• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Touchiness

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I want to know if many of the other INFP/Js are like this too. I don't like being touched by people I don't know. I can stand it but I am quite uncomfortable with it. Even those who I would consider pretty close friends I'm not hugely physically affectionate with. It's not that I'm not capable of it. Those people who have gotten into my heart (ie. my family, boyfriends-after-a-time, a select few girl friends) I am very physically affectionate with. I snuggle, hug, hand hold, sit upon, launch myself at. But, until that mysterious and very difficult to reach line has been crossed to someone I can "truly trust" I am not very physical. Even a hug is pretty awkward. This can also make things with guys kind of strained as even a guy touching my hand can end up a big deal, just because my body is my own and I hardly let anyone touch me. Is this normal for any of the rest of you?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes to all the questions.

Manimal

MBTI Type
INFP
well i really had to think hard to remember a situation where I've been touched by people I'm not very familiar with and I have decided that it really doesn't bother me at all. assuming its in a friendly manner.

i would like to add tho that i have an istj mother and she is extremely adverse to physical contact, sometimes even from people she is very close to.

Unique

Once an INFP knows you well they seem to really like touching/being touched

Don't invade their space when you haven't "got close" on that other level

Which is fine by me cause thats how I feel too, don't like random people or people I don't feel comfortable with touching me

Seems to be common in introverts or thinking types

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love to touch and be touched. I can't remember it ever bothering me that someone touched me.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to be like that.

I love hugs now. From pretty much anyone. I had to build myself up to that, though, and it took a pretty long time.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
The description in your OP could have been mine. I'm exactly the same way.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's so nice to know I'm not the only one like this. In Korea they don't seem to have the "your body is yours" rule since it's very much a kind of hive-mind society. My students, my manager, the nurses at the doctor's office, strangers I've just met are always grabbing me and yanking me, and touching me. Even after a year I don't like it, though I've gotten pretty used to the kids.

INFs are weird

Ah, but that's what's best about us too. :D

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm extremely sensitive to touch, and hate being poked and tickled (though I have no problem with hugging, meh, I'm a touchy-feely guy...), and always chalked it up to my Asperger's.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Weird is fun, usually. And way better than boring. At least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night ...

Shelovesyoumaybe

MBTI Type
INFP
Weird is fun, usually. And way better than boring. At least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night ...

Hehe, same here. I tell myself that as well because I absolutely despise having to touch someone I don't know. I just clam up and it's extremely uncomfortable for me. Even embracing outside family is difficult for me - my grandmother calls me a "touch-me-not". On the flip side, if you ask anyone who's been in an relationship with me or anyone who's lived with me for a long period of time (close family especially), they'd tell you that I'm one of the most touchy-feely person they know. I even have been told to lay off on the hugs and snuggling because there was so much of it. I guess that's just part of the "all or nothing" thing that the INFPs carry.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
An INFP and I went to supper last night. We were okay sitting at the table. But the walking there and back... man, it was like dodgem cars with magic, invisible bumpers. Constant awkward alterations of gait and stride and step.

I blame inferior Se for me. My Se shouldn't be engaged unless the other three processes are engaged in the same operation. Feed me sensory information when I'm doing something else and there will be trouble.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm pretty much the same way at the op. i don't trust Se forms of expression to convey any sense of significance, unless there is significance. and why would i want gestures that are meaningless to me, cliched, etc.

but deep down i feel like the child amelie who's heart skips a beat when the possibility of being touched even by the cold sterile stethoscope is nearby. the desire might be real (primates!), but it also might be sublimated other things like itemized deductions on tax day, sum them alllll up and wrap them in a bowtied box.

i feel like somehow i've not yet disillusioned myself enough to realize that touch is just another domain for the empty gestures we all wear to convey lots of big nothings. and that authenticity has nothing to do with the form, but instead much more to do with some deep and mysterious essence that can never fully be grasped. a complexity that makes you trust it, makes you see into it, recognize its shape in the midst of the mushroom cloud.