• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs: Losing yourself in the moment (Se)

sculpting

Hi fellow ENFPs,

How often to do you resort to losing yourself in the moment, dissolving yourself in physical sensation? In other words turning to Se?

Is it something you do to hide or supress being emotionally overwhelmed, as an escape mechanism, or just for the pure sensual joy?

My Se is broken, best I can figure, but I have seen other ENFPs in my family turn into very ESFP like individuals in times of stress or just for fun.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I was just reflecting on this yesterday (I have the flu at the moment). :cry:

When I don't feel well, Fi and Ne are like filters that slip off and I ensconce myself in all manner of physical comforts.

I watch fun movies and don't think about profound interpretations or what will happen next.

I get out the bubble bath stuff I always buy but don't use, and actually use it.

I still get dressed, put on makeup, put on perfume and make an effort to not look like crapiola. (The thought of sitting in my pj's all day - dreadful!)

I will generally do tasks that I could otherwise ignore for weeks. Various chores would include cleaning the fridge, doing the bills (did that yesterday), folding laundry, sorting my e-mail inbox etc. They feel sort of comforting.

I just become part of my physical environment more than usual. Just purely soaking in what I see, touch, smell, do.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I did that a lot more as a kid, but yes, I still do these things occasionally when I am really happy or really stressed.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i can let go and just live in the moment...it's when something fun, exciting and physical is happening though...not something stressful. it's not an escape mechanism for anything.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mmm, what I meant is, when I have a deadline I forget everything around me and get in the task. Is that what you mean?

Otherwise, if something is fun, invigorating and interesting, I do this.

For example, as a child, I loved bubble baths - would sink ships and listen to the sound, then make them fly out of the water, as if by magic. I would get lost in my own fantasies to have a giant puddle of water on the floor!

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
I was just reflecting on this yesterday (I have the flu at the moment). :cry:

When I don't feel well, Fi and Ne are like filters that slip off and I ensconce myself in all manner of physical comforts.

I watch fun movies and don't think about profound interpretations or what will happen next.

I get out the bubble bath stuff I always buy but don't use, and actually use it.

I still get dressed, put on makeup, put on perfume and make an effort to not look like crapiola. (The thought of sitting in my pj's all day - dreadful!)

I will generally do tasks that I could otherwise ignore for weeks. Various chores would include cleaning the fridge, doing the bills (did that yesterday), folding laundry, sorting my e-mail inbox etc. They feel sort of comforting.

I just become part of my physical environment more than usual. Just purely soaking in what I see, touch, smell, do.

:yes:

What everyone else said. It can be when I'm distressed or just enjoying & living in the moment.

scattershot

MBTI Type
ENFP
Driving always does it for me, especially when I'm going fast and the radio's blasting. My Ne doesn't have time to make my mind wander when I'm being physically overstimulated like that.

As for why I do it - both, I guess. I drive 'cause I love it, but it also works as great therapy when I'm pissed off.

ConchShell

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm not very good at making use of my Se, unless I'm in natural, scenic surroundings. I tune in better then. Other than that, I'm sure I live inside my own head way too much. At least it's nice if each of us know what can switch us into a more relaxed Se mode. Whether it's driving, or natural scenes! Although I'm still not sure about having the flu!!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi fellow ENFPs,

How often to do you resort to losing yourself in the moment, dissolving yourself in physical sensation? In other words turning to Se?

Is it something you do to hide or supress being emotionally overwhelmed, as an escape mechanism, or just for the pure sensual joy?

My Se is broken, best I can figure, but I have seen other ENFPs in my family turn into very ESFP like individuals in times of stress or just for fun.

happy did you take the cognitive function test? i'm curious what your se was like.

ETA: here's a thread where enfps listed their results
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/13907-enfps-cognitive-functions-test-results.html

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I absolutely love it when that happens, though I have trouble doing it consciously, as I get bored easily and impatient. But when I do lose myself in the moment it's utter bliss. Moments like that are singing in the shower, dancing your heart out, sex, and just generally an activity that fully demands my attention and that I utterly enjoy :)

sculpting

happy did you take the cognitive function test? i'm curious what your se was like.

ETA: here's a thread where enfps listed their results
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/13907-enfps-cognitive-functions-test-results.html

extraverted Sensing (Se) (23.7)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) (-2)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (53.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) (39.3)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) (13.5)
unused
introverted Thinking (Ti) (31.2)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) (39.8)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) (41)
excellent use

Honestly my Se really, really sucks. I actually have a visual disorder called visual snow that blocks about 30% of my vision with little sparkles. It is heriditary in my family. I didnt even know it was not normal till last year when I was also seeing trailers and I tried to talk to the dr about the "pixelation" in my vision. It turns out your bain is introducing a lot of "noise" into the visual signals. It is normal in all fetal vertebrates to aid in retinal development, but should go away after birth.

However having said that I can read exceptionally fast and have super powered Ne, but I miss a lot of visual stuff most folks see.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I actually have a visual disorder called visual snow that blocks about 30% of my vision with little sparkles.

I have corneal transplants in both eyes, there's no way what I see is what's really there. Night time lights are most interesting: where there's a point of light I see the point plus flares, like if you took a still picture of a sparkler when its nearly finished burning. (Actually, as a result, sparklers themselves are double the fun.) But, I'm still out there looking at stuff.

Now, as for you ENFPs... just by function theory, if you're doing Se for an extended period of time, then something's going wrong. To privilege Se you have to stop attending to every other function!.

So-o-o-... how would you tell the difference between Se and Ne? Especially if say, that Ne has an aspirational Si, um, aspirating.

I know a little of Se, and I read something of Ne. It seems Ne is about the meaning of the thing in front of you, and Se... well, Se's a hell of a lot more literal. Se's about the physical thing in front of you, and that's all. Si, as far as I know, is about the form of that thing in front of you as distilled from past experience of similar things in front of you.

Is this true: Se is in the moment, while Si is comparing the moment to past moments?

I suggest you all discuss sex now.

Purely for research purposes. Is it about Si or Se for ENFPs?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
se and ne and fi i think.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Whut, no anecdotes!?

To truly find out if it's Si or Se, we'll need details.

What's your take on fancy underwear?

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP

Yeah, definitely. Occasionally I use it as an escape, but it's unfortunate cause I cannot maintain Se and will revert back to my usual ways after the fact. Getting slammed with reality is never fun.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
ENFPs you say?

Just give some stress, alcohol and dance floor/table to ENFP girl and you will be pleasantly suprised with the outcome.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Just give some stress, alcohol and dance floor/table to ENFP girl and you will be pleasantly suprised with the outcome.

Sooo true... hahaha. Completely out of control.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFPs you say?

what do you know?
eyebrow1qb.gif

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
"Losing yourself in Se" - is that euphemism for "whorish behavior"?

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
I guess stress. I am very stressed atm.

Right now I'm chaotic and as defined by people around me "Different traits".
A person is usually all traits a the same time with some overlapping the others. Such as being greedy but still know satisfaction. You(me) on the other hand only knows Greed, or lust, or... whatever else.
Very focused but you forget everything else and even yourself in the moment. And you show no remorse or empathy for anyone.