• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs in the sciences

Phenix

MBTI Type
INFP
I like science, especially physics. Have a thing for the very big and the very small. String theory is fascinating. Basically, the Te as the inferior function relegates these passions to the level of hobby, so it's not a job.

Not sure I necessarily agree with the Antisocial One, because NFs might use computers as a tool to communicate and not as technology for its own sake. This might take the self selection argument down a different twist. I like computers, but only to the degree that they serve my purpose.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a scientist by training and profession. My studied chemistry at Uni and then got a job as anlalytical chemist in a government lab in the Uk, testing foods for nutrients and contaminants. Eventually, I joined a Forensic Science team at the same lab. I now work in New Zealand as a Senior Forensic Scientist.

NFs can be very good at science, but our interests, approach and motivations tend to be quite different from NTs. We're not so naturally adept with the teeny, tiny technical details (this aspect of my job still gives me headaches, even though I'm very good at what I do), and we usually require some higher meaning or purpose to work as a scientist. For me, that's helping society by fighting crime.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
NFs can be very good at science, but our interests, approach and motivations tend to be quite different from NTs. We're not so naturally adept with the teeny, tiny technical details (this aspect of my job still gives me headaches, even though I'm very good at what I do), and we usually require some higher meaning or purpose to work as a scientist. For me, that's helping society by fighting crime.
I agree completely, which is why a gravitated towards biotechnology.

Supposedly this is a big distinction between NTs and NFs. NTs tend to see knowledge as an end unto itself that requires no further justification for motivation. I, as an INFJ, on the other hand may find such knowledge interesting, but knowledge in and of itself is ultimately subordinate to using knowledge to help others in terms of motivating our behavior. In my case this is Ni and Ti feeding data to Fe.

Finally this also helps explain why I was mistyped as an INTP for a long time. For one thing most internet MBTI tests don't distingish between Ni and Ne. Also, just because I use Ti alot does mean it is the ultimate source of my motivation. And finally the way such tests are worded makes my Fe weaker than it really is because of my Asperger's Syndrome despite it being such a major source of motivation for me.

sculpting

I am a scientist by training and profession. My studied chemistry at Uni and then got a job as anlalytical chemist in a government lab in the Uk, testing foods for nutrients and contaminants. Eventually, I joined a Forensic Science team at the same lab. I now work in New Zealand as a Senior Forensic Scientist.

Wow apollo I admire your tenacity/J!! I was so bad at analytical as I am so not detail oriented. The labs made me crazy!!! I would fill my corner of the lab with muttered curse words and slammed down vials.

I actually spent a year w an analytical chem prof doing maldi-MS which was awesome, once past the details!

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Wow apollo I admire your tenacity/J!! I was so bad at analytical as I am so not detail oriented. The labs made me crazy!!! I would fill my corner of the lab with muttered curse words and slammed down vials.

I actually spent a year w an analytical chem prof doing maldi-MS which was awesome, once past the details!

I HATE analytical chemistry! It is the worst college course with a lab component I have taken. I agree completely that THE DETAILS SUCK!!! Now Molecular Biology and Microbiology, THOSE were fun courses!

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I HATE analytical chemistry! It is the worst college course with a lab component I have taken. I agree completely that THE DETAILS SUCK!!! Now Molecular Biology and Microbiology, THOSE were fun courses!

A lot depends on the quality of the teachers/lecturers. NFs do SO much better when we have teachers who displays some or all of the following traits:

Enthusiasm
Friendliness
Openness to questions
Patience when we're struggling with the details

When I decided to go for my Analytical Chemistry MSc, I already knew the tutors from my Chemistry BSc. The fact that I knew and liked them was a major factor in my decision to take that degree. The other main reason was because Analytical Chemistry provided a way to take all of my theoretical chemistry knowledge and develop it into a practical skill-set which I could use in the real world.

g_vartan

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Whoot! Whoot! Glad I found this thread. ENFJ here working on innovation -- more recently dabbling in systems biology, bioinformatics, etc. related to the emerging field of personalized medicine. Totally agree with Apollanaut -- I'm not one for technical details, driven more about social implications of my findings. One advantage I have had in comparison to my NT colleagues is that I am willing to pursue/lead outrageous projects -- I see the possibilities and aren't scared off by the barriers/challenges. I get pumped up by getting other scientists / thought leaders excited about the possibilities -- on what we can accomplish together. I catalyze things -- take it to the next level. I'm glad there are other NFs in the field. You guys makes it fun :)

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Whoot! Whoot! Glad I found this thread. ENFJ here working on innovation -- more recently dabbling in systems biology, bioinformatics, etc. related to the emerging field of personalized medicine. Totally agree with Apollanaut -- I'm not one for technical details, driven more about social implications of my findings. One advantage I have had in comparison to my NT colleagues is that I am willing to pursue/lead outrageous projects -- I see the possibilities and aren't scared off by the barriers/challenges. I get pumped up by getting other scientists / thought leaders excited about the possibilities -- on what we can accomplish together. I catalyze things -- take it to the next level. I'm glad there are other NFs in the field. You guys makes it fun :)
Now THAT is awesome! :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
NFs are obviously common in the social sciences, and NTs almost totally dominate the physical sciences, but NFs do not seem to be uncommon in the life sciences, and I myself am a biology major. I find physics interesting but it's too much math. I find chemistry generally boring except for biochemistry. But Biology I have always loved since I was a kid.

Any other NFs here who are into sciency stuff?

Myself: loved bilogy, liked geography, math was ok, psychology sounded too complicating in high school. Later I've been more interested. Social psychology is something that I've been probably the most interested when stydying even if my major was economics. Don't ask me why I didn't chooce the major that I found interesting (because I found economics pretty boring)...because I coulnd't answer that question. :doh:

Physics boring. Chemistry even more boring.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my long career as a analytical chemist/forensic scientist, I have encountered all four NF types. A handful of INFJs, ENFPs and ENFJs, but the most common, perhaps surprisingly, have been INFPs.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Science this:

Bart.jpg

sculpting

Ich werde Ihren Kolben zurück zu Ihrem eigenen Gewinde NT treten!

hahahahahaha!!!!! (how well did bablefish do?)