• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's and boredom

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
Earlier in my lifetime I have been so incredibly bored with life and routines, so bored that I tried to overdose several times on drugs(I honestly have no idea why I am still alive. o_O).

Boredom and despair.

Not nowadays though.

Is there any other NF out there who recognize this feeling?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*raises hand*

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My life growing up was too chaotic for me to get bored. Times of "normalicy" were times of rest for me. These days the routine grind is boring as fuck, but takes up too much of my time to have any decent fun.

Serendipity

MBTI Type
RAD
What did you do to remove your "boredom" ? If you ever succeeded?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm never bored unless I'm forced to pay attention to the outside world and people for too long. If I'm alone, I can entertain myself with next to nothing.

Sponge

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Whilst it sounds rather ludicrous that you will try and kill yourself because you were bored, I have to admit that my greatest depressions and misery were caused by boredom. But maybe not boredom itself, but the lack of energy and motivation to rid myself off that boredom to just *do* something.

I still get like that sometimes.

Serendipity

MBTI Type
RAD
Whilst it sounds rather ludicrous that you will try and kill yourself because you were bored, I have to admit that my greatest depressions and misery were caused by boredom. But maybe not boredom itself, but the lack of energy and motivation to rid myself off that boredom to just *do* something.

I still get like that sometimes.

If the patterns around you showed the endless routine of nothing ever new, and that nothing ever changed. That whatever you tried to do to change it, ended up in the same state as before. People around you were so predictable that nothing felt real any more nor fascinating. To never see change. (Yes, I know now that I was delusional and didn't understand/see change as it happens, though at the time it felt as real as anything else.)

I did do things. I did try to change the pattern but I all I did always ended up in nothing.

I would say that boredom can induce depression and in the end suicidal tendencies.
And so can happiness. xD But that's something else completely.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Not suicidal - at all. But bored with life? O yes. Just existing sucks.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i don't get bored a lot, except if you count existential hysteria ... like in the forest ... when it's about to assimilate me. but it's rather easy to distract myself from that.

so what's your boredom like, anyway? is it stable, but annoying, angry, or is it close to fear.. stinging emptiness?

Serendipity

MBTI Type
RAD
i don't get bored a lot, except if you count existential hysteria ... like in the forest ... when it's about to assimilate me. but it's rather easy to distract myself from that.

so what's your boredom like, anyway? is it stable, but annoying, angry, or is it close to fear.. stinging emptiness?

Hmm. I can't relate to the one I have been any more. It sort of vanished when I got the insight that the only constant in the world is change. o_O
That insight occurred after having all values I've ever created within me deleted until I reached "you cannot terminate this process, it is vital for the system" and ended up with Feelings as my vital way of living.
And since then there's no boredom within sight.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm never bored unless I'm forced to pay attention to the outside world and people for too long. If I'm alone, I can entertain myself with next to nothing.

This is so incredibly accurate for me. "Bored" is just a word. Once you harnass your imagination amply enough, you'll learn about the 1:168 rule (1 hour outside a week). Think about something until you forget about time!

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
If the patterns around you showed the endless routine of nothing ever new, and that nothing ever changed. That whatever you tried to do to change it, ended up in the same state as before. People around you were so predictable that nothing felt real any more nor fascinating. To never see change. (Yes, I know now that I was delusional and didn't understand/see change as it happens, though at the time it felt as real as anything else.)

I did do things. I did try to change the pattern but I all I did always ended up in nothing.

I can totally relate! I was thinking this the other day, actually. I joke about how I have to create my own reality because I hate reality. Anything to entertain myself! But, as you said, it always ends up as nothing, so it's like you have to try to keep this sustained motion of awesome... which is... tiring. But, it's not boring. And, I hate boring more. I don't think there is necessarily a cure for it, but I think if I was running this operation with someone else who was equally as starved for stimulation as I was... it'd be a lot easier to keep it going.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
If I don't have enough time to myself, I get bored with life routines. Being around people who enjoy what I enjoy helps me not get bored, though.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
everything is always the same. yes it's changing, but it's changing by itself. it's around me. it ignores me. it locks me in. eyes only. no touching. forever. why do i have to exist eternally, when i am nothing at all?

Serendipity

MBTI Type
RAD
everything is always the same. yes it's changing, but it's changing by itself. it's around me. it ignores me. it locks me in. eyes only. no touching. forever. why do i have to exist eternally, when i am nothing at all?

Do you exist eternally?
And what is beuty if not a sign of never ending change from one point to another in a constant flux?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I get bored very easily. In fact I would say that I live 80% of my life in boredom and restlessness. It's weird because it doesn't seem to be connected to whether I'm interested in something or not. It has to be the most interesting thing on earth to me to keep my attention. Because I feel bad about and because I'm so used to it, I don't really tell people. In some ways the word 'bored' doesn't seem to really cover the sensation properly.

I don't even know what is to be done to overcome it. Although, one thing that helps for me (temporarily) is to have little side projects that you work on - things that interest you, challenge you and/or expand your mind. Learning a language is good, or just reading up on a subject that interests you in order to understand it better. The best thing is when these projects then become minor obsessions and you start to get excited about delving into them every day. You have to be pro-active, though - you have to jump start yourself.

Serendipity

MBTI Type
RAD
there's two words in Swedish, one that covers "from time to time restlessness" and one that covers "Life is not, despair and bore". I think there's two in the English language too, I just haven't got the synonym correctly formed in my head just yet.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
there's two words in Swedish, one that covers "from time to time restlessness" and one that covers "Life is not, despair and bore". I think there's two in the English language too, I just haven't got the synonym correctly formed in my head just yet.
That's interesting. Its like a scale of how serious the feeling is. A moderate passing feeling or a deep melancholy.

In English being 'bored' means to find things dull and uninteresting, and can be also associated with tiredness (eg. "I tired of the conversation quickly"). 'Restlessness' covers my situation more. Its related to dissatisfaction, agitation and the lack of a serenity in mind (and/or body).