• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's: Have you ever been called 'too sensitive'?

OregonENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
As an ENFP I've been called 'too sensitive' on a few occasions. I take a lot of things literally (and to heart) and find that I will dwell on things people say and get hurt by them. It has often made me feel somehow flawed. I tend to get the most hurt by the less sensitive SJ's mostly as they don't really see the point of being 'sensitive' to others emotions as much as NF's are.

NF's have you ever been called 'too sensitive'?

Cronkle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, not called it very often, but I know I am.

I try to stay away from people that give off bad vibes though, since I'm so prone to taking everything personally.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does wind blow?

Jyess. But, it has been many years. As I get older, I've become slightly better at controlling my feelings and moderately better at hiding them.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
No. I've been called sensitive regarding people/topics, though, but that's not the same thing.

Being broken in at a young age has likely both hindered and helped me with internal emotional handling. If anything, I've been accused of being coldly indifferent or even insensitive - by both non/overly sensitive people.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. I've been called sensitive regarding people/topics, though, but that's not the same thing.

Being broken in at a young age has likely both hindered and helped me with internal emotional handling. If anything, I've been accused of being coldly indifferent or even insensitive - by both non/sensitive people.

I can relate to this entirely. I've never been called too sensitive, and I wouldn't consider myself that at all.

pardo

MBTI Type
istp
Yes.
A lot of things that people say (or don't say) hurt me all the time.
I have a problem accepting criticism.
I'm used to hiding my feelings, but those few times where I couldn't, I've been accused of being too sensitive.
It's like being born with a handicap, especially for a male.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I've never been called too sensitive, but I am.

I have developed a thick skin that hides my vulnerability very well.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm not an NF, but I've been called too sensitive a few times on this board, I suppose I should stop laying down all those invisible Fi tripwires... :devil:

G

garbage

Once I stopped talking to my dad about anything emotional at all, so did being called too sensitive.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I once worked with an ISTJ lady, who.. really tested me, and I would have to say.. was my WORST working experience.

No matter how friendly, how nice I was to her, I would get really snidy/smirky remarks I didn't appreciate.

In order to find justification for that kind of behavior, I was called 'too sensitive, ' when in fact, it takes 2!

I know I shouldn't take it personally, but when it happens to her when someone treats her the same way,, she didn't like it and found ways in which she could get me in trouble, which she never did, bc I worked hard and honestly, and I think it made her feel like shit. Consequently, I felt pushed into a corner, so i quit.

When people say we're too sensitive, I think it's an excuse for 'poor' behavior, TBH. Then there are times where I just say, "Whatev.." Or, what a classmate told me there is a saying in a particular part of the world:

"Not my problem."

If we do *best* with what we can, positively, in our situation/circumstances, then I think that is good enough, when our intentions are for the better.. for both.

Best regards.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never been called 'too sensitive' by friends/boyfriends/coworkers/acquaintances.

But my mom has told me that I was 'such a sensitive child'. :) I think as a teenager I shelled myself up and during college/20's I just grew out of it a lot. I don't take offense easily, and usually cut people a lot of slack because I recognize personality differences. I'd say I'm still quite sensitive to subtle non-verbal cues/expressions/body language, though - but that's kinda a different context from what the OP is referring to.

sade

My mother calls me too sensitive and I doubt that's ever going to end; she knows me too well. I have a tough outer shell, besides that I'm not easily offended nor hurt emotionally. I haven't been called too sensitive, nor sensitive by any friends (best friend not included), collegues or relatives.

The only people to have called me too sensitive are the ones that I've told my more inner thoughts.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It was my middle name growing up...

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Poke my emotions and I crumple into a heap. It's awful. :( I'm not sensitive to topics, but I'm sensitive to criticism, insults, gossips, offending people...yeah. I needs to work on that, because it results in me apologizing too much as well.

In short: yes.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Very very often as I was growing up younger, and still sometimes today.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I used to be so much more sensitive then I am now. I do remember that being said to me early in life quite often. Looking back, I did in fact take their advice.

OregonENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It is amazing how much this post has helped me. Thank you to all who have posted. I have never in my life actually realized that I'm not alone in this.