• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs Gullible?

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I've been told that we NFs are, and at first I laughed...then I suddenly realized, oh wait, I actually am gullible. So. Is this just a stereotype, or do you feel it's vindicated? I'm curious.:smile:

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Gullible in what sense.

If someone takes advantage of my goodwill by pleading to my emotions is that gullible? Say someone begs money off of me and I give it to them or someone asks me to support a cause that is probably hopeless anyway.

Does gullible mean in that sense that I rarely barter or haggle when I should to get a better deal. Or someone says yay, this is a fantastic money making scheme, pyramid much, just like this bonus plastic vacuum cleaner and music player could be yours only 5 small easy payments of $49.95.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'd say so. I give people the benefit of the doubt many times even when signs may point otherwise. If someone says something sincerely enough, I believe them, even if it seems outrageous. (Ive heard, and seen, weird real shit.things seem not-so-crazy to me lol) etc. I could see it. :yes:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes and No.
Sucker for a sob story, Yes. Ripped off by a pyramid scheme, No.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The situations were I might be duped are always calculated.

I've never been called gullible or naive but I do take risks sometimes. It's simple though - it's often after measuring the pros and cons and seeing that the possibility of doing some good is worth the risk of being duped - something some people seem to ignore altogether.

That being said, I'm pretty cynical about things involving money or personal info.

Trope

MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w6
Maybe not that street-wise, but not totally gullible?

L

Lasting_Pain

Yea they are gullible. They usually believe anything that comes out of my mouth.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been told that we NFs are, and at first I laughed...then I suddenly realized, oh wait, I actually am gullible. So. Is this just a stereotype, or do you feel it's vindicated? I'm curious.:smile:
We also have deep insight into other people's motivations. :thinking:

Or is believing that one example of gullibility?

Of course having both things be true will make every NF fit their category perfectly at all points in time and thus prove its credibility.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I'd say so. I give people the benefit of the doubt many times even when signs may point otherwise. If someone says something sincerely enough, I believe them, even if it seems outrageous. (Ive heard, and seen, weird real shit.things seem not-so-crazy to me lol) etc. I could see it. :yes:
Agreed!! :yes: However, if someone says something sincere, sometimes they really really mean it? I know I might say some of the outrageous things to the person who perceives it that way, when I truly mean what I say? I only say what I mean, bc I CANNOT live with myself if I have to flat out ya know..

Gullibility, depends on the person I'm speaking to, whether or not, I see their intentions as honest or not? My hunches pick up on these things pretty well. I can tell when someone tells the truth if their intentions are pure or not.

My friends have, in the past, called me gullible, bc I come off light-hearted/playful with those I love most. Although I *appear* that way, I know I am not, because I really get a feel for things. If something doesn't quite sit well with me.. I trust myself, in that regard. Plus, I like 4 my life to be full of fun, insight, richness, both good & bad, so whatever.

Nothing's what it seems.. Sometimes, I meet people who are EXTREMELY intelligent/well-educated folks who FALL for the weirdest shiyat, and I think being naive relates to the way we deal with our angst? Some people try to appear the strongest, are in fact, weakest in disguise, especially when they believe in bogus claims to sooth their qualms? It's like they give their power away, their energy, chi, however we wanna call it, so blindly bc they don't quite 'feel' that trust within themselves, I think. That is why I am thankful 4 consciousness. In listening to what my body tells me when something's not quite right, I can still be in control of my thoughts, and deal the with situation accordingly..

Really depends on the person, perhaps? Life? Upbringing?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
I always assume they are playin along with my pseudosincerety. Thus making me (the one writing this) quite gullible. As far as streetsmarts, NF catch on to things the quickest. That or tied with SP. Reason i know-refer to 1st sentance.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
we can understand and comprehend emotional positions and motivations. we allow ourselves to consider the interior of others, and we are very very good at understanding and creating plausible stories that allow us to pyschologize others. we are creative in our methods of understanding, which can sometimes get us into trouble.

plausibility and consideration can be highly inefficient as a way of processing information. sometimes we forget to focus on getting quality information, which has a much bigger mark on the truth of the matter.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Such great responses! :D

I think it's interesting that we've differentiated between being gullible in regards to a money scheme (which is more about common sense) and being gullible in regards to sob stories (which appeals to pathos). I think NFs are more often accused of the second one. Like Sytpg said, it's weighing the pros and cons of doing something good as opposed to duping ourselves. Adding to that, I think Viv made a great point about how we choose who dupes us--wait, let me quote her:

Gullibility, depends on the person I'm speaking to, whether or not, I see their intentions as honest or not? My hunches pick up on these things pretty well. I can tell when someone tells the truth if their intentions are pure or not.

Personally, I'm more likely to act naive or gullible in front of someone I trust than in front of a complete stranger. Maybe we're gullible because we're trusting, then? If someone seems sincere to us, and we consider them close to our hearts, we're more likely to believe what they say, even if it's completely off-the-wall crazy.

We also have deep insight into other people's motivations.

Or is believing that one example of gullibility?

Of course having both things be true will make every NF fit their category perfectly at all points in time and thus prove its credibility.
That's also a great point, toonia.

OregonENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

I think I'm pretty gullible. I remember when I was PLENTY old to know better, my sister convinced me that she had a magic toy at home waiting for me when she wanted to have my grandparents all to herself!!

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can be duped by someone if I'm caught unawares. Ironically,
though I've walked into walls mistakenly, as far as people go
I'm rarely caught unawares.