• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Cultivating the F?

juggernaut

Permabanned
So, I'm a really, really lop-sided T and I'm wondering if there's a way to develop one's F? I have no desire to become more "P" and I'm fairly balanced with regard to the other functions, so I'm here. I just get the feeling that I'm missing a big chunk of life as a result of having my F functions so thoroughly buried under the Ts. Is there any hope? Can the grinch grow a heart? I'd love to hear from anyone who has any input to offer.

Cronkle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Super Fe to the rescue!

Hm, talking to a T person, I'd recommend maybe reading up on physiological signs of emotion. Some of them are literally impossible to hide.

I don't know if it can be taught. Definitely logic takes a backseat to feelings in the moment, though.

pure_sterling

MBTI Type
INFP
What part of F is it that you like/want/admire... depending on that I would say that the method would be different. Also Fi and Fe are very different so it might be good for you to clarity which you prefer.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Add one extra minute to important decision making moments.

Like, when you have to make some substantial decision about your involvement in a new project, or your next step in something big. That minute should be quiet and simple, a little like meditation. Basically, you close your eyes, settle, and wait for one minute, during which time you stop thinking of the decision as pressing. Images and reactions will come to you. They may be startling or unpleasant or comfortable and settled. Some part of that minute will be Fi talking to you.

juggernaut

Permabanned
What part of F is it that you like/want/admire... depending on that I would say that the method would be different. Also Fi and Fe are very different so it might be good for you to clarity which you prefer.

At this point, I'm not even sure. It's been so long since I've felt anything other than curiosity or irritation that I will take whatever I can get. The last time I felt anything that remotely resembled glee, it was at the end of a 45 line proof...lame on any account.

My Fe and Fi are both so incredibly teeny on the eight function scale, that I honestly don't have a clue where to begin. I should add that I do feel great love for my children, but being the screwball T that I am, even when I have these waves of emotion for them my first thought is "oh that's just oxytocin".

juggernaut

Permabanned

Like, when you have to make some substantial decision about your involvement in a new project, or your next step in something big. That minute should be quiet and simple, a little like meditation. Basically, you close your eyes, settle, and wait for one minute, during which time you stop thinking of the decision as pressing. Images and reactions will come to you. They may be startling or unpleasant or comfortable and settled. Some part of that minute will be Fi talking to you.

I think that's why I killed it a zillion years ago. I just cannot stand that discomfort, but know I avoiding it is starting to take it's toll. I look at other people and think, I should be feeling something.

Occasionally, when I'm alone outside (or in traffic of all places...something about the endless sea of cars, each one containing an entire reality) I'll have a bout of sublimity but that is generally followed by a wave of nausea and then semi-panic.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
My Fe and Fi are both so incredibly teeny on the eight function scale, that I honestly don't have a clue where to begin. I should add that I do feel great love for my children, but being the screwball T that I am, even when I have these waves of emotion for them my first thought is "oh that's just oxytocin".

Something like this ?

extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.8)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************** (20.9)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************ (36.2)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************** (50.4)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************************ (48.6)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************** (38.2)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *** (3.7)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************** (18.8)
limited use

juggernaut

Permabanned
-**************** Te
-**************** Ti
-************ Ne
-********* Si
-******** Fi
-*** Se
-* Fe
- Ni

Looks like Fe is the real hurtin' unit here. Just the same, the Fi is quite pathetic relative to the two Ts. Any thoughts on Fe-ness folks?

pure_sterling

MBTI Type
INFP
Just because you are not strong in feeling functions doesn't mean you don't have feeling, I think it just means that you might be a little inept at identifying and dealing with them. To someone that it doesn't come naturaly to it takes more practice and focus (like me with T). Developing F doesn't mean being controled by your emotions and having a better understanding of why you might be feeling certain ways enabled you to better respond to your reactions.
As a T it might be beneficial to, when away from situations, go through a logical process of cause, effect (feeling), response. Also, some feelings are not appropriate to the cause, which can lead to more analysis of what deeper feelings might have caused you to respond to a situation in an inpropriate way. You can apply this process to see what feelings motivate other peoples actions. Then combine both approaches to determine the appropriate response.

At which point you become an INFP and your head spins off :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
How to Experience Different Function-Attitudes

This may help you. I developed Te and my life got immediately better, developing Fi is a wise choice.

Whoa, I have never seen this before, but it's exactly what I've been trying to find! Thanks for the link! I wish functions could always be defined in terms of the experience of them, instead of the often vague treatments that they get on CP websites.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I wonder if there's a limit for how much you can develop a function if it's not one of your main two.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
-**************** Te
-**************** Ti
-************ Ne
-********* Si
-******** Fi
-*** Se
-* Fe
- Ni

Did you label those wrong? You're an Ni-less ENTPJ hybrid?

Looks like Fe is the real hurtin' unit here. Just the same, the Fi is quite pathetic relative to the two Ts. Any thoughts on Fe-ness folks?

Re Fe, if you're ENTJ, my thought is, DON'T DO IT!

If people really did use their functions in a step-by-step process as the function order suggests, then an ENTJ works like this:

Te identifies and presents the problem.
Ni throws up alternative solutions, all of which could work.
Se shows you which solution has the means available right now.

So the decision about what to do looks good to go.

It's that stepping back for one minute that lets in the outside consultant, your Fi. Te/Ni/Se provides "workable" answers. You can go ahead and do them and get the job done. But it really is worth taking that extra minute to think to yourself, yeah, I can get it done right now, and I probably will too, but hey, what am I thinking about the value of this project?

In the end it's about choosing where you want to put your work and what you can let your work mean for you. That you can get the job done is more or less a given, so in the end your value lies in which work you choose to do, yeah?

juggernaut

Permabanned
No typo there. I did it twice, thinking I screwed up the first time, but that's why Ni isn't listed at all in my signature. I appear to be Ni-less.

Maybe Ti or Te ate it along with all ..err most of...my Fe. Neither T function seems to want to let the other take a back seat. I don't really understand how those two came out identical anymore than I can figure out where Ni went. For the record, I come up INTJ almost as frequently as ENTJ, depending on the test.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, either you're answering the function test questions wrong, or you're ENTP and still answering the test questions wrong.

Which one do you like better: construction or destruction?

Destruction, right?

juggernaut

Permabanned
Is there a way to answer them wrong? I'm not sure how I would answer them right. I'm pretty sure I'm not P. I don't think I've never had a "P" day in my life. I am the deadline queen, and I lay out a plan for everything I do as far in advance as possible. I do seem to be able to tolerate unexpected changes in plans a bit more easily/readily than may be typical for a J, but I think that's probably more a function of age and maternal status than innate personality. I don't know how I would be a P...I'm the one the Ps come to when they know they need to get their stuff done. (I have a lot of Ps in my orbit, NTPs in particular...I vacillate between wanting to choke them and wanting to hug them)

I probably do like destruction a bit more than construction though. Getting to the last line in a derivation or reducing any complex idea to it's core element(s) is a bit more interesting to me than globalizing an idea. At the same time I like looking for patterns across systems so that's kind of a mishmosh of construction and destruction.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Like, when you have to make some substantial decision about your involvement in a new project, or your next step in something big. That minute should be quiet and simple, a little like meditation.

Fi should only take less than a fraction of a second to process. Especially when there is an instantaneously strong dislike of something, that is processed not through the mind but through the adrenaline glands...

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Find an F you can get along with and develop a friendship. Reality is the best teacher.

You don't have to "become more P" to incorporate the good points of the P preference. :) I work on doing this with J, but will never become a J.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
to OP: have you ever thought of ESTJ as your type? Because Te is the most abstract compared to other functions that are not N. If your dominant function Te overpower your auxiliary, then it might be the reason why you tested as ENTJ. Your Si seems to be much higher than your Ni.

I've known some ESTJs IRL that got the test result as ENTJ. But they agreed that the description of ESTJ fits them more.