• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ humor

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Is it common for INFJs to have a love for humor? I really enjoy laughing, watching standup comedy, and joking about things. The thing is, though, I only like certain types of humor. For example, I like humor that is witty and insightful in a certain way. It doesn't have to be sophisticated at all, but it shouldn't just be raw absurdity without any substance. When people are really type A, it makes me uncomfortable, and I often deal with it by making jokes about things. Like, if someone in life is really uptight, it's funny to joke about how their spouse probably yells at them for leaving their dirty underwear on the sofa or something (OK, lame example, but you get my point hopefully). Any other INFJs feel this way? If so, what makes you laugh?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everyone likes humor in some form...different types just tend to appreciate very different forms.

sade

I enjoy stand up shows, morbid humor, banter.. Pretty much all types of. But I never really understood poo and fart jokes nor Monty Python.
And I absolutely love making fun of what you mentioned, making fun of small things.. It sometimes makes me seem naive apparantly. Anyways every type enjoys some sort of humor.

Maybe that was a bit cruel..

P

Phantonym

Any other INFJs feel this way? If so, what makes you laugh?

Just about anything can make me laugh, depending on my mood. I really enjoy puns, stand up comedy, irony and sarcasm; all kinds of word play and allusions. I can laugh with people or at them, but I'm never mean. It's the small things really, like seeing or hearing something (which might not be funny to somebody else) and then my brain just starts to connect that to all kinds of other funny things which results in a marathon of laughter.

When I look at the World and the people, usually I can't help but go off like a little laugh box :D

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When I look at the World and the people, usually I can't help but go off like a little laugh box :D

:) Reminds me of something I said to a friend, "Reality is a joke to me. It's more amusing than most people realise."

I'll laugh at anything that's funny. Which could be everything and nothing and all that's in between.

I think most people are like this. Except for those unfortunate souls that don't have a sense of humour.

That said, I have a particular attraction for jokes that make me think. The reward is greater because not only have I been given a joke, I've been given a quick puzzle. But then I also love parody and things like South Park just as much as I love the high brow stuff.

sade

:) Reminds me of something I said to a friend, "Reality is a joke to me. It's more amusing than most people realise."

I'll laugh at anything that's funny. Which could be everything and nothing and all that's in between.

I think most people are like this. Except for those unfortunate souls that don't have a sense of humour.

+1

P

Phantonym

But then I also love parody and things like South Park just as much as I love the high brow stuff.

Me too! :yes:

I don't really like to categorize humour to high/low brow. When it's funny for me, I laugh, and when it's not, it's like...meh. Some things are funny at some point and the same things might not be funny some other time. As I said earlier, everything depends on my mood.

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I like to laugh. I like sarcasm and poking some small fun at others. Reality is a joke to me

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I love banter, sarcasm, and just messing with people for the sake of messing with them.

Sometimes I'll just be thinking about something and it will crack me up. So there I am laughing or smiling insanely and people always look at me strangely.

Am I the only one? :huh:

P

Phantonym

Sometimes I'll just be thinking about something and it will crack me up. So there I am laughing or smiling insanely and people always look at me strangely.

:hi: Rest assured, you're not :newwink: For me, it's the smallest things when I'm walking down the street or listening to music or reading. I see something that I immediately connect to some other things and I just can't stop smiling. You know, it is the strangest feeling when this "connect the dots" thing happens. At that moment, it's like everything is so clear and makes perfect sense and you just cannot help but to smile. It is actually quite magical feeling and I often wonder if other people feel even a fracture of something like this. I'm sort of able to control it so that I won't start to roll on the floor from laughter but I can imagine that I'm still pretty silly looking.

OR...

something like this has finally happened -
PW-0248_A1765E-SMILE-INSANE.jpg

:D

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I love banter, sarcasm, and just messing with people for the sake of messing with them.

Well, I wouldn't say I smile or laugh insanely. More like laugh/chuckle quietly to myself. Or smirk. People only start looking at me funny when they ask me what I'm smiling/laughing about and I tell them. Then I grin all the wider. :D

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I wouldn't say I smile or laugh insanely. More like laugh/chuckle quietly to myself.

Ok, now that makes me sound like a deranged maniac. :huh:
I don't laugh insanely. I -do- however struggle to keep from LOLing. And that's what attracts the attention.

Mukiko

Maybe that was a bit cruel..

You cracked the first laugh of the day, thanks.

Well, I wouldn't say I smile or laugh insanely. More like laugh/chuckle quietly to myself. Or smirk. People only start looking at me funny when they ask me what I'm smiling/laughing about and I tell them. Then I grin all the wider. :D

I do both of them. I can sometime throw out a very manical laughter and sometimes I just smile to myself, in there.

I don't like to share it that often though and if I do; they've pulled it out of me.

Asking too many questions and all too few answers, will make anyone grow mad about the minds around.

EDIT: SHIT! I was so caught up in reading and forgetting the little sidenote that I use my Stalkers account.
I am Gtzk in this post. (if she ever finds herself interested enough to post and sees two posts already made.)

Last edited:

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4

No! :) I think a lot of INFJs will do this if they feel comfortable with the other person; if they sense that they have a thick skin. I've seen them shy away from this if they think the other person's feelings would be hurt.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
I laugh all the time. Especially at very awkward occasions, such as movies where good people get whacked (in a funny way), for example. I get all types of humour, but I get some burning glares at me from time to time because of it.

V

violaine

I love banter, sarcasm, and just messing with people for the sake of messing with them...

Nope. :D

No! :) I think a lot of INFJs will do this if they feel comfortable with the other person; if they sense that they have a thick skin. I've seen them shy away from this if they think the other person's feelings would be hurt.

Yeah. This is my preferred style of humor and the mode I most often slip into. But the person has to be able to take it, otherwise, not fun. The fun is in the repartee. Works best with people I am close to. They know I like them and am not looking to wound. Engaging in banter makes me feel really close to someone, especially if they can give it back with a deft touch. :wubbie:

tibby

MBTI Type
fool

+2 me gustas tambien.

My sister says I'm sarcastic, she's always confused whether I'm being serious or not. So I appreciate a person who can read it and give back at same force - forms into banter. And I really like that. Banter and dry, black humour. Unintended, random humour, something that isn't just making fun of an object targeted but has depth behind. Dark and witty.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How important is logic in what you think is good humor?

And when you do find something worth laughing at (let's say something like TV Funhouse: Shazzang!), do you share it with others?

Life makes death funny. It's probably a good thing more people don't agree.