• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs in the sciences

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Chemistry and physics were my biggest in highschool, though I've ended up going to college for computer networking and am now working at a help desk. I've never really had trouble with math until after I stopped going to school over 6 years ago.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am sorry for my INTJness.

I think that the data given from this could be somewhat missleding. This is because people that are into computers, engineering and physics are more likely to hang out on internet forum. Also NFs that are not too interested in science are more like not to post in this thread in the first place.

Just saying.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Yea I'm definitely not a science person. Out of biology, chemistry, and physics, biology seemed the most interesting to me but I was still bad at it. I didn't even take a physics class. I have a huge appreciation for science, but I'm just no good at it. But I'm definitely drawn to social sciences, humanities, and arts. Sigh.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
math more than english in school. biology is my fav science. work with biology and women one-on-one in my profession.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I work in medical science at the moment, have worked in molecular genetics, and microbiology too. Am considering either going into forensics or Med school.

Sponge

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
So social sciences don't count? That's where I'm taking my career :D

I really didn't like chemistry or physics at school, but I absolutely loved biology. I considered studying it further, or studying plant biology, but I'm not sure why I didn't. I still sometimes think about doing a evening class in biology or something because it really fascinates me.

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I love math and physics. I detest chemistry. Biology is OK, I guess.

Integrals and differential equations <3

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I like my physics teacher, he doesn't teach physics, he teaches thinking - how everything relates, how physics relates, what does it mean, the big picture, connections.

I think they should just teach stuff as a big fat plumb of everything, or at least connect them better, not just separate and leave the big picture scattered.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
I like my physics teacher, he doesn't teach physics, he teaches thinking - how everything relates, how physics relates, what does it mean, the big picture, connections.

i wish mine had done that. i know that's how i would teach.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NFs are obviously common in the social sciences, and NTs almost totally dominate the physical sciences, but NFs do not seem to be uncommon in the life sciences, and I myself am a biology major. I find physics interesting but it's too much math. I find chemistry generally boring except for biochemistry. But Biology I have always loved since I was a kid.

Any other NFs here who are into sciency stuff?

/agree /agree /agree

Ecology and zoology dazzle me.

sculpting

I am sorry for my INTJness.

I think that the data given from this could be somewhat missleding. This is because people that are into computers, engineering and physics are more likely to hang out on internet forum. Also NFs that are not too interested in science are more like not to post in this thread in the first place.

Just saying.

Dont apologize silly. We wub you for your INTJness!!

I think Ne-Fi sees all the interconnections and is very much drawn to the complexity in the science. We see the beauty, the poetry, the grace of how these things interconnect. However we may need to have a pretty well developed tertiary Te to pull off a science degree. Ti can come online but it needs a lot of excercise for mine to stay in shape. Ne shines like a rock star though.

When I took quantum mechanics, at a grad level, and it was all in Bra-Ket forms, it was so beautiful and abstract. Under the abstract notation, massive amounts of math were being twisted and turned, and problems solved but all buried into this simplistic formulation. It was like dancing.

Also when I see advanced math books, I dont want to do the math for use it for anything, but I do want to understand the connections and symbolism . I want to understand what the symbols mean and it becomes a challenge to me given my Ti deficeit.

Oh one more, laplace transforms, or just transforms in general were like a religious experience for me. The idea that you could modify the external coordinates, plant the whole problem in a new set of coordinates, solve it and then retunr to the original was effin awesome. (Im a little rusty if I described that wrong)

Coo-coo for coo-puffs.

brinmat

MBTI Type
INFP
Fellow NF science geek. I work in microbiology, and I love it. NTs do still dominate the biological sciences in many areas, but you can find a decent smattering of NFs if you look for 'em.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I think they should just teach stuff as a big fat plumb of everything, or at least connect them better, not just separate and leave the big picture scattered.

LOL, that's exactly how I would teach. Terms like "Physics", "Biology", etc. are merely labels created by us, they have no independent reality. Treating them as if they did have an independent reality discourages interdisciplinary study and fresh ideas from outside, and even leads to clique-based stupidity. For example back in the 50s it was a common statement that "fungi are studied by botanists and they are plants by definition". :doh: In fact Fungi are more closely related to animals then they are to plants. Only when people got out of the clique-ish mindset held together by the traditional 2-Kingdom classification system and the dichotomy between Zoology and Botany that the evolutionary relationships of the fungi, algae, and protozoans began to be understood

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Fellow NF science geek. I work in microbiology, and I love it. NTs do still dominate the biological sciences in many areas, but you can find a decent smattering of NFs if you look for 'em.

WOOT!!! I love microbiology, the study of protists, especially. I fell in love with ciliate protozoans when I was a kid, they are SO CUTE!!! :wubbie:

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Dont apologize silly. We wub you for your INTJness!!

I think Ne-Fi sees all the interconnections and is very much drawn to the complexity in the science. We see the beauty, the poetry, the grace of how these things interconnect. However we may need to have a pretty well developed tertiary Te to pull off a science degree. Ti can come online but it needs a lot of excercise for mine to stay in shape. Ne shines like a rock star though.

When I took quantum mechanics, at a grad level, and it was all in Bra-Ket forms, it was so beautiful and abstract. Under the abstract notation, massive amounts of math were being twisted and turned, and problems solved but all buried into this simplistic formulation. It was like dancing.

Also when I see advanced math books, I dont want to do the math for use it for anything, but I do want to understand the connections and symbolism . I want to understand what the symbols mean and it becomes a challenge to me given my Ti deficeit.

Oh one more, laplace transforms, or just transforms in general were like a religious experience for me. The idea that you could modify the external coordinates, plant the whole problem in a new set of coordinates, solve it and then retunr to the original was effin awesome. (Im a little rusty if I described that wrong)

Coo-coo for coo-puffs.

LOL, it's the same with me for biochemistry, ecology, and evolutionary biology. Knowing that such wonderful structures and patterns are the result of a complex mix of natural selection and self-assembling chaos makes me goo-goo-eyed in wonder. It always make me think of the wonderful last paragraph of The Origin of Species:

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."

brinmat

MBTI Type
INFP
WOOT!!! I love microbiology, the study of protists, especially. I fell in love with ciliate protozoans when I was a kid, they are SO CUTE!!! :wubbie:

lol! I feel the same way, although I think bacteria are even more adorable. One of the first labs we did in my first Micro class was looking at what they call a hay infusion, which ends up growing a mix of bacteria and protozoa. It's just so cute seeing these little chains of rods just swimming around. :)

So... hehe... that's probably what distinguishes me from the more NT-minded microbiologists. :)

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I really like science. Some of the other teachers at my school think I should scrap being an English teacher and become a Science teacher. I enjoyed the ideas of physics but it was too much math for me. I like biology, and I loved the physical part of chemistry, the mathy-formulaic stuff...I have to admit I copied from peers sometimes. :p I love astronomy. But, I am only a layman science geek. Good for science fairs and middle school classes and trivia shows and bad for making a job of it.

...as a teen my favorite comic strip was Foxtrot.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
lol! I feel the same way, although I think bacteria are even more adorable. One of the first labs we did in my first Micro class was looking at what they call a hay infusion, which ends up growing a mix of bacteria and protozoa. It's just so cute seeing these little chains of rods just swimming around. :)

So... hehe... that's probably what distinguishes me from the more NT-minded microbiologists. :)

I remember running into a site selling cute plush stuffed toys of various microbes and going "I WANT ONE!!!" :D

sculpting

I remember running into a site selling cute plush stuffed toys of various microbes and going "I WANT ONE!!!" :D

My friend has like fourty of those little guys. All species and types of widdle microsbes in her desk at work. For being HIV and HepB they are Soooooo cute...

SpaZZakaZZ

MBTI Type
INFP
I took Maths and Human Biology and did well in both of them.
Baaaaad at English, I can't explain myself logically enough.
Things like Art never appealed to me because I don't like doing creative things within a school structure. Too restrictive.
I was good at high school Physics, but more interested in Quantum Physics.