording doesn't come to me as quickly as it should. I've gotten better at it, improving is still a work in progress. If it's a topic I'm more knowledgeable on, I'm prone to do better than one I know nothing about but practice is key. I have a bad habit of stuttering and stammering too, which is why I need index cards, because the speaker does not appear to know the material if reading directly.

The key is to look briefly at your reference, have the cards paraphrase the presentation, but make eye contact with the audience. I took a public speaking class a few semesters ago and learned some new things, I actually enjoyed the class and the professor was great. Making the presentation conversational is another trick to pull the audience in. Reading it out textbook style, the audience won't follow. One thing to keep in mind is the length on the presentation because the audience's attention span.
    9w1 5w4 2w3 sp/so

Whit Burnett did not coddle Salinger. He did not discover a literary genius sitting in the back row of his Monday class and deliver him to instant fame. Rather, he forced Jerry to work for his own success. As a mentor, Burnett may well have had every intention to publish his pupil, but as a teacher, he first demanded that his student exhaust other options

Melancholic-Phlegmatic
    O- High C- Average E- Extremely Hilariously Low A- Extremely High N-Medium High

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

I do quite well in public speaking; my job required it for many years.

Friendly Neighborhood Spellchecker. Hexicon's Avatar
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

[INFJ] - I’m a decent public speaker when I have to be. I don’t think this is necessarily a type-related thing. It’s a skill, like anything else. Some types may have an easier time with it from the get-go, or enjoy it more— but practically anyone can develop a skill like this, given the proper tools, etc.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

I am a comanding public speaker. I have been told that some of my speeches are the powerful people have ever encountered. I excel at persuasive public speaking. I love large audiences.

It is a damn good thing I can't advocate for things I don't believe in.
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays
    Likes highlander liked this post

I’m better at improv than speeches or presentations. I’ve spoken in front of hundreds of people but that was a long time ago.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    [INFJ] - I’m a decent public speaker when I have to be. I don’t think this is necessarily a type-related thing. It’s a skill, like anything else. Some types may have an easier time with it from the get-go, or enjoy it more— but practically anyone can develop a skill like this, given the proper tools, etc.
    I agree with the highlighted. I am a very good public speaker as well, and even enjoy it when it is a topic of interest to me. All this leads some people to mistake me for an extravert.
    They are quite gentle, really, but people avoid them because they are a bit . . . different.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6 sp

Im a horrible public speaker. Always. Unless Im really confident. But even then. I stutter. I stumble. And I always am splitting my mind in half- one part on the presentation and another equal part actively wishing it was over